Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

Default I need a breakfast alternative

The diet plan my doc gave has me eating

Turkey bacon, an egg any style and 1/2 a grapefruit, coffee/tea

I don't really drink coffee or tea so thats out.

I need something to replace this that doesn't have bread.I need a fruit that is low on the Gylcemic Index <25. Any ideas?
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #2  
~Kim~

Cherries are the only thing that I know are lower then grapefruit on the GI. Accept for Raspberries, lime and lemon. Which are all supposed to be basically zero.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I eat an apple, sprinkled with cinnamon (quite a bit of cinnamon - which tastes yummy and has been linked to helping with blood sugars) and then I pair it with peanut butter. 2-3 tablespoons. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00939

And apples are a great fruit for diabetics: http://ezinearticles.com/?Type-2-Dia...cs?&id=4065597

They are higher than 25 on the glycemic index, but with their fiber, and paired with a protein, they should keep your blood sugars in check. When I was pregnant with gestational diabetes - this is one treat I could have and not spike my blood sugars.

Now, for the last 4 months I've been eating low carb and eat this every day for either breakfast or lunch (as I love it) and my A1C test went from 8.5 in January to 5.9 in April - which is going from out of control diabetes range to within normal range. So for me, the apples and cinnamon and peanut butter works. If you have a blood sugar monitor - check it out and see.

And, all I've been doing to help with my blood sugar (and cholesterol and high blood pressure) is exercise and eating low carb. I've eliminated all bread, rice, simple sugars and go easy on potatoes and pasta (barilla plus pasta which is higher in fiber) - like eating baby size portions if at all. I don't feel like I'm missing anything and I feel great. All those carbs while tasting good, were making me feel HORRIBLE. I don't miss it at all.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #4  

For fruit, stay with the berries...blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #5  
Bells For Her

S/C/G: 156/112/105

Height: 5'1 and a half!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirlie View Post
For fruit, stay with the berries...blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries.
yep, was going to recommend a smoothie. Chuck in some cherries, blueberries, raspberry, a bit of lime juice and a sprig of mint and whiz it up in a food processor.
belmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I suppose you could ask your doctor what else you can have. That way both of you will be on the same page with it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Are you just sick of eggs? I love mini crustless quiches for breakfast and I put peppers and onion and spinach in them (so good).

You can make a whole batch and then scoop them in a cupcake pan and then heat one or two up every morning. I quiche would probably be 1/2 to 1 egg depending on how many veggies you put in them.

Also what about steel cut oats and berries?

I also like omelettes with salsa and spinach
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

I'm sick of eggs and grapefruit.

How would I make the crustless quiche. That sounds like something I can do.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

A big handful of nuts (you can try the flavored ones like the dark chocolate roasted almonds, so gooooood.) is always good in the morning, and keeps you satisfied until lunch. Also, canadian bacon (very different from regular bacon, and MUCH lower in cals), and plain greek yogurt, not the ones with a lot of fruit flavored goo in them (I suggest Fage 2% fat if you're eating it plain, maybe with a bit of cinnamon and some nuts mixed in for crunch).
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I'm pretty happy eating scrambled eggs+bacon+veggies every day.

That being said... have you tried:

South Beach Diet's pancakes? It's something like Oatmeal+cottage cheese+eggs+vanilla and then lots of blueberries and cinnamon.

Smoothies (yogurt+milk+banana+berries+flax seed)

Sweet Potato bars http://www.cooksrecipes.com/bar/swee...rs_recipe.html I use whole wheat flour but you could certainly substitute that with almond/peanut flour and I use about 3/4 cup maple syrup instead of sugar. Sometimes I'll mix up cream cheese+maple syrup (small amount) and a bit of butter and put that on as frosting.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I eat an apple, sprinkled with cinnamon (quite a bit of cinnamon - which tastes yummy and has been linked to helping with blood sugars) and then I pair it with peanut butter. 2-3 tablespoons. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00939

And apples are a great fruit for diabetics: http://ezinearticles.com/?Type-2-Dia...cs?&id=4065597

They are higher than 25 on the glycemic index, but with their fiber, and paired with a protein, they should keep your blood sugars in check. When I was pregnant with gestational diabetes - this is one treat I could have and not spike my blood sugars.

Now, for the last 4 months I've been eating low carb and eat this every day for either breakfast or lunch (as I love it) and my A1C test went from 8.5 in January to 5.9 in April - which is going from out of control diabetes range to within normal range. So for me, the apples and cinnamon and peanut butter works. If you have a blood sugar monitor - check it out and see.

And, all I've been doing to help with my blood sugar (and cholesterol and high blood pressure) is exercise and eating low carb. I've eliminated all bread, rice, simple sugars and go easy on potatoes and pasta (barilla plus pasta which is higher in fiber) - like eating baby size portions if at all. I don't feel like I'm missing anything and I feel great. All those carbs while tasting good, were making me feel HORRIBLE. I don't miss it at all.
I was just lurking on this thread, but I wanted to say great job on the improvement on your A1C!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, Wasa crispbread, and a small amount of berries are my current breakfast love interests
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
You can make a whole batch and then scoop them in a cupcake pan and then heat one or two up every morning. I quiche would probably be 1/2 to 1 egg depending on how many veggies you put in them.
OMG! I love that idea! I'm going to try making some up this weekend! Do you have a recipe you like and could share? Or is it just eggs and veggies and that's all?

Thanks!
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Here are my current go-to breakfasts:
muffin-in-a-minute (someone posted this in South Beach recipes--I modify it various ways); it's basically an egg with ground flax and a couple of other things microwaved. Sometimes I use chickpea flour instead of flax and sometimes I add blueberries (I'm on SB Phase 2, basically)
white beans and apple chunks with lots of cinnamon DH likes to coombine this with oatmeal, but I save my grains for later in the day
High-protein waffles This is my favourite breakfast. I make up a big batch when I have time and cook them all, then freeze them and toast 1 or 2at a time. My basic recipe is to put the following in a blender, spray the waffle iron with generic spray, then let the ones I'm eating right away crisp in a 275 degree oven for a few minutes:
1/2 - 1 c cooked white beans (I generally cook up a big pot of navy beans on the weekends and use them all kinds of ways)
1 c low fat cottage cheese
6 eggs (or 3 eggs and enough egg white carton stuff to make up the diff)
1/2 c buckwheat flour
1/2 c either buttermilk or yogurt (prefer buttermilk but don't always have it)
1/2 tsp baking powder
a little vanilla or spices like cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
After all this is blended pretty well add
1/2 club soda and mix gently, just pulse (seltzer or carbonated mineral water would work too. If you don't keep that on hand, water and 1/4 tsp baking soda works)
lillyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

i love kefir/buttermilk in the morning blended with frozen berries. yummy! or plain yogurt/greek plain yogurt.
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote