Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #1  

Default I just finished the full marathon!...

...on my bike. Since I could not run the 5K coz I hurt my foot, I volunteered to bike the marathon, zipping back and forth to help runners between water stations. So I figured I biked about 32 miles or so. Not bad for my first time on the bike this season, I guess.

OMG, it's 35-40 degrees, freezing rain and 25 mph wind gusts! My feet were entirely numb from the ankle down. But what a great event!

My hats off to those of you who run 1/2 and full marathons. That is an incredible achievement.

Who here has braggin' rights? List your first race (5K, 10K half or full), tell if you got the bug and how many other races you've done since.

I would also recommend anyone contemplating an event like that to volunteer at one. It's sure to grab you and motivate you like nothing else.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Awesome!

I ran my first half last November. It was so amazing I'm running my second in August and just started training. AND At the moment I'm on the fence about running the LA marathon in 2012. I have a couple injuries I haven't let heal properly and I'm a mom with a hectic work schedule and a needy DH so we'll see if I have the time and stamina to train for one.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

I did my first 5k last weekend! And then another today...

I'm also signing up for a quarter marathon in September. Undecided as to whether I have any desire to train for a half.
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8

I did my first half last year just to impress my then date now boyfriend. He's been pushing me hard ever since!
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

Doing my first Half this September! Prior to that I did a 5K and an 8K. I decided to just go for it . Training schedule formally starts the week after next...eeeep!
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #6  

WooHOOOoooo!!! Those are some great achievements! Anyone on the fence about a race should go for it. 13 miles IS a lot, but once you can run 3-5 without stopping, it's really just mind over matter. Marathon? Now, that's another story. That takes months of training dedication to prepare the body for the endurance and to prevent injury. I have SO much awe and respect for those that do fulls.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I did my first 5k in April 2010 in 38:50.
I have done a bunch since then - the most recent was the same one again this April and my time was 34:26

I am registered for a 10k (eek!) at the end of this month.

And I am doing a sprint distance Triathlon in September.

The thing I like about running races is that it gives my exercise "purpose". Like - I am not just running to lose weight (boring!) but rather running to run faster and do races and get 'free' T-shirts and talk to other runners about running!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
I did my first 5k in April 2010 in 38:50.
I have done a bunch since then - the most recent was the same one again this April and my time was 34:26

I am registered for a 10k (eek!) at the end of this month.

And I am doing a sprint distance Triathlon in September.

The thing I like about running races is that it gives my exercise "purpose". Like - I am not just running to lose weight (boring!) but rather running to run faster and do races and get 'free' T-shirts and talk to other runners about running!
Nice improvement in your time!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #9  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
WooHOOOoooo!!! Those are some great achievements! Anyone on the fence about a race should go for it. 13 miles IS a lot, but once you can run 3-5 without stopping, it's really just mind over matter. Marathon? Now, that's another story. That takes months of training dedication to prepare the body for the endurance and to prevent injury. I have SO much awe and respect for those that do fulls.
I agree. After you've consistently run 3-5 miles, the half marathon is something to strive for and you can definitely do it.

I have run 2 half marathons and have another one on June 12th. Will start training in August to run a full marathon in Dec. I am really excited about it. I run 5k's most weekends with 10k's and other mileage thrown in there. I also bike a lot. I have considered a triathlon, but can't swim in water over my head due to seizures. Darn. I want to run at least one marathon for bragging rights, but I think the training schedule will be very difficult and I'm not sure if I have the patience to consistently run that far.

Congratulations and thank you for doing the biking for the marathon. I think it's great that you thought of volunteering, even with an injury, rather than just giving up. WOO HOO!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by milmin2043 View Post
I agree. After you've consistently run 3-5 miles, the half marathon is something to strive for and you can definitely do it.

I have run 2 half marathons and have another one on June 12th. Will start training in August to run a full marathon in Dec. I am really excited about it. I run 5k's most weekends with 10k's and other mileage thrown in there. I also bike a lot. I have considered a triathlon, but can't swim in water over my head due to seizures. Darn. I want to run at least one marathon for bragging rights, but I think the training schedule will be very difficult and I'm not sure if I have the patience to consistently run that far.

Congratulations and thank you for doing the biking for the marathon. I think it's great that you thought of volunteering, even with an injury, rather than just giving up. WOO HOO!!
Thanks right back at ya! You have amazing achievements! I'm pretty sure that most here don't brag about what they do in real life, but as an anonymous forum, I think it's totally acceptable and healthy to give ourselves and others here a pat on the back. You deserve that. Is there an icon for that? That's the closest one I found.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #11  

I ran my first 5k today Yes it was very slow (37:28) but I am totally okay with that!

I already have another 5k, a 10k, and a 1/2 Marathon(Nov) planned out and I'm super excited to start training! So far I love it and my poor boyfriend is already getting sick of me talking about running, but I think he's just going to have to suck it up!
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

Great job on biking that distance!
I started running last July and ran my first 5K race end of Aug 2010 in 32:19. Then on Oct 3 I ran the Race for the Cure 5K in 29:00 and then at the end of Oct I ran another 5K race in 27:30. This Spring I had my first 5K on Apr 30 and ran it in 25:36 (but the course was slightly short).
I also ran my FIRST 1/2 marathon this month! Time was 2:08:57. I am running another in September with my hubby this time! I love love love running =)
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #13  

KSwood - give yourself some credit! 37:28 is NOT very slow for beginners! And like Rawbanana, you'll strip minutes off your time next race, I'm sure! Congrats, raw, btw.

Raw, before I had kids, I biked the MS150 which is 75 miles the first day, sleep over night, and 75 miles back the next day. It was about 100 degrees out that race. I feel that since it was so long ago, I have lost bragging rights, but wth, I can live vicariously thru my age. Right? lol
Old 05-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/136/133

Height: 5'-5"

Sorry to hear about your foot, but that's awesome that you volunteered out on your bike! Volunteering at a race can be very rewarding.

I ran my first 5K in 2008 and haven't looked back. 20+ races later and I just completed my first trail ultra marathon (31 miles) this month!

Last edited by Trail Runner; 05-23-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Trail Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #15  

Holy carp, trail runner!!!! That is incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!