Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Serious bloat issue

Some background...I have been a maintainer for nearly a year. Through all of weightloss and maintenance, I have JUST been a calorie counter. But I was eating a very carb-heavy diet. As in, oatmeal twice a day and popcorn for a snack. I decided that wasn't healthy, and the scale is stubbornly staying in the higher end of my maintenance range. I'm much more content at 125-127. So, I figured I'd become more "carb aware." I am NOT interested in Atkins or even really low carb. Just much more balanced and eliminating unnecessary carbs.

Here's a sample meal plan.

Morning: Coffee with 2tbsp skim milk (I cannot get myself to eat in the mornings, it makes me physically ill...tried the breakfast thing, didn't work).

Lunch: 6 oz tuna, whole boiled egg, fat free mayo, dijon mustard, 3 cups salad greens

Snack: celery with peanutbutter

Snack 2: carrots and green bell pepper with hummus

Dinner: Baked chicken breast, steamed broccoli, mashed cauliflower, big salad (salad greens, tomato, cucumber, avocado, olives, feta cheese, balsamic dressing)

Snack 3: more carrots and green bell pepper with hummus

I'm well within my calorie range, I have no hunger feelings, I'm not feeling carb withdrawls. I've been eating a similar diet for about two weeks now.

Now this sounds odd, but I do think I've lost a pound or two, but I am unbelievably bloated. I'm in the middle of my cycle when I'm usually not bloated at all. It's not a normal too-much-salt bloat. My rings are not tight, and I don't feel an overall puffy feeling. It's concentrated in my belly. It's firm and distended, even around noon when I haven't eaten anything since the night before. It's very uncomfortable. I am getting enough fiber (25-35g/day), I'm drinking 64fl oz or more each day, I'm walking at least an hour each day as minimum exercise. I've completely lost regularity, I have literally only pooed twice in two weeks and one of those was after taking a laxative. Nothing (exercise/water intake/etc) has changed other than my diet. So while I do think I have lost a little bit of weight, it's sure not showing up on the scale because of this killer bloat.

Is this normal? I'm miserable! I thought people LOST bloat after reducing carbs! What am I doing wrong??
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I definitely agree it's strange, especially if you're getting enough fiber and drinking water.

The bloat is most likely due to your constipation. And costipation is way more dangerous than bloat

What about increasing your fat intake? I noticed you eat quite lean - with some pb and avocado deliciousness.

I would say to try eating more fat. Have olive oil or avocado oil in your lunchtime greens; maybe more avocado in your dinner salad; a larger serving of nut butter?

Or maybe a daily fish-oil supplement?

There's a lot of literature about eating a higher-fat, low-carb diet and i don't want to go there - see Mark's Daily Apple or Gary Taubes' writings.

But I figure it's something you haven't tried yet and therefore might help.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #3  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I agree. Add some fat. I use regular salad dressing and such. If you are going to cut out as many carbs as you have, you can afford a bit of fat.

I know it tastes like cardboard at first (it does take some getting used to), but I would try a slice of sprouted grain bread. It's usually in the cooler next to all the "health food" stuff in my grocery store. I put real butter on it, and it's pretty dang good. You could try the kind with raisins in it. It tastes better to me. I had a piece today for the first time in a month, and it was really good. Anyway, it helps "get things going" for me, if you know what I mean. Also, you could try pumpkin seeds. They seem to work really well for me, too.

Sometimes when you cut back on grains (which is what I like to do because grains really mess with my weight loss, and my skin), then it can mess up your digestion. Overall, bloat for me has been at a minimum since I cut back on carbs. I do have the other problem on occasion, though. Sorry about the TMI.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I agree with adding some more fat.

I also have had issues with this at times, and one of the things that has helped is adding a daily probiotic pill. I thought it was all in my head, but I ran out and didn't go to the store for a bit, and my system immediately felt "off." So I keep taking the probiotic.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #5  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Thanks guys...and for the record, TMI is my middle name. It doesn't bother me one bit; if anything, I share WAY too much of it and WAY too freely, hehe...

It IS a constipation issue, but it feels bloaty. My tummy looks like a prego belly, it's gross and very uncomfortable.

I agree that I need to be eating more fat, I just have such a hard time getting it in my diet. For one, as a calorie counter, the fact that 1 tbsp of olive oil has the same caloric value of a humongous bowl of broccoli or popcorn or something ticks me off. I'd rather eat a huge bowl of something low calorie than a measley tbsp of olive oil. Adding extra fat to my cooking does practically nothing to add to the taste or enjoyment of my food, so I have a hard time adding it. In fact, I dislike the texture of butter, oil, etc and always have. When something has a greasy mouth feel, I don't like it. I PREFER fat free products (dressing, mayo, etc) over regular fat. I was this way when I was overweight. It's not a phobia of eating fat = fat Megan...I just don't like it, lol.

So the little bits of fat that I do eat (avocado, full fat cheese, peanut butter, etc) take a big effort for me to add at all. I might look into the fish oil vitamins...I've heard they were good for the heart, but I wonder if they'd "lube me up" at all, hahaha.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Try adding some ground flax seed (ground is necessary to get all the good Omega-3s - you can buy a bag of Bob's Red Mill already ground, and store it in your freezer) and/or some chia seeds (don't need to be ground). Both have fiber and good fat, and might help some.

I use both in my Greek yogurt. Chia has virtually no taste, but a crunchy texture (if dry) or a more "gummy" texture (if allowed to sit in liquid for a while). Flax has a more nutty taste.

Good luck!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
I agree that I need to be eating more fat, I just have such a hard time getting it in my diet. For one, as a calorie counter, the fact that 1 tbsp of olive oil has the same caloric value of a humongous bowl of broccoli or popcorn or something ticks me off.
More fat does not need to mean 5-6 TBS of coconut oil (I have seen this posted and people wonder why they don't lose weight). Try 1 tsp at a time and see how it goes. My maintenance plan is carb conscious within a calorie budget. You might also find that an increased level of fat will decrease your need to eat voluminous amounts of food for saiety. Additionally, I find ovulation a time of water gain- more so than TOM. I would not have known this at my premenopause age without observing my trend for many, many months. I encourage you while you are watching you carbs & calories to note other trends/symptoms as well.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/162/140-130

Height: 5'6"

Default .

I am new and this is random, but have you taken a pregnancy test or is there any way you are? I mean this in the nicest way possible but it sounds liek you are prego?

Your diet looks great so i dont understand whats going on. Maybe too much sodium?

Many women still have their periods while actually pregnant. Its just a thought. If not then, ignore me
hesmyanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
It IS a constipation issue, but it feels bloaty. My tummy looks like a prego belly, it's gross and very uncomfortable.

There are quite a few natural remedies listed in the internet for your symptoms.
Just search for 'bloating remedies'
You can also visit your local health food stores for their recommendations.
I eat 2 tablespoons of raw pumpkin seeds daily for constipation until it goes away. And crystallized ginger for bloat.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 216.5/ticker/153

Height: 5'4''

The oils/fats you eat don't have to come from the actual liquid or butter. They can come from many sources such as fresh avocado, oily nuts and seeds (especially macadamia's), and even creams like sour cream. You don't have to eat a bunch all at one sitting either -- a lot goes a long way! You could even just add in some olives. I'm a BIG fan of the Omega oils. I try to take one daily (when I remember!). I'm not sure if they will help you any, but you could sure try it out or even buy fish that has a higher fat content like salmon.
JustJ280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it was either the broccoli or pepper in the sample menu you have above, or some other veggie. Even though I eat a lot of broccoli regularly -- like four or five times a week -- sometimes it's fine and sometimes it just does not agree with my digestive system. I don't know whether it's because that crown just got picked on a high humidity day or whatever or if it was in the crisper just a day too long. So it could be something that you have been eating all along and this month you and it just don't see eye to eye, or maybe your system just had a bit of overload.

Any of those things in the cabbage/kraut family are especially notorious -- broccoli, cabbage, brussell sprouts, cauliflower. Today for me it was spinach (actually the leafy green vegetable that looks like spinach in our local market but is not exactly). And I think eggplant does it to me too.

Oh, and the hummus is from chickpeas. Legumes are also gas producers.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

I had reached my goal last summer and this same thing happened to me... and then I found out my stomach and lack of poo was due to pregnancy.

Needless to say my goal weight was shot to **** and now I am back trying to succeed again. Good luck
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Try eating your fat. Bacon, avocado, nuts, seeds. A handful of seeds or trail mix goes a long way. The fat from natural sources makes your hair, nails, and skin look amazing. Think of it as part of your beauty regimen .

The low fat versions of most things have tons of added sugar and added preservatives. It's a lot of work for your liver and could be why you're retaining water and being constipated. Highly recommend experimenting with fat for a week or two...don't worry, fat doesn't make you fat, CARBS make you fat!!!
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote