Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/157/130

Height: 5'4

Default Alternatives?

Hi, I've been a stalker on here for a few months. I was introduced to this site by my SIL who has met her goal using Ideal protein. I want to start the diet as well, but I can't afford the program. I have 4 children to feed, so spending and extra $80-$100 per week is just not in the cards right now I'm hoping to save a "diet fund" to afford the program eventually.

I've been counting calories and running 5k 3-4 times a week and I've lost 11lbs but I haven't been able to get below 158... instead I yo-yo between 158 & 160 VERY frustrating!!! Plus being older (41) I'm finding it really hard to lose the weight.

Is there someway to do this program without going through Ideal protein. I have read the Alternative thread but was really confused.

How do I start this program and what do I need?

Help!! TIA!
Babyblues4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #2  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

This is what I did.

I printed the IP protocol sheet and posted it on my fridge
I purchase a protein powder, because the RTD shakes I can't stomach. But you could get EAS carb control shakes just about anywhere. If you have a Costco near you, it sounds like they have a bigger variety of shakes to choose from.
You want Calories < 120 (mine is 70) Carbs < 7g Protein > 17
If you can afford too get some alternative "packets" from nashua..I'd highly recommend it, as you will get sick of having a shake 2x per day (that's if you do a phase 2 type of diet eating Lean protein and veggies twice a day). One person on here was directed by her doctor to follow the diet and was told to have 3 shakes a day..that gets old quick.

So my day:

Breakfast: Shake and vitamins
Lunch: Lean Meat and Salad with my 2 c. veggies (though I've bought from nashua now, so I have a "packet" with my veggies and salad)
Dinner: Lean Meat and Salad with 2c. of veggies followed by vitamins
snack: Shake

I hope that helps
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #3  

Thank you MInewgoal! That seems so easy compared to what I was reading on the Alt thread. I got so confused!

I was on the Nashua site, what products do you buy? Is it the Protidiet products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MInewgoal View Post
This is what I did.

I printed the IP protocol sheet and posted it on my fridge
I purchase a protein powder, because the RTD shakes I can't stomach. But you could get EAS carb control shakes just about anywhere. If you have a Costco near you, it sounds like they have a bigger variety of shakes to choose from.
You want Calories < 120 (mine is 70) Carbs < 7g Protein > 17
If you can afford too get some alternative "packets" from nashua..I'd highly recommend it, as you will get sick of having a shake 2x per day (that's if you do a phase 2 type of diet eating Lean protein and veggies twice a day). One person on here was directed by her doctor to follow the diet and was told to have 3 shakes a day..that gets old quick.

So my day:

Breakfast: Shake and vitamins
Lunch: Lean Meat and Salad with my 2 c. veggies (though I've bought from nashua now, so I have a "packet" with my veggies and salad)
Dinner: Lean Meat and Salad with 2c. of veggies followed by vitamins
snack: Shake

I hope that helps
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #4  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

S/C/G: 200.4/191.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Hi there! I too am 41 with 4 kids at home, so I couldn't afford to pay for the IP diet either.

Here is what my typical day looks like:

B: 1 EAS Carb Control Shake, Coffee
L: 1 EAS Carb Control Shake, salad with veggies
D: Lean meat, salad with veggies (sometimes toss in green beans)
Snack before bed: 1 EAS Shake

I've been doing this for 2 weeks and am down 8.8 pounds. I have been trying to get to Curves my 3x a week but it has not happened too much lately due to kids' sports schedules. I do find on the days that I have to work out, I will have a protein bar (Pure Protein) before I do. Helps keep my blood suger in check.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #5  
IP started 4/25/11

I've kept it pretty simple so far.
I buy both HealthSmart (nashua brand stuff)
and Proti-thin and protidiet stuff

You have to compare their info with IP stuff. Not everything is On Program.

This past order I placed was:

Unrestricted- "packets"
HealthSmart Gelatin- Cherry
HealthSmart Gelatin - Strawberry Banana
HealthSmart Hot Chocolate - Mint
HealthSmart Omelet - Bacon & Cheese
ProtiDiet Liquid Concentrate - Kiwi-Melon
ProtiDiet Pancakes - Blueberry

Restricted
HealthSmart Protein Bar - Peanut Butter
Proti-Thin Crispy Protein Bar - Chocolate Decadence

The restricteds are used in place of a packet. They are higher in carb and to be used sparingly. Some ppl don't buy the bars, as they are afraid they'll binge. Pretty sure more then one can easily knock you out of ketosis. I highly recommend reading the book for this diet. The pdf is linked on the first page of the daily chat thread
Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #6  
IP started 4/25/11

So are we doing only ppl with 4 kids on this thread jking of course.

But I'm in my 30s and have 4 girls, and I stay home...so I know what scraping is.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #7  

I totally understand not getting the workout time in. There is always something going on with one of the kids! I've started qoing to the gym at 5:30am!! It really sucks, but at least I'm getting some excersise in. I was always putting my workouts off in the evenings because there was always something more pressing to do (homework, sports schedules etc) Everyone is sleeping when I go. I workout, shower and home by 7 when the kids are getting up.

Have you found it more difficult to lose weight once you hit 40? So frustrating! Once I saw my SIL results I knew it was something I needed to do to give my weight loss a boost. Although Dh supports me 100% in losing the weight he was dead against spending the extra $400-500 per month. Hence the 'diet fund"

I'm going to pick up some the alternative products and start this diet doing it on my own for now. I had set a goal to be 150lb by my b-day (may 21) but I'm stuck at 158 ... It would be nice to lose the 8lbs by then!!

Keep the advice coming!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
Hi there! I too am 41 with 4 kids at home, so I couldn't afford to pay for the IP diet either.

Here is what my typical day looks like:

B: 1 EAS Carb Control Shake, Coffee
L: 1 EAS Carb Control Shake, salad with veggies
D: Lean meat, salad with veggies (sometimes toss in green beans)
Snack before bed: 1 EAS Shake

I've been doing this for 2 weeks and am down 8.8 pounds. I have been trying to get to Curves my 3x a week but it has not happened too much lately due to kids' sports schedules. I do find on the days that I have to work out, I will have a protein bar (Pure Protein) before I do. Helps keep my blood suger in check.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #8  

Quote:
So are we doing only ppl with 4 kids on this thread jking of course.

But I'm in my 30s and have 4 girls, and I stay home...so I know what scraping is.

Too Funny! I don't usually run into many families with 4 children, but I think its becoming more popular.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #9  

Question? What is the difference with restricted and unrestricted?

Quote:
I've kept it pretty simple so far.
I buy both HealthSmart (nashua brand stuff)
and Proti-thin and protidiet stuff

You have to compare their info with IP stuff. Not everything is On Program.

This past order I placed was:

Unrestricted- "packets"
HealthSmart Gelatin- Cherry
HealthSmart Gelatin - Strawberry Banana
HealthSmart Hot Chocolate - Mint
HealthSmart Omelet - Bacon & Cheese
ProtiDiet Liquid Concentrate - Kiwi-Melon
ProtiDiet Pancakes - Blueberry

Restricted
HealthSmart Protein Bar - Peanut Butter
Proti-Thin Crispy Protein Bar - Chocolate Decadence

The restricteds are used in place of a packet. They are higher in carb and to be used sparingly. Some ppl don't buy the bars, as they are afraid they'll binge. Pretty sure more then one can easily knock you out of ketosis. I highly recommend reading the book for this diet. The pdf is linked on the first page of the daily chat thread
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #10  
IP started 4/25/11

As I said in my previous post: Restricteds are a higher carb protein source.

They are to be used sparingly. The newest protocol says they are allowed One time/day. The original diet suggested NOT having any restricted items till the 3rd week. I personally went for 5 days with no restricted items when I started, and now I prolly have them 5/7 days.

BTW- it's probably better if you DO NOT exercise for the first 2 weeks of this diet.

Honestly..this is probably one of the most strict diets I've ever tried. And since all of my children are young, I have contraband all over the place, and have to convince myself constantly that the bite of that isn't worth it. The nice thing is the structure. You KNOW that you can only have the program items, and that's it. No thinking..just doing!

However I've come to the point in my life, that I'm done being this weight. I want it gone! And I'm bound and determined to make that happen. I had an extremely stressful month..and yesterday had to be one of the worst days ever. I managed to get through it without relying on my fall back comfort foods.

So I guess I'm saying, it's not easy, but I think it's going to be worth it. 2 weeks and 13 pounds!! Looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish in 2 months.

Last edited by MInewgoal; 05-11-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #11  

I'm in Canada, is there a cdn site for these products?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #12  
IP started 4/25/11

No. But most ppl have not had to pay customs on them every time.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/170/170

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblues4 View Post
I'm in Canada, is there a cdn site for these products?
proteinwell(dot)ca

not the same products per se, but similar products to IP.

Last edited by LeaArr; 05-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.
LeaArr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #14  
Started Alt. IP 4/25/11

S/C/G: 200.4/191.6/165

Height: 5'4"

That's funny. Maybe we need our own IP Group for people with 4 kids.

I have found it much hard to lose weight since I turned 40. I had my youngest in 2008 right after I turned 39 and it has been a struggle. I was at 165 for 3 or more years before that. Last fall, my dr put me on wellbutrin for perimenopause symptons and I gained 15 pounds really quick. I told her that was going to happen because it happened years before when they put me on prozac for migraines. They say weight gained from antidepressants is the hardest too lose.

I am at the point right now where I am really frustrated. I want to eat what everyone else is. My whole schedule was off yesterday so I was up a pound today. My goal is in the 180's by next Monday (I hope). We are going on vacation on June 5th, so I am going to keep at this as I need to buy a swim suit before we go and some other clothes - but I am putting shopping off til the week before. It should be an active vacation. I need to get some protein powder to take with me so I can have my shake anywhere at anytime.

I really miss chips and salsa most.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbearjt08 View Post
That's funny. Maybe we need our own IP Group for people with 4 kids.

I have found it much hard to lose weight since I turned 40. I had my youngest in 2008 right after I turned 39 and it has been a struggle. I was at 165 for 3 or more years before that. Last fall, my dr put me on wellbutrin for perimenopause symptons and I gained 15 pounds really quick. I told her that was going to happen because it happened years before when they put me on prozac for migraines. They say weight gained from antidepressants is the hardest too lose.

I am at the point right now where I am really frustrated. I want to eat what everyone else is. My whole schedule was off yesterday so I was up a pound today. My goal is in the 180's by next Monday (I hope). We are going on vacation on June 5th, so I am going to keep at this as I need to buy a swim suit before we go and some other clothes - but I am putting shopping off til the week before. It should be an active vacation. I need to get some protein powder to take with me so I can have my shake anywhere at anytime.

I really miss chips and salsa most.
March 11/11 I had a d&C done, I was 3mths pregnant when an u/s found no h/b. I had gained 15lbs!! I've dropped 11 of it, but I'm finding really hard to keep the weight loss going.... even after adding cardio and calorie counting. Last summer I was able to drop 15lbs during the summer by running and cal counting... I weighed 145 and I was starting to fit into my smaller clothes. This time around things aren't as easy! Hopefully, using the alternative products will get things moving!

What does everyone do about the vitamins? I wonder if you can just go in and purchase them??