Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #1  

Default Are you comfortable with your body?

i'm not.
i always feel self conscious about my body.
i won't look in a full length mirror...ever.
i HATE trying on clothes.

i'm looking forward to looking into a full length mirror and being at least ok with what i see.
i'm looking forward to enjoying trying on clothes.

are (and were) you comfortable with your body?
anawhatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #2  
Just Jen

S/C/G: 220/tracker/150

Height: 5"3

No. I'm not. At all.
You're not alone. I hate trying stuff on, I just imagine myself wearing it in public, and I normally can't do it. I adjust my clothes all the time, thinking somethings not concealing me the way I want it to, or something's sticking out. I wanna just walk out my door to go anywhere really, without looking in the mirror 20 times and scrutinizing everything I see.
One day. It's coming...
boardriider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For the most part, yes.

I've never been as body conscious as I was taught to believe a "fat girl" should be.

That doesn't mean there aren't things I want to change about my body, and I'm working on them, but I'm also ok with working with what I've got, even if it's not the exact body what I want. It could be a whole lot worse.

I think it helped that I loved swimming so much that I had to get over the idea that fat girls (and anyone with a less tham magazine-worthy body) were supposed to be horrified and traumatized at the thought of being in public in a bathing suit, and were obligated to protect decent society from the sight of bare fatness.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-17-2011 at 12:30 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I'm generally comfortable WITH my body, but sometimes I am not comfortable IN my body.

I don't mind full-length mirrors and have even grown to like them now, as they show me how much my weight loss shows already. Shopping for clothes is not much of an issue for me as clothes cost money and I don't have much of that . And I definitely don't feel self-conscious about the way I look, at least not where it counts, with my husband. On the contrary, I love to be seen and touched because I feel fantastic right now. I enjoyed it a lot at my highest weight, but it's even better now.

But I definitely still feel uncomfortable in my body sometimes. There are some yoga positions that I can't reach as fully as I'd like because my body literally gets in the way of itself. I can now cross my legs, but it still doesn't come naturally to me to do so and it isn't yet comfortable to do. I can't seem to find my real clothing size, which is a pain as most of my shopping now is secondhand. I still don't have the level of physical fitness I'd like to have. Although I'm a lot more comfortable now than I was 40 pounds ago, I still get in the way of myself sometimes.

So while I'm mostly comfortable with my body and getting more comfortable with it daily, I'm not yet comfortable IN it sometimes. I'm hoping that that will change in the next few months.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For the most part, yes.

I've never been as body conscious as I was taught to believe a "fat girl" should be.

That doesn't mean there aren't things I want to change about my body, and I'm working on them, but I'm also ok with working with what I've got, even if it's not the exact body what I want. It could be a whole lot worse.

I think it helped that I loved swimming so much that I had to get over the idea that fat girls (and anyone with a less tham magazine-worthy body) were supposed to be horrified and traumatized at the thought of being in public in a bathing suit, and were obligated to protect decent society from the sight of bare fatness.
kaplods-I love this. Your posts are great.

I feel pretty good with my body, not just because I've lost the weight either. I pretty much always did. I didn't lose weight to look better (well, maybe that was 20% of it). It truly was for my health. I stand in the full length mirror naked and pull my skin up and think "wow, what I couldn't do with a free plastic surgeon". BUT, other than that, I'm good.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #6  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post
kaplods-I love this. Your posts are great
Yes they are. kaplods, I love reading you. You always seem to center me somehow, so thank you for that.

I've never been completely uncomfortable in my body, but I've been more comfortable at times than others. I don't let how much I weigh define me. I can still feel cute and pretty and oh yes, sometimes dead sexy. It definitely helps that I have friends that b*tchslap me back into reality when I need it.

One of my best male friends is great for this. He always notices when I've lost even a couple pounds or am wearing a new dress or something. He asked me recently if I feel sexier these days, because I'm exuding a confidence he doesn't remember seeing several months ago. That's a huge compliment to me.

The other day I was just all kinds of blah and he was walking behind me down the hall at work. He was all "hey girl -- boobs out, stomach in, shoulders back, head high". I turned around and smiled and he was like "don't look at me, just do it!". So I did. I walked with pride and confidence and I couldn't believe how much just the simple way I walked made me feel better in my own body. Today I was *****ing about my upper arms -- my nemesis -- and he grabbed the back of my arm and showed me the muscle that's developing there. It made me happy, and way less conscious of the cap-sleeve sweater I was wearing.

I don't find my self confidence in other people, but I find when friends do things like that I tend to look back and remember their kind words and advice and it helps me find my inner sex-ay. Sometime, hopefully soon, it'll be my voice in my head instead of theirs.
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

There's bits I'm not thrilled with, but show me any woman at 45 who isn't and I'll show you a liar But that being said, I've always been OK with me, fat or thinner. I'm ME All the flaws and wobbly bits, I'm ME and I love me Always have, always will. I fret so much when I hear people say they hate themselves NOW but plan on loving themselves when they're thin, that's mental. I can see not being thrilled with the size of your bum, etc., but only for a minute. Then look at your face and see that you're cute, or have nice hair, or good b00bs, or nice toenails, whatever! Something good is there! Don't wait til you're perfect to love your body
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Anawhatsme, I hope you experience the same thing I did.

Yes, I had body issues, horrible ones. I had body issues back in high school when I was tiny! Having gained all that weight ended up being a blessing for me, and believe it or not if I had it to do again, I would. But not twice!

What I found was that my body image improved significantly with every ten pounds I lost. I loved my body at 200 pounds. Maybe a size 16? I felt so good about myself both about my appearance and my level of fitness.

You don't have to lose all the weight to start feeling amazing. That's something I didn't know at the beginning of this process.

Now today, at this size, I still have issues. But it's nothing like it used to be! I can talk myself into some sense these days. Whereas before my words to myself used to be "All of me is a blob" now my words are more critical of only certain areas. Before I hated every part of my body. Now I love my fingers, my chest, my arms, my shoulders, my collar bone, my rear. It's easier to tell you what I don't like! I am not yet happy with my belly nor my thighs. That is all. And that may not change.

Last edited by Eliana; 05-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #9  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 250/check tracker/150

Height: 5'5"

At 250 lbs, no. Not even close. I avoided mirrors, shopping for clothing, and cameras like the plague.

Now at 164 pounds, yes and no. With clothes on absolutely! I feel very confident with the way I look when I go out. But when I am unclothed, the stuff that only I can see. I still have some work to do there. It's mainly toning that is my issue. My tummy is kind of flabby from losing all the weight and it needs some serious toning. I am working on it but just like my weight loss it is a slow and steady process. Of course I am still way more confident naked than I was at 250 but I can't say I am 100% happy with what I see.
tschaff04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #10  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 250/check tracker/150

Well said! I agree 100%. I was still confident with certain things at 250. Sure I wasn't to thrilled about being over 100 pounds overweight. I could find plenty of flaws. But I loved some things too. I still thought I was cute, even if someone else didn't. I knew better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
There's bits I'm not thrilled with, but show me any woman at 45 who isn't and I'll show you a liar But that being said, I've always been OK with me, fat or thinner. I'm ME All the flaws and wobbly bits, I'm ME and I love me Always have, always will. I fret so much when I hear people say they hate themselves NOW but plan on loving themselves when they're thin, that's mental. I can see not being thrilled with the size of your bum, etc., but only for a minute. Then look at your face and see that you're cute, or have nice hair, or good b00bs, or nice toenails, whatever! Something good is there! Don't wait til you're perfect to love your body
tschaff04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #11  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I didn't always "like" my body, and sometimes I felt like it was my enemy in the weight-loss fight, but I didn't HATE it. Now, however, with some 30+ years of obesity and a baby behind me, I am really uncomfortable with my panniculus. The rest of me is just "big"; I've dealt with "big" all my life. But the belly is droopy, wiggly, and gross.

That being said, I am finding that the more energy I have and the less pain I suffer (from being more active as I slowly lose weight), the better I like my body.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM   #12  

Height: 5'4''

I hate my body. I hate the tube of unmovable fat around my midline. I hate the noticeable stretch marks across my stomach (and I haven't even had kids), I hate how dispropotionate I feel. I wish it was all some illusion, all in my head, but it isn't really.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #13  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

I don't know if I'm always totally comfortable with or in my body, but I've become a lot more appreciative of it and take more pride in it.
I've changed it, and I'm proud of that. I'm not at the point where I can say there is nothing I want to improve on, on some level I'm not sure I'll ever be able to say there isn't something I'd like to improve on - but that's my own issue I think.
For the most part though, I'm very proud of what I've done, proud of what I can accomplish now that I couldn't a year ago and proud of myself for making the effort to improve myself.

But . . . I do have my moments that I am all ego and think I am just all kinds of fabulous!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #14  

Yes! I have lost several friends to cancer already and I am just so happy to be here and relatively healthy. When I look in the mirror I concentrate on the parts of me that are beautiful. Every part of me works (more or less LOL), I can walk and dance and exercise. I don't understand the self hatred, never did, if you don't love yourself who will
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I am absolutely not comfortable in my body. I love WHO I am, but I hate how I look. I am working on it. It takes time, but it's time spent being very uncomfortable. This discomfort will be what keeps me from coming back here. This discomfort is what gives me a minor heart attack every time I see an increase on the scale, even if it's just TOM, or sodium. THIS discomfort is vital to my newer and healthier life.

When I run (I just do teeny tiny bits on my Wii, in the house for now), and the extra weigh bounces around, especially in areas that shouldn't have a bunch of fat (like the back), and I am realizing how gross and uncomfortable it feels, I just picture it being bounced off. That keeps me running. I use the discomfort as a tool to help me get to where I want to be.
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote