General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default My favorite teacher, Mr. Holston, passed away

I had to get all the way to high school to find a teacher who truly moved me with his teaching, actions and inspiration. Mr. Holston was the band director at my high school.

He had a special class in my jr. year that encompassed 6 chorus members, 6 band members and 6 students that weren't in either program. There were 2 per class year (soph, jr. and sr). We, the chorus and band members, had to take 1 of the non musical students and teach them to sing or play an instrument. We also had to play a different instrument at the same time. Since I play the flute, I chose the recorder. I had to chose a different key, so I chose the alto and gave her the tenor. I had to transpose. It was a challenge but we both got As.

We also had to look at different music scores and determine the key (no clefs) as well as figure out when it was written and what was happening in the world at that time.

Gee, that was a time when teachers were allowed to teach.

Good Bye, my dear professor and mentor.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Mr. Holston left a wonderful legacy.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243

Height: 5'5.5

Sorry for your loss <3
GeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #4  
amber

S/C/G: 318/288.8/220

Height: 5'5"

Teachers like that are the ones you're glad to have known and will never forget. I am very sorry for your loss.
ButterCup85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sorry for your loss MARE...I think most of us have a favorite teacher that we will never forget.

I know my son had 2, both history teachers and and also coached him in cross-country and track and basketball through high school. They were such great guys and mentors that he chose to teach high school history and coach also. They both attended his wedding and are friends of his (and mine) still today 12 years later.

Thanks for asking about me in the other thread....hug...I am around right now only on the week-ends....working out of town and when I do get home a lot of my time is with my GRANDdaughter!!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #6  
ugggg.....

My favortie teacher was Mr Arnold who dressed up as a leprechaun on St Patty's day, always had a kind word, and always added an "extra" credit question on his tests that had no wrong answers...(his version of no kid left behind) his wife was both my kindergarten teacher and taught my Sunday school class...they were the best...

sorry for your loss, but glad you had a great teacher...every kid deserves at least one they cant forger..

Last edited by jules1216; 05-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

So Sorry Mare, he sounds like he was a REAL teacher. Something my DD is going to try to achieve as a music teaching major.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote