Old 05-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Default What's your favorite thing to make for dinner that's IP Phase 1 friendly?

I've been really good at getting ideas from all different sources, tweaking ingredients, and making IP-Phase-1-friendly meals for dinner, something different almost every day. It's a new beloved hobby of mine, something I never knew I enjoyed - cooking. The creativity and experimentation are what attract me to it the most. However, I notice that lately, maybe the past week or 2, I've sort of settled on a select 4 or 5 meals that I know are my faves when I don't have time to be creative or search for other recipes.

Basically, I just don't want to get sick of preparing and eating my favorite meals!

I know there's already a recipe thread, but I was wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite thing they like to make for dinner (preferrably if it's Phase-1 friendly ), and even better, if you can let me know where to find the recipe so I can try it out too!
Treena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 231/145.2/145.2

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treena View Post
I know there's already a recipe thread, but I was wondering if anyone would like to share their favorite thing they like to make for dinner (preferrably if it's Phase-1 friendly ), and even better, if you can let me know where to find the recipe so I can try it out too!
I eat a lot of fish, because we get more of it. Salmon is my favorite, but I also will make cod, flounder, sole, etc.

With the salmon, I douse the bottom of a glass pan with soy sauce, put the fish in, and then generously douse the entire piece of fish with soy sauce. Bake the whole thing at 350 for 20 minutes. Easy peasy, and soooo tasty.

Cod I like to do cajun - I use the McCormich perfect pinch stuff - and just spray the bottom of the pan, douse the top of the fish in spices, and spray the top. Also at 350 for 20 minutes.

For veggies, I'm a big fan of baby bok choi if you can find it, or spinach, or escarole sauteed with some garlic.

OMG - if you're willing to use up one of your two servings of 'occaisional' veggies - cut an eggplant into cubes about 1 inch square. Toss with salt and a little bit of olive oil, and spread out in a glass pan maybe 2 inches deep. Spray it if your olive oil doesn't coat the pieces well enough. Toss it in the oven with your fish - takes about 1/2 hour. That's my absolute favorite.
Lisaf373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #3  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Rouladin and tabouli salad! MMM!

Rouladin - Thinly cut steak, spread mustard on it, add sliced pickles, roll and tie, fry with a bit of water in the pan so it doesn't dry up and voila!! It's the closest thing to a McDonalds hamburger. Someone suggested adding diced onions once cooked, which I'm going to do next time!

Tabouli - One or two bunches of fresh parsley finely chopped, I usually chop it in the food processor, just make sure not to over do it or it gets a little mushy, add one or two diced tomatoes, one bunch of chopped green onions, then olive oil, sea salt and lemon juice to taste. I usually add about 1/4 cup olive oil and probably 1/2 - 2/3 cup of lemon juice. Freshly squeezed lemons taste the best, but I use bottled for convenience.

The tabouli helps keep things flowing inside of me! If you are having it the next day I usually add a little bit more lemon juice and salt since it seems to soak it up.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/156/125

Height: 5' 0"

Shrimp tacos! You can do this with any kind of meat, really, but I enjoy shrimp or fish the best. I cook the shrimp up with some Mrs Dash chipotle lime seasoning and make some coleslaw with WF coleslaw dressing and some red (purple?) and green cabbage. I wrap it in pieces of lettuce, use whatever kind you like, and squeeze some lemon over the top!

I am also in love with chicken teriyaki. Soy sauce and splenda makes a very nice teriyaki sauce! I will also use my teriyaki sauce as marinade for my flank steak. Very good.

As far as the veggies go, I roast pretty much everything. Roast asparagus, brocolli and cauliflower are my favorites.
Lalison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #5  
IP Started 10 May 2011

S/C/G: 150/132/95

Height: 5'

Last night I made Venison Meatloaf, I'm from the south so I was really craving some comfort food(rice & gravy). Venison is pretty wet meat and without eggs and/or breadcrumbs to bind it I used dried mushrooms instead. For one pound of meat I used 1c. dried morel mushrooms. Grind the mushrooms in a food processor or chop into tiny bits by hand, mix the meat, dried shrooms, fresh sage and 1/2 tsp. yellow mustard, salt liberally and mix well. Allow mixture to sit for an hour or so for the mushrooms to absorb water and bind mixture. Form into either patties or a loaf and sear on both sides to brown, remove and finish cooking in the oven. In the same pan used to brown the meat saute a clove of garlic and 1c. of sliced mushrooms until caramelized. De-glaze the pan using 1c. of chicken stock and reduce until desired consistency. I served the "gravy" over shredded cauliflower "rice" that I poached lightly in chicken stock. It was yummy and homey, felt like I was cheating
Tab McButterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #6  

Thanks so much, all of you! I'm printing out all the recipes and try a couple out this weekend.

Lisa: Thanks for the idea with the eggplant! I used it in a recipe recently and I did NOT like it! I'll be happy to cook it differently to see if I like it better.

Tab: I've never thought of using crumbled dried mushrooms as a breadcrumb replacement - creative!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #7  
Kathy

S/C/G: 165/120/120

Height: 5' 1"

I just love the grilled meats including shrimp, plus my husband is the grill master. For my veggies, kabobs are great or I'll make a cucumber salad with fish sauce, lemon juice a bit of splenda and thai peppers. So yummy!
Alaskaipjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #8  
Maintenance since 8/2/10

S/C/G: 173/130/130

Height: 4'11"

I love Flank Steak and grilled asparagus!

Flank steak marindade:
1/3 c. Worchestershire
1/3 c. Soy Sauce
lots of minced/crushed garlic
Cayenne pepper
touch of sea salt (optional)

I also like Lemon pepper or dill seasoning on my asparagus.
cajunladybug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #9  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

I missed meatballs, so I created my own recipe...

Spicy Southwest Meatballs.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3834212-post440.html

They are delicious... they do require some work, but they are SO worth it.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #10  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Someone else had mentioned "chicken nuggets". Crush 1/2 package SW cheese curls. Use egg white to dip the chicken pieces, then roll in the SW cheese curls for coating. Then bake. I still haven't tried this... but plan to soon.
Pxlkitty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #11  

Again, thanks to everyone for sharing and giving me some great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
Someone else had mentioned "chicken nuggets". Crush 1/2 package SW cheese curls. Use egg white to dip the chicken pieces, then roll in the SW cheese curls for coating. Then bake. I still haven't tried this... but plan to soon.
I did this!! Well, I tried. Instead of dipping the chicken in the egg white and then the cheese curls, I mixed the cheese curls with the egg white and dipped the chicken in the mixture. Don't make the same mistake!! The curls end up absorbing the egg and it didn't stick well to the chicken.

I still attempted to fry it, and it turned out to be very tasty but very messy-looking.

Btw, I definitely miss meatballs, too! Especially crockpot Swedish meatballs. Maybe I can tweak it a little to make IP Friendly swedish meatballs.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #12  
Kristin

S/C/G: 216.1/see ticker/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaf373 View Post
I eat a lot of fish, because we get more of it. Salmon is my favorite, but I also will make cod, flounder, sole, etc.

With the salmon, I douse the bottom of a glass pan with soy sauce, put the fish in, and then generously douse the entire piece of fish with soy sauce. Bake the whole thing at 350 for 20 minutes. Easy peasy, and soooo tasty.

Cod I like to do cajun - I use the McCormich perfect pinch stuff - and just spray the bottom of the pan, douse the top of the fish in spices, and spray the top. Also at 350 for 20 minutes.

For veggies, I'm a big fan of baby bok choi if you can find it, or spinach, or escarole sauteed with some garlic.

OMG - if you're willing to use up one of your two servings of 'occaisional' veggies - cut an eggplant into cubes about 1 inch square. Toss with salt and a little bit of olive oil, and spread out in a glass pan maybe 2 inches deep. Spray it if your olive oil doesn't coat the pieces well enough. Toss it in the oven with your fish - takes about 1/2 hour. That's my absolute favorite.

I also really like salmon! I do the soy sauce thing, but I also add splenda to the mix...and let it sit for a couple hours, then grill on the bbq. SO tasty.

I also like letting chicken sit in soy sauce with fresh garlic and cook it on the bbq.

I have been getting pretty creative too. I really enjoy creating new "legal" recipes that I can eat
Love2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #13  

I take ground pork, chicken or turkey and make into a burger patty. Grill and place on a grilled portabello mushroom cap with pickles, mustard and WF Thousand Island dressing. Serve with salad. So yummy!
Hanna00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #14  
Started IP Jan 6 2011

S/C/G: 214/160/160ish

Height: 5'9 current size 8 and some 6's --never ever been a 6 (not even in highschool)

Caulifried Rice -- with chicken or pork, bok choy, ****ake mushrooms, snow peas (which are an occasional), garlic, zucchini, broccoli, low sodium tamari, a bit of sesame oil, Singapore curry from Penzey's, a splash of 0/0/0 rice vinegar and some red pepper flake/jalapeno/ dried hot peppers-- add a lightly beaten egg to the cauliflower rice and mix all together top with green onions and cilantro

Taco salad with ground pork -- the WF ketchup makes a great base for a "taco style" dressing

Vindaloo Chicken using cauliflower and chicken stock to make an Indian style gravy for the vindaloo -- topped with a modified version of coriander/mint chutney

Asian style soup -- using chicken and chicken stock with ginger, garlic, star anise, veggies (whatever you like) and kelp noodles -- a splash of tamari, some hot chili paste - topped with thai basil, jalepeno (kind of like Vietnamese style Pho)

Zucchini noodles (made with a julian peeler and a large zucchini) -- saute chicken, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, a bit of chicken stock, some grape tomatoes cut in half (occasional veggie), red pepper flake, garlic, some capers, a little bit of pancetta, toss with blanched zuchini noodles, -- top with wilted watercress, and basil

Enjoy dinner!!!!! ( I do every day -- it is my saving grace on this diet)
CheekyWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 152.2/117.6/128

Height: 5'4"

I love Flounder fillets on the grill- I put a piece of aluminum foil down and spray lighty w/ olive oil, I then spray the fillets. I like the Mrs. Dash tomatoe/garlic and basil blend and some sea salt. I usually add grilled zucchini w/apray of olive oil and the same seasoning to the grill. So yum! I cook at med for about 20 min.

I also love ground turkey with a chopped green pepper pan cooked on the stove. I add worcestor sauce and varied Mrs. Dash seasonong and sea salt. One cooked, I add about 1/2 lb of rinsed shiritaki noodles. So yummy!!!
TWoww is offline   Reply With Quote