Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #1  

Default talk me out of the 5k

I have an over-use foot tendonitis and I had planned on running a flat, easy 5K in my hometown this sat. I told myself I wouldn't run. I even volunteered to bike the marathon (safety 911 volunteer for the runners) instead.

Now, my foot is feeling better, but not perfect. Today I found out the winner from last year won't be running. I looked at last year's times. I have a decent shot at 3rd place overall and definite 1st for over 40's. I SO wanna run it! But i know I risk hurting myself worse.

So please please please talk me out of running this!!! I need horror stories of over use injuries gone wrong here.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

I don't have any horror stories for you but I can say that your chances of re-injury are greater than you should take. If you had said "I just want to finish it b/c I made a commitment" I would have said go ahead but don't push yourself. Instead, you're looking to take that third place or better. That means you're going to push it, and you shouldn't do that unless you are 100% healthy, it isn't worth it. Pass on the dreams of glory so that you can keep doing what you love.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Don't do it!!
I don't have a horror story either, but I had bad bursitis in my left knee last year and I ignored it and kept running. I ended up having to take more than 2 months off running and it just about killed me (I mean not being able to run for that long).

If I hadn't ignored my pain and listened to it, I would have been back to running within just a few short weeks. Seriously, it just isn't worth it. I understand the draw, especially to take 1st/2nd/3rd, but I know you don't want to take months off. Take it easy and run the next one.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Remember when I wrote this, in your other thread about exercise you enjoy?

Quote:
I really do enjoy running outside with some good music more, but I have some knee issues, so I can't do it as often as I'd like.
THAT is what happens when you push an injury before it's ready to go. You might end up having to limit something you love forever.

Is one race (that you might not even finish, since you don't know how your injury will do...not to mention that you might get a disappointing time, since the times you're comparing to the other folks and guessing at your place were, I'm guessing, from BEFORE the injury) worth that?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #5  

Thanks, you guys! I'm NOT running it and here's why: How much of an arse would I look like when/if my injury prevents me from finishing! As one of 5 trainers in my tiny town's gym, people would notice. It would NOT be good for business.

I'll heal up and tackle the midnight 5K in July instead.

Last edited by fitness4life; 05-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote