Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/183/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Working out with a busy schedule

How do people here deal with fitting exercise into a crazy busy schedule?

I'm in my 20s and pretty much just launching my career, so I work about 70 hours every week and travel extensively. Between the long schedule and commuting an hour to work (which I don't recommend to anyone), I'm so burned out by the end of the day that picking up weights or going out for a run seems like much bigger of a deal than it actually is.

I'd hoped to try walking or working out during lunch, but the company I work at now doesn't really have a corporate culture where people take lunch breaks; almost everyone eats at their desk. I've been really happy with my weight loss progress so far (17 lbs in 2011) but I know I could do much better if I incorporated more exercise, not just restricting/counting calories and making healthier food choices.

How have you guys dealt with fitting exercise into a jam-packed schedule? There are so many women (and men!) who are just as busy as I am, and even are raising families and I'm so impressed by how they manage to make fitness a priority during the work week. I just can't figure out how to do it for myself.
brooksider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

The ONLY way that I can work out is to do it before my day starts. I work similar hours and I simply set the alarm earlier and get in a workout before my morning shower. Try setting reasonable goals, like 30 mins, 5 days per week. Traveling is harder but almost all motels and hotels have a basic fitness room with a treadmill and bike. Good luck
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #3  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Riemontana, work out in the morning before your day gets rolling. I'm finding that is the only way for me to fit it in too. Like you at the end of the day I just can't face the weights or treadmill.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

What about weekends? two 90-min workouts give you the same burn as 6 30-min ones. Any is better then none, so if an hour on a Saturday is all you can do for now - do it!

Personally I am already up at 5:30 to make it to work by 7:30, so I prefer to exercise when I get home. The trick is not to sit down! Walk in the door, change into workout clothes, and get it done.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Schedule it. Same as you would a meeting. If after work is simply too draining try before work. Maybe you can't take a lunch every day (though that is really a shame), but how about one day a week you make lunch time a priority and head to the gym. And if you find you can't do every work week, then don't forget the weekends.

On those days you absolutely can't get 30 minutes together, do little things. Get up from your desk to take a short walk when others are taking a smoke break. Stand up while working to stretch. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk those files over to the person instead of getting an intern to do it. I'm not really sure what you do, but there are always small things that will get you take a couple extra steps a day.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/183/150

Height: 5'7"

Thank you so much for all of your advice!

juliana77: I have definitely taken your approach and tried to step it up on the weekends. I'm running a 5K in June (my first one since high school!) so I've been trying to make sure I run a few miles a day or stretch out. I bought the Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred, but haven't quite managed to make it past day 10 yet. Maybe soon!

Riemontana and Skullarix: Whatever you're taking that allows you to do the early mornings, I want in! Getting up early has never been my strong suit, but it would definitely help out if I could buck up and just do it.

Lovely: Thanks so much for suggesting things I can do in the middle of the day! I've tried to take at least 10-15 minutes to walk around the block outside, both for my health and my sanity. I work for a fast-paced online website in DC, so most people are normally at their desks and glued to their phones during lunch or attending events. I've even gotten a couple of dismissive stares from my direct boss on the rare days that I have taken a lunch (that attitude is an entirely different issue...).
brooksider09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
Riemontana and Skullarix: Whatever you're taking that allows you to do the early mornings, I want in! Getting up early has never been my strong suit, but it would definitely help out if I could buck up and just do it.
It's called suck it up and do it! Ok I know that's sarcastic and harsh but seriously. I work 50+ hour weeks, I am also a mom who does all the cooking, cleaning and household stuff and travel with my DH and DS most weekends for fun. I get up at 4:00 AM (ok the alarm goes off at 4:00 AM and I don't get up til 4:30 AM) 4xs a week to run. I also do strength training and yoga 2xs a week immediately after work.

At first getting up that early sucked!!!! But in time it was just part of my life and now I love it. That's my time to clear my head and just be with me. It comes down to your priorities. If it's a priority for you, you'll make it happen. I know how important careers are, but is it really more important than your physical and mental health, in time you'll learn that it's not. I think that's the major difference between your 20s and 30s good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote