Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

Default 30-somethings May Chat

I thought I'd start this though the past couple months the monthly chats haven't really been used. I feel like we are all posting in our respective weights rather than together!

Anyway, at the end of April I had to put my dog down. She was 13, a German Shepherd, my first dog as an adult She was unable to walk and the vet said there wasn't much more I could do. It was just terrible because mentally she was still so there, her legs just gave out on her. I buried her out in the country on some land my dad owns, so I could go visit her whenever I want.

Needless to say I haven't been super good staying on plan, surprisingly I haven't gained (at least from last Friday) but I am seriously lacking motivation. This is the first time I have been back here since it happened and need you guys to help me get back on track!

Sorry for the depressing story, hope everyone is doing well so far in May and let's keep this thread going!
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Oh, I'm so sorry about your dog.

I'm glad to participate in this thread, as there isn't a weight category that fits me.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 393.8/343.0/199

Height: 5'7.5"

I am SO sorry about your baby. I have a nearly 12 year old and I dread the day I am in your shoes.

I just started my plan on April 1, so I'm new to the boards and this eating plan. There have been days when I thought there was no way I could make it through the day, let alone to goal. A couple of times, I just sat down and cried. But then, I remember why I'm doing this and how good it feels to reach each of those mini goals. (I've lost about 34 pounds so far.)

The fact that you didn't gain anything, even through such a difficut time says that maybe you are staying OP better than you think. And I bet you made healthier choices than you might have before even while eating some things that might not have been strictly OP.

I know you are capable of doing this. You have done great getting to where you are today, through whatever obstacles you have had and you will be able to get past this and make your ultimate goal.
Kheva74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Wow, Kheva, 34 lbs! That's amazing! Keep up the good work!
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #5  

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support.

Kheva you are doing amazing! Are you following a eating specific plan? Are you working out?

I surprisingly lost .5 pounds this week!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #6  
Beware the Harpie

S/C/G: 225.4/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi all...

I'm back on the exercise/program wagon after a fairly tumultuous few months. I got "disengaged" back in November and I'm stuck living in a place where I have practically no friends and no family (I moved out here for the ex-fiance). I have had a spot of good news in the last week, as I'm starting an Irish band with an amazing fiddle player. So things are looking up. Our first gig is an outdoor event in July, so I'm making my mini-goal to be down 20 pounds by then. I know that's ambitious, but shouldn't goals be something you reach for?

Jelma, I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. It's the hardest thing in the world, and I have had to do it twice. Just know that you were the best dog mom you could be and that you gave your dog a wonderful life and didn't let her suffer in the end.

Kheva, congrats on your progress! That's wonderful

As for me, I've just renewed my Bodybugg subscription. I walked my dogs twice today (for about 2 hours total), and I'm hoping now that I'm living alone to do a better job with meal planning.

I'm also thinking of trying out the Zumba for Wii. Has anyone tried this?
CelticHarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #7  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I'm so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your baby. She lived a long life and I am sure she lived a very happy one because of you. I had to put my baby, JD, down after 17 years of a very happy cat life. That was back in February as I was just starting my journey. Ironically it pushed me harder because I didn't want to be in my house without him. I alienated a lot of my friends over the years so all I had was the gym.

But anyway, I just wanted to send you my sympathies and I hope you are feeling better.

My only interesting news for me this month is that 21 days from today I am meeting up with a guy friend I met over the internet playing poker (play money!) over a year ago. I am going to NJ for a family function and then driving north to meet him half way between there and his hometown of Montreal, Canada. We email and talk on the phone multiple times during the week and we have Skyped a handful of times. But he only saw me from the waist up. Needless to say, I am nervous!! I have slacked on motivation lately but I need to up my game between now and then.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 05-09-2011 at 10:38 AM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #8  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Jelma~ I'm so sorry to hear about your dog! A friend like that is a family member not just a dog.

CelticHarpie~ Ooo an Irish band! That sounds so cool! I'm in a pipe band, and part of my reason for losing weight is to fit back into my Kilt

All the news I have isn't good, my mom's health is declining rapidly, she has been diagnosed with brain tumors. I spent most of yesterday crying.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #9  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullarix View Post
All the news I have isn't good, my mom's health is declining rapidly, she has been diagnosed with brain tumors. I spent most of yesterday crying.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #10  

Thanks again for everyone's kind words. I am starting to feel a bit more normal. I have two other dogs that need me so it has made it a bit easier. On a happy note I got down to 149.5 Friday at weigh-in, first time I've seen the 140s in years! Hopefully I can make it stick for this week. The weather has finally been cooperating so my co-worker and I are back to walking at lunch. Not today though because the weekly market was down on our main square and I couldn't resist going and getting some beautiful produce - a head of lettuce, asparagus, a tomato and a cucumber for $6, not too bad.

Skullarix - I am so sorry to hear about your mother

ShanIAm - that is super exciting! I am sure it will go well! You are still doing amazing, you are such an inspiration. I am sorry about your cat. 17 is a long life for a cat. My bf's cat is just about that age and I worry that he will just lose it when she is gone. We have been dating for almost 6 years and when we put Maya down it was only the second time where he looked like he may cry. But that cat is his baby, he sings to her which she just loves

CelticHarpie - congrats on the band, that should be alot of fun! How long have you been playing the harp? I think 20 pounds is definitely doable.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #11  
Beware the Harpie

ShanIam - That's so great! I have some really wonderful friends I met online. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Skullarix - I'll keep you and your mother in my thoughts. So sorry to hear that.

What pipe band do you play with? I'm from Arizona and briefly took snare lessons with the Mesa Caledonian Pipe Band. I've just recently taken up the uilleann (Irish) bagpipes. They're challenging, but lots of fun.

Jelma - I've been playing harp for about 10 years now. I have a music degree (voice) and have played a bunch of other instruments. I used to perform a bunch in Phoenix (played the AZ Ren Fest for 4 years, did a bunch of coffee house gigs), but have had a hard time finding gigs here in Kansas.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #12  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for my mom.

I play the Great Highland Bagpipe, and I'm in Phoenix (Scottish) Pipe Band, they have dropped the "Scottish" and are now just Phoenix Pipe Band.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #13  

Happy Friday everyone! Friday the 13th too!

Down .5 pounds today, I am thinking from here on out I am probably just going to be losing in .5 increments which is totally fine. My arms feel like they are jello today after pilates last night. I am starting to see definition which is exciting, my arms (and inner thighs) are my problem areas. My sis and I are starting a second pilates class next week and this week I walked 3 times at lunch. So far so good. My cousin is getting married in June and I am seeing family I haven't seen since I started losing weight, I can't wait!

CelticHarpie & Skullarix - bagpipes are too cool! They definitely seem like they would be super hard to learn.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #14  
Beware the Harpie

Ok. I need some support right now.

I started my program last Sunday, and I have been SO diligent. I've counted every calorie I've consumed and stayed on my target. I'm using the Bodybugg and have not had a moment where it hasn't been on my arm (aside from the shower).

I have even exercised 4 of 6 days this week (cardio for 3 of those times). I'll be walking the dogs and doing tons of yard work today. And this is from someone who doesn't usually exercise.

I also weigh myself every morning, just to keep myself on track.

After starting at 220.0 on Sunday, I had been trending at about 219.4 or 219.6 all week. While this was a loss, I was a little sad about the fact it wasn't more. I was hoping that by the weekend, I would see at least a pound. This morning I got on the scale and I'm at 220.2. Up .2. I can't believe it.

In the past when I've followed any sort of program, I've lost the beginning weight very easily. I'm not expecting this to be easy, mind you. It's been HARD. I've been doing what I'm supposed to, and I've been exercising more than I have in the past.

So what the heck? I'm just so bummed out. What was the point of the entire week? I realize that I won't be losing weight every week, I just expected to have some sort of loss the first week to motivate me.

This sucks.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #15  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Jelma-

SO sorry about your dog. How are you hanging in there?

As for me, I am okay but have to do something about my weight. I saw the scale 229.0 yesterday UGH! I think I will start the livestrong calorie counting again and see how that goes after a week or two, see if I have lost any weight, and if not, consider WW.

I hope you are all doing well

Take care.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote