Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/147.2/125

Height: 5 ft 5 in

Default Anyone ONLY do dvds as their workouts?

Has anyone done only dvds and lost weight? I have 2 kids and can't really get out and do anything with them while my husband is at work. I want to get a bunch of different dvds and maybe mix them up during the week. Or should i stick to the same dvd for a week and then pick another one for the next week? Or a different dvd every month? I also plan on walking as much as i can(and hopefully some running after i walk for a while) but i think dvds will be my main focus. I need somebody to tell me to do stuff and seeing as i can't afford a personal trainer this seems to be the next best thing. Please let me know what has worked for you!
slvrangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #2  

I definately think that if you got a variety of DVDs, you should be able to fulfill all your fitness needs. I like to make sure I am getting strength, flexibility, cardio and balance. So for strength, you can try pilates, bootcamp, or resistance band DVDs. For flexibility and balance try yoga, and for cardio, try out dance videos. I'd try to mix it up during the week to make sure you are getting a good balance for your body. Plus it will keep you from getting bored.
You'll find that Netflix has a lot of DVDs and even some streaming; it's a good place to test out workouts so you can see if you like them before shelling out cash.
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Yes! I was doing Curves too at first but then quit due to the expense.
I've done only dvds, walking and have a exercise bike (found for $10 at a thrift shop)
I've lost nearly 140 pounds.
I try not to overly complicate the dvd thing. If you like a schedule you can plan a routine and rotate your dvds, but I discovered I get frustrated when I do that. I just do whatever dvd I feel like doing for the day.
Good dvds/instructors
Billy Blanks Tae Bo
Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds-walking for beginners
Jackie Warner-she has some good strength routines
10 minute solutions series
Denise Austin-she is a little cheerful so that might be distracting but has good cardio and strength dvds
Kathy Smith-again good strength and cardio routines

Just avoid doing strength routines more than one day in a row. You can buy dummbbells (I have some up to 10 pounds) but I learned they get expensive when going up in the pounds...but there are also bands too!! You can get a Gold's Gym band set with 3 different bands (different resistance) and there is a set where there are 3 bands that you can even link on the same handles to add resistance for different muscle groups
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #4  

Right now i have the 3 different resistance bands, the Jillianj Michaels balance ball that came with a dvd, Be a Knockout with Kendra dvd, Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and a kickboxing dvd. I've heard that Jillian's dvd incorporates cardio and strength training. Is it bad to do that dvd 2 days in a row or is it such a small amount that i don't have to worry about it?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I have two boys, 12 and 9. I've done dvds only for years (and lots of walking because we don't own a car). In the past, I did step aerobics with a few different videos (back when we used videos, that is). Later, I got a few kick boxing and high intensity aerobic dvds. I would turn off at various points and add jump roping or other movements to increase the total calorie burn. I also liked a few of the earlier Biggest Loser dvds.

Now, I only do the Firm (500 Calorie Workout), four times a week. It has five minute interval segments with high-low movements with weights interspersed with five minute high energy aerobics for a total of almost 65 minutes. It's comprehensive with using lots of different movements throughout for weights. Also, there's lots of core building movements. I wear ankle and wrist weights too.

I have permanent knee problems (thanks to all the jumping and jumping and jumping I did in 2009 to lose all my weight) so I modify the workout on the Firm's movements for low-impact but I also increased my upper arm movement to keep up the energy.

My living room is wood floors and it's very small. We only have one tv/dvd so when it's my time the whole family has to find another place to go for an hour. Over the years, the kids know that they can't interrupt or get anything from me until I'm done. They either ask before I start, wait til I'm done, or go to their dad (if he's home).
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrangl View Post
Has anyone done only dvds and lost weight? I have 2 kids and can't really get out and do anything with them while my husband is at work. I want to get a bunch of different dvds and maybe mix them up during the week. Or should i stick to the same dvd for a week and then pick another one for the next week? Or a different dvd every month? I also plan on walking as much as i can(and hopefully some running after i walk for a while) but i think dvds will be my main focus. I need somebody to tell me to do stuff and seeing as i can't afford a personal trainer this seems to be the next best thing. Please let me know what has worked for you!
I do exactly this. I started out using my Dance Dance Revolution game and online videos off exercisetv.com. Then I started using a Firm video my sister had. More recently I bought a Jillian Micheals' video and a walking video. I'm a single mother of two young boys and am unemployed currently so I have to do what will allow me to watch the boys at the same time and won't cost me a bunch of money. I've been slacking on the exercise lately but still seeing a loss. Almost 30 pounds down. 50 more to go!
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #7  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

I only do things I can watch online lol. Poor people deserve to lose weight too! I have 70 something zumba videos on you-tube, the instructors tape their class. It's fun and doesn't get boring. I've started doing Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred and that is a work out!

Going to try turbo fire soon, it looks like a blast!
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #8  

Holy cow, you all just reminded me of the Exercise tv on Comcast's On Demand. So i go and look and they have a bunch of Jillian Michaels workouts: 30 Day Shred 1, 6 Week 6 Pack 1, Last Chance Workout, Quick Trouble Zones, Yoga Meltdown... you have no idea how excited i am!!! I was totally going to go out and buy 30 Day Shred and now i don't have to! And there's kickboxing which i toootally want to do! There's even work out plans! Why am i buying dvds if i get all this with my cable package?! I'm gonna throw the dancing carrot in here because i am THAT excited!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #9  

Height: 5'1

Me too, I also only do workout dvd's. So far, everything's been good and I steadily losing inches
seina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I used to do 30 Day shred--highly effective and definitely a double thumbs up. You can also do walking with Leslie Samsone?? I like her and it's easy.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I have a walking with leslie dvd...love it!
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #12  

Height: 5'9"

There's a fitness video forum here at 3FC which should give you a good idea of all of the different videos people are doing. Check it out.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

I'm work full time, single mom and live in an apartment. Work out DVDs work best for me. Even though our apartment complex has a fitness center its not open 24 hours so I have to be sure I'm there during their office hours. Much of that is not condusive to my schedule.

I'm using p90x with a combo of fitness videos on Excercise TV. We also have a WII so Dance Games help get in a bit of fitness for me too.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #14  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

These 40+ Zumba Vids should keep you busy for a while
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #15  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Owner View Post
These 40+ Zumba Vids should keep you busy for a while

thisisbrilliantiloveyouwillyoumarryme?!!

thank you x infinity!!!

((also, your sig quote makes me giggle whenever I see it!))

Last edited by summershine; 05-17-2011 at 08:17 PM.
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote