South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/229/165

Height: 5'5"

Question Day 1 of Phase 1

Here I go! Launch day. Any insight into how you got thru the first few days would be greatly appreciated. I'm really determined and have read thru the book cover to cover. I am very worried about sugar/carb withdrawals. I've hit a wall and am sick and tired of being fat. I want to eat better and live better and I'm gonna do this!!!
mistyseaocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #2  
Happy as a clam..........

S/C/G: 268/178/165

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! You made the first step with the determination.
The phase 1 is about "detox" so be patient with yourself.
I did experience the "SBD flu" but it was brief. You might
feel a bit "off" and wondering if you are getting sick. Hang in
there and fight through it, it is SO worth it! I love this way of
eating (aka WOE) and it is SO doable. Good luck with your
journey and always know there is a ton of support here.
downsizer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

My best advice to you for Phase one is plan your snacks. I started phase one on the first day back at work, and everywhere I went there was a table filled with bagels, donuts, or pastries. Knowing I had my pistascios (sp) in my purse is the only thing that kept me on plan those first few days. Good luck to you!
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #4  

Smile

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement! Just taking the first 2 weeks day by day. I'll be fine once I can have fruit. Day one already halfway over))
Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

My other recommendation is gum. There are sugar-free varieties of chewing gum out there, but most that aren't still only have about 5 carbs per stick. Honestly, I found this a really good way to get past the cravings on the first few days of the diet. Otherwise, I just kept on reminding myself why I was doing this and how much better I was going to feel in the long run. And you know what? I was right.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

Yeah my advice is to prepare. Phase 1 is trickier because you find you open your fridge and draw blanks; partly because your mind might be overwhelmed with do's and don'ts, and partly because its so new and an adjustment hasn't taken place. Just remember its temporary and your mind will catch up and 'gel.' So prepare meals that you can just take out of the fridge and heat up. It takes more time, but makes P1 soooooo much easier.
When I wouldn't have something prepared, lunch would be 2 cheese sticks, deli turkey slices and a few celery sticks, with maybe some almond butter and it was SO BORING so I learned my lesson. (Even though now I don't much mind a meal like that!)
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: maintaining

I agree, planning and preparation are key. I found the first days hard. Come here whenever you need some support. Welcome.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #8  

You CAN do this! The best part about South Beach is that if you fall off plan, you can always get back on plan with the next meal, snack, or even the next day!
I am with you this week! I need to restart Phase 1 after I get the kitchen restocked. I made it through Day 10 last week and then completely fell off track. We were busy and eating out and then we had my son's birthday party. Ouch!!! Time to get back on plan!
Honestly, I know how much better I feel when I stay on plan. I have more energy, I am in a better mood and I have less headaches. You would think that knowing this would help me stay on track!!! Ahhh!!!
But I am ready to start again. I have a few meals in the fridge ready for the week and snacks ready to take to work. Like a few others have already said-Plan, Plan, Plan!!!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes for you!
~Becky
HungryMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

Height: 5'6"

Cooking ahead helped me a lot. After I read the book, I made several of the recipes that sounded good to me (like black bean soup). I also cooked a bunch of chicken breasts so they would always be ready if I ran out of ideas and just wanted to have a chicken salad. I also make lunches the night before so I don't have to rush in the morning.
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Welcome!

I think one thing which helped me the most was I kept reminding myself P1 was only 2 weeks and there was no food or event that would derail me for that short time in my life. Life happens but my biggest P1 success was going to a birthday party for a friend during happy hour; I ate my snack in the car, went in for 45 min. and sipped on a seltzer and left just as the snacky bar food was served.

My second success was when I had a blood sugar crash(I don't get them anymore) mid afternoon and didn't have a snack. I parked at the grocery store and sat in the car and made my plan before going in; I avoided the snack and candy aisles and went right back to the deli and got 1 pc of baked chicken. I didn't attempt any other shopping when I was feeling weak and tempted.

My best and continual success is to post here every day, rain or shine. My friendships here keep me motivated thru thick or thin.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

Oh, to add to the planning ahead: I don't tend to cook my meals ahead of time, as I have plenty of time to do so each night, but I do plan my shopping trips. The problem is, I often forget the recipes that I'd meant to use for the food I got. So I've taken up the habit of writing down the next 4 or 5 dinners on the fridge so I won't forget, and so food won't spoil. It also prevents me from cheating.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #12  

Wow!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I made it through Day 1 and am onto Day 2. Definitely have SBD flu. Weird dreams, up all night going potty, feeling very "off." But I've always felt this way on day 2 of any diet change. It's really just detoxing from sugar and carbs. I just have to keep telling myself that I am getting plenty of food!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #13  
Ready For Prime Time

S/C/G: 179/175/Fit & Strong

Height: 5'7" Age 47

Misty, I've found that including legumes every day is really, really helpful. A nice big salad with 1/3 c of black beans (or your choice) is delicious and satisfying!

I'm just starting SBD again, too. However, I've had fantastic luck with it in the past. I'm actually doing a "modified" version now, based on what worked best for me in the past.

You can do it! This part isn't about calories - it's about detox. Think "quality" vs "quantity".
Just Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyseaocean View Post
Wow!! Thanks for all the suggestions. I made it through Day 1 and am onto Day 2. Definitely have SBD flu. Weird dreams, up all night going potty, feeling very "off." But I've always felt this way on day 2 of any diet change. It's really just detoxing from sugar and carbs. I just have to keep telling myself that I am getting plenty of food!
I hear that about the dreams and going to the bathroom all night! My first few days on p1 are spent peeing every half hour! And I find I constantly dream about eating off plan or gaining weight. I don't necessarily crave anything during the day, I think I am just dreaming about failing! Stick with it though, you can do it!
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/212/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies! Same here, back on the wagon that is. I didn't fall off, I jumped right into a carb marathon and I am paying for it with a headache today. BUT, I am happy to be back. I know I can do this and I am happy to have folks to do it with!
Shelbelle2010 is offline   Reply With Quote