South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/155?

Height: 5'7''

Default When 1-2lbs/week finally seemed reasonable.

I just feel like sharing the moment that I FINALLY figured out that losing 1-2lbs a week was reasonable. My whole life I have tried to lose weight quickly. I once lost 80lbs in a few months (starving) and of course gained it all back. No matter how many times some one told me or I read that it didn't all come on at once so it won't all come off at once, I didn't care. I wanted immediate results. For some reason I could not find a way to be okay with a slow moderate weight loss. Then, a little over a month ago I got braces. To me, 2 years wasn't that long to have them on. I figured, well the teeth need time to be turned slowly and there is no way it could happen overnight. For some reason, it clicked. WHy in the world am I okay with 2 years for my teeth but not for my weight? In all honesty it shouldn't take more than one year to get the weight off in a safe healthy manner. So I am giving myself 2 years. That means even if I lose one pound a week I will be at goal or even below whenmy braces come off. Sounds strange, but it was an ahh ha moment for me, one I am glad I had. Now when I see the scale in the morning I don't feel so down if it isn't what I want. Woo hoo!
BeTrueToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Awesome! That is SUCH an important realization to come to.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #3  
Slow and sure chick

FABulous job coming up with that!
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #4  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Wow i love this post, i am really struggling with losing weight slowly, ive just never done it, im either binge eating or starving, ive never been in the middle and its just such a hard realisation that there is no overnight fix for this!
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #5  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

What a great way to put it. I know how you feel.... when I started my weigh loss journey I think I lost like 55 lbs in 8 or 9 months. It was so fabulous, but at the same time, I don't think it was too healthy for my skin and that's why I've got a little bit of interesting looking skin going on there on my stomach and thighs. The last 30lbs I've lost I've actually stretched out over a year and something, and I know its way more reasonable and healthy for me to do so. Still, some days I feel like I'm totally failing at my weight loss..... but when I look at the chart, I'm actually still losing about 2lbs a month!!! When I realized that, I was like what the heck is wrong with me???? I should be happy I'm still losing!!! And it's staying off!!!

We really do need to keep things in perspective!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

One or two pounds a week sometimes seems like not much until you look back and realize you have lost a good chunk over the course of a few months and most importantly - kept it off!!
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #7  

this is such a great post! i can totally relate - i'm such an instant gratification, all-or-nothing thinker (working on that every day) that my first instinct is to crash diet all the weight off, which obviously doesnt work and has NEVER worked. 1-2 pounds a week really adds up after a few months!
veggie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I can relate too! This is where the rubber meets the road! Now it doesn't seem so...Hmmmm obsessive? Is that the right word? I'm working hard and paying attention to my cals but...it's just my life...not a diet. KWIM? Congrats on your AHA moment!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 258/ticker/155?

Height: 5'7''

Thanks everyone
BeTrueToYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Thank you so much for posting this. I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Losing 20,30 and even 50lbs till I got discouraged that it was too slow. This morning when I got up I weighed myself and regardless of how hard I have been working and how much I have to lose so I am expecting larger results I had only lost 1lb in 2 days. Same thing two days before. AGGGG.... But than I remembered what you had written and suddenly it occurred to me like a light bulb. At this rate all of my weight would have vanished within one year. Congrats on all the weight you have lost!!!!!!
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote