Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default My mom and dad are awesome

My mom and dad started their own weight loss journey 5-6 years ago, and have completely changed their lives. My parents, both hovering around 400 pounds are now both at their maintenance weights, and are very athletic. They have seen me undertake weight loss many times since then and kind of slough off after awhile. Until now, where going on two and a half months I have been consistently exercising and eating on a plan. I am the only one motivating me this time, as before it has been because I felt pressure in the midst of my parents doing so amazingly to try it myself. But, under the pressure I have crumbled. This time, it is so different. My attitude about exercise has changed completely and started running. I actually do like it-honestly, I do. I never thought I would, but lo and behond, I do. I complained to my mother that I was going to have to buy new shoes soon, and in an effort to make sure I had proper running shoes, she and my father shipped me a pair of Inov8 running shoes. Today I got to try them out on my three mile run and boy were they better than any other pair I've ever had. It means a lot to me that my parents are such great support, and they wanted to see me do well. I think they see me really changing, as before they had to coax me up from the couch to go on a one mile walk. Now, I am willingly doing it and loving it. I am just so happy with them, and with their amazing and generous gift. And seriously, these shoes cut 3 minutes off my run time-I don't think I really had proper shoes before, though they got me through for a little while. Anyway, I just wanted to brag on my parents for being awesome, and about these new shoes which give me renewed happiness about the whole running thing in general. I am still slow, at 37 minutes for 3 miles, but it was a lot less slow than the usual 40!!!

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 05-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #2  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Your parents ARE awesome, and it's awesome that you realize it and tell them so!
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 PM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow! How nice to hear a story about awesome parents rather than parents who were/are "putter downers" and food pushers. It really is terrific that they are so supportive of you and your efforts, and that you recognize it. What a nice story.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Yes, they are my heroes, really. I live across the country from them and my sister, but we are still very close-some of the most important people in my life. I told my mom and dad thank you so many times, but I guess they don't really understand how much I appreciate it and that it means more to me than just shoes. Well, maybe they do realize it but are being very modest about how big a deal it is. My mom and I talk everyday about how great it will be when I get there, and I will instantly have two more running partners and maybe another if my sister is game. We'll run in the desert at the coolest time of year and I love the desert so I just cannot wait. I am really just lucky as heck to have parents that are so great, so inspirational, understanding and supportive. When I am with my family, no matter where it is, it is truly home, even if we're in a fantastic quarrel.

And about the food pushing, and put downs, my parents have heard it all and been through it all when they lost so much weight themselves. I remember Christmases where my grandparents would send fudge knowing that we couldn't have it around, except on Christmas day. If they didnt' gorge themselves, they were chastised in a passive agressive way by both sets of my grandparents and our relatives. From their friends and co-workers, people would accuse them of being sick or obsessed. The only thing I ever saw was a renewed happiness and zeal for life and where they used to have horrid marriage problems before, they seem to have fallen in love all over again without all the stress of the weight and limited lifestyle. So, they are really people that understand everything I've gone through and will go through in that area. I am very lucky.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 05-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote