Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default My Day 1 Experience

Yesterday was the beginning for me. I'm really glad that the Medifast materials warn you that you may be feeling not so hot for the first few days, because I definitely feel that!

The morning started out fine, and after my first meal of the day (a shake) I felt satisfied and nourished. It was tasty, too! I began to notice that I felt hungry about 15 minutes before my next scheduled meal, though--and that pattern persisted through the day. My next meal was a bar, and the meal after that was the beef stew. Around 2:30 I had parmesan puffs as my fourth meal. I really like them! Lean & Green was lean ground beef and a salad that included tomato and asparagus. Finally, for the fifth meal I had a chocolate pudding--also very good.

The soup was good for what it is--basically a cup-o-soup. I didn't try to microwave it directly in a bowl because I didn't want to risk a boil over. Instead, I heated the water, added half of it to the powder and stirred, let that sit covered for 5 minutes, then added the rest of the water and stirred. I microwaved it for about 20 seconds and let it sit another 5 minutes. So, about 10-12 minutes of prep time in there.

I did feel hungry right before meal times, and pretty spacy throughout the day. Luckily I didn't have anything strenuous to do!

This morning I am feeling kind of dizzy and I might have an optional snack early.

Some ideas:
- You can split the Lean & Green meal between lunch and dinner, and I think I would have been less uncomfortable had I done that. You still get the 5 Medifast meals, so it's like an "extra" even though the food amount is the same.
- If you are making a meal that needs some prep time, like the soup, it's good to know that in advance rather than deciding on the spur of the moment. 10 minutes may not seem like a long time, but when you're hungry it seems a lot longer.
- Make sure to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Bars and puffs/pretzels are great for when you can't do prep.
- Water! So important! The meals are concentrated nutrition, and making sure you drink water helps it settle better.

I'm hanging in there...
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-05-2011 at 07:01 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Default Day 2

Day 2: I woke up feeling lightheaded. The feeling persisted until noon, when I guess my blood sugar must have caught up after my first two meals.

I split my Lean & Green between lunch and dinner, and that helped.

Tried the brownie last night--another winner! I also tried the banana shake, but this one isn't as much a winner. A little too much like Circus Peanuts.

Keeping on keeping on. Today I'm not lightheaded.

Jay
Old 05-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Jay! My dizzy/spacey period was over after a couple of days, I hope yours passes too.

What I do with the soups is I put in warm or hot water while I am prepping the meal before I intend to eat the soup. Let soak for a good 2-3 hours, then microwave. The chili especially needs time...

I am kind of fond of the banana shake. Maybe because fake banana brings back thoughts of circus peanuts The strawberry... not so much.

Do your L&Gs feel totally extravagant? For me, after a day of eating MF food, I am so thrilled to have L&G. Partly due to the volume of it, and partly because hey - real food! The L&G keeps me sane.

Good luck, keep posting!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Day one was a success! Although I think the maple & brown sugar oatmeal is rather bland. The banana shake was tasty. I don't like fake strawberry, so I'm not looking forward to that. DH had the brownie last night (I wasn't hungry) and I tasted it. Amazingly good.

No lightheadedness here. No headaches. All seems good. Except I think I'll order more soups for our lunches. We're doing a soft serve for lunch today and somehow I just don't think of all this sweet stuff as a meal.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #5  

I have that trouble with the sweets all the time, too. I rely pretty heavily on the eggs and oatmeal and pancakes made into microwave muffin things. And the chick noodle soup and puffs But BOY am I glad there are sweet options like the brownies on nights when I just really want something desserty. So great to have that option. And the soft serve has been a life saver when I am hot and sweaty and hungry! At first I thought the relative lack of variety would bug me on MF, but I am finding it to be sufficient and pretty wonderful.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #6  

Well, I just placed an order for beef stew, chili and honey mustard pretzels. That should make our lunches a bit easier in my mind.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Jay
Hope you have SUCCESS trying a different route. I'm rootin for ya girl!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Default Day 3

Thanks, Wendalynn!

3rd day was good. I think I'm settling in. Made it through the day with the whole Lean and Green at suppertime without feeling ravenous. Had the Cappucino as my last meal of the day. It is really tasty, and surprisingly satisfying.

alinnell, have you tried the puffs? I love them! I've only tried parmesan puffs so far.

abluvion, I didn't order any of the soft-serve, but we are definitely getting some next order. Thanks for the tip on the chili. On the other soups, I've found that it doesn't take that long to make them satisfactory, but I do let them soak for 15 minutes in advance.

It's interesting how different folks like different foods. I guess the Medifast people have tried to appeal to many tastes.

I continue to be surprised at how much chicken 6 ounces is for the L&G. And I am so happy to be "allowed" that much!

Tonight is probably a dinner out, and we have found a Ruby Tuesday that lets you pick your sides. They have grilled vegetables, which will go just fine.

Jay
Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM   #9  

JayEll~I did not get any puffs, and I didn't order any when I ordered my soups. If I continue with this for a second month, my order will include puffs as well as the stuff that I've liked (which is just about everything at this point). However, I had the mango soft serve yesterday. Strangely satisfying however it tasted, well, slimy. I don't know how else to explain it. Perhaps it's just because of the mango. And yeah, 6 ounces of chicken (we had shrimp last night, so that's 7 oz) is a lot. That's why some people are able to divide the lean & green into two meals (lunch & dinner).

So, onto to day three. I'm feeling a little "weak" this morning and this is the day we're doing a 5k (don't worry, I plan on walking most of it). But my weight is cooperating so far!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #10  

Glad to hear you both are making good progress! I managed a 9 mile bike ride yesterday without feeling too awful. I had MF eggs and some broccoli before leaving, then put 3 more meals in my backpack just in case. I had a bar on the trail, and some puffs on the way home, and felt fine. I think people over-hype being afraid of exercise on this plan!

I have heard such mixed reviews of the cappucino... But I am curious... Maybe I'll order a single packet with the next shipment to try it.

I love how much L is in the L&G too, Jay. But I wish we got slightly more G. I admit after my bike ride yesterday I did have an extra G serving (just some mushrooms)... Figured it wouldn't hurt me.

re: the soft serve... I have had PB and coffee. I like the flavor of both quite a bit. I was intimidated by the mango so I haven't tried. Mine end up a little runnier than ice cream because I can't get my blender to cooperate unless I over-water it... It still tastes good, and I still eat it with a spoon. I have some choc-mint I have not tried yet. But both the pb and coffee flavors are very good.

Allison, good luck with the 5k!!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #11  

Ugh. The eggs were disgusting! I think I'd rather eat egg whites than those things. Ick. Has anyone tried making them on the stovetop? Does that help at all?

The 5k went well, I'm a bit sore this morning. DH and I went golfing this morning, but I think it made me stiffer. And I didn't golf so well, either. Only 2 pars. And I had a heck of a time hitting any greens (only hit two--and this is a par 3 course!).

Enjoying my chocolate mint soft serve today, although the coffee one has me intrigued. Perhaps for next month...
Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

alinnell, we made the eggs once in a pan, and once in the microwave. I thought they were OK for what they are. I think it helps not to overcook them. Butter Buds help, as does salt and pepper, salsa... favorite herbs... Were you using a flavored package, or just the scrambled eggs? I've only tried the latter.

abluvion, I would bet you didn't start bike riding just recently... I think the Medifast caution about overexertion when starting out is a good thing. The calories are so low that until the body starts into fat burning metabolism, it can be hard to do much. I am in pretty good shape myself, but I felt totally washed out the first and second days. Had I tried to exercise, I think I might have passed out. Today is day 5, and I feel a lot better.

Jay
Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #13  

I LOVE the eggs. Really. I have never even tried to make them in the microwave... They taste just like regular scrambled eggs or egg beaters to me. Yum. Eggs and oatmeal - my two favorite breakfasts! Try making them in a pan before you give up on them entirely.

And actually Jay we just got bikes a week ago! I went for a 2 mile ride on Friday, then the 9 on Saturday... I think I'm just stubborn Someone tells me I can't do something, dangit I'm going to do it anyway! But I agree, during the first week or so there is no way I could have done it. Way too fatigued.

Glad you are feeling better already! All downhill from here
Old 05-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

abluvion! So you did just start out! Just goes to show...

Jay
Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #15  

I have the regular eggs. And I did them in the microwave. I'll do stovetop next time to see if they turn out better. But still, I eat egg whites ALL the time so the 'fake' egg that these present themselves to be are just not to my liking. But I won't give up just yet!