Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 147/135.3/127-132

Height: 5'2"ish

Default Everytime I start exercising again, I get sick...

Everytime I start exercising again, I get sick. Like I get a cold or something. This didn't happen when I was younger but in the last 5 years it always seems to happen. Any thoughts on why this happens? I can't get started properly because I exercise two or three times, I get a cold and have to stop for a week or so and then have to start over, get sick again...

help?
bluemonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I have had this problem in the past. I think it's because you're wearing your body down in turn weakening your immune system. (Though, I'm not a dr. and this is only a guess.)

Your best bet is to slowly ramp up in exercise intensity instead of going all-out immediately. And, make sure you're getting plenty of sleep. My last suggestion would be to bulk up on fruits with Vitamin C in the days before you start to work out.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #3  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Are you exercising at the gym? If so, make sure to wipe the equipment down before you use it. It's proper etiquette to wipe down the machines after you use them, but I see people just walking away a lot...so I've made it a habit to wipe everything down before AND after. Whenever I use the gym, I pick up a lot of bugs too..same concept as when the school year starts and all the kiddies share their colds.
If you're working out at home, I'm out of ideas!
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #4  
going somewhere....

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/125

Height: 5'2

if you are working out outside, could it be allergies and not a cold? Maybe try an over the counter allergy pill and see if that helps.

ready4skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I was going to say what blu said. Gyms are so gross IMO- I'd definitely wipe down before using a machine!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I had this EXACT problem last fall. I was trying to do the P90X program and every single time I started the program I'd be sick within a couple of days, once severely enough that I had chest cavity inflammation that mimicked a heart attack (extreme fatigue, weakness, chest pain and shortness of breath) and put me in the hospital for a day and $5K worth of tests. But this year I'm exercising regularly and not having any problems- although I must admit I haven't fully restarted P90X. I do a video now and then but I haven't tried to do it daily yet! The only things I've changed is that I've added a probiotic, Lysine and more Vit D into my supplementation. My diet hasn't changed. I figure I've had most colds/flus that were out there so maybe this year I'll have some built in immunity. I guess I'll find out when I jump full-bore into P90X again.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #7  

I am working out at home, inside. I am too shy for the gym, have allergies & occasional asthma so nothing outside.

This started happening to me like 5 years ago. I do try to ramp up but it doesn't seem to matter. Also I take a LOT of vitamin C everyday anyway.

This is frustrating. I *WANT* to workout.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #8  

There is a new medicine at the drug stores called Sambucol. You don't need a prescription for it.
And you can also buy Mullein tea over the internet. (You must strain the tea through a coffee filter.)
Both knock out colds and flu in 2 hours. I use both and just don't get colds and flu anymore.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #9  

Oh! I will get some of that tea next spice order I make. I drink a LOT of tea which is a mix of black, chai and green I could probably just throw some of this in too now & then. Thanks!