Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 07:47 AM   #1  

Thumbs up

Hi all does anyone have problems with panic and anxiety?

It makes losing weight all the more harder that's for sure. I often find myself trying to cope with the anxiety that I put my weight loss efforts aside.

Does anyone know whether certain foods aggravate the panic? Do any actually assist? Any strategies that help you cope?

I am open to all suggestions.

Cheers
Old 03-30-2001, 10:52 AM   #2  

Default I know what you mean

I also suffer from anxiety and my son does, also. Sometimes I just have to try to make it through the day. My symptoms got so bad when my son was going through this that I would throw up. I could only eat certain things without getting sick and that was usually not what I should have been eating. I had lost 20 pounds but in the last 6 months have managed to gain it all back.

I'm not giving up though. I figure that my being overweight also contributes to my anxiety because I'm never at peace with myself. I'm trying to take it one day at a time and do the best I can.
Old 03-31-2001, 02:05 PM   #3  

Hi everyone,

I have anxiety also. I can't believe how common it is, almost everyone I know has anxiety or depression. I have just started Zoloft are either of you taking any meds? Hope it doesn't affect my weight, although sometimes eating to calm my nerves is bad also. The only food I heard of to avoid is caffeine and sugar. That's easier said than done!!

Have a great day.

Daytona
Old 04-03-2001, 11:52 AM   #4  

Default zoloft

daytona1 I was also taking zoloft. It made my appitite completely uncontrollable, killed my sex drive and I had major trouble sleeping. If you are having any of these side effects you need to consult with your doctor. I'm not taking anything anymore as the doctors were actually angry with me because I could no longer take the zoloft. They treated me like it was my fault for having the side effects. (luckily not all doctors are like mine) It's a lot harder to deal with the anxiety without the drugs but the side effects were killing me. And at least without the zoloft I have some control over my eating habits again. There is a drug called chlymodin (I don't know if I have the spelling right) that is also used to treat anxiety panic disorder.
Old 04-03-2001, 12:32 PM   #5  

Default BuSpar

I take BuSpar for my anxiety. It is very safe and the only side effects I have had is a little dizziness for about 30 minutes after I take it. My son, who is 12, also started taking BuSpar since I had such good luck with it and he has no side effects. He tried to take Pazil but the side effects for him were frequent urination and his anxiety didn't change.
Old 04-04-2001, 06:09 PM   #6  

Hi 1Moretime and Debrarae,

Thanks for the info on Zloloft. My Dr. started me on 25mg once a day cuz I told him I was really sensitive to meds. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for 26 yrs. this is the first time I have tried meds so I am not sure I want to after all. How do you handle your anxiety w/o the meds? Isn't is just awful?? I am so tired of dealing with this problem. There are no easy answers though. Keep in touch, and have a good day.

Daytona
Old 04-05-2001, 01:52 PM   #7  

Angry Panic Attacks & Dieting

hi all thanks for your input. I also didn't realize how common anxiety is!

My doc has taken me off meds (made me way too dizzy) instead we are trying cognitive behavioral therapy...so far not bad but I get very tired most days and feel depressed about the anxiety not to mention the panic attacks.

I've tried walking on my treadmill 20 mins a day to cope with the stress factor.

I've cut out coffee and caffeine all together, hard at first but to be honest I don't even miss it!

Any other lifestyle changes?

Thanks again
Old 04-05-2001, 08:42 PM   #8  

Hi everyone,

Anxiety does seem to be a real problem. Almost everyone you know has it or else depression. It won't last forever, although it seems like it will. I have had this experience when I was 20 and again about 12 years ago. I should of wrote down a journal to refer back to for this time. They say once you have this it is likely to re occur again. The past 2 times I didn't take any meds for it, like I said I am considering them this time.

Maybe you could try a soothing hobby, I crochet afagans, it keeps my mind busy and my hands. Walking is also good, maybe talking to a friend. It sure helps knowing we are not alone. Sometimes you just feel so weird (LOL).

Have a good evening!

Daytona
Old 04-05-2001, 11:45 PM   #9  

Thanks Daytona1 and all,

I think that keeping busy has to be the key. I find that I love to read and garden & no matter how bad I feel I always make sure I get out of the house at least once a day so I extend myself beyond my fears & limitations.

I have tried to cut down on the sugar and I know that when I have had a good night's rest I feel I can cope even better. But stress management is the big one for me. I don't seem to cope all that well with it.

Currently I am off work due to my panic attacks and generally high stress levels so I can focus 100% on me!

I must admit the 1st week was wasted on trying to sleep in and coping with what had happened.

Now I'm getting in to a daily routine of activities and walking gee I hope this will also help me lose the weight!

Take care all and thanks so much
Keep the suggestions coming,

MyGirl

Last edited by MyGirl; 04-05-2001 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2001, 11:36 AM   #10  

Hi everyone,

How is everyone doing? I am finally feeling a little more like myself. I started taking BuSpar Friday and it must of helped a lot. I don't have panic attacks but just real intense anxiety. Do you ever try and figure out why we are plagued with this disorder? I sometimes just sit and try to figure it out but with no luck. It must be like any other problem, if you are prone to it you get it. My mother had it as well as my grandmother.

Well the weather is beautiful here, 70 and sun!! I am going to try and get out for a walk today.

Have a good day and keep in touch.

Daytona
Old 04-08-2001, 09:55 PM   #11  

Hi daytona,
glad to hear you are doing well on Buspar and you are not having panic attacks.

The real high anxiety is my #1 problem too. I just can't seem to settle myself , have tried yoga which has helped so I need to keep that up and am walking daily on my treadmill.

I am off work right now due to a bad panic attack last couple of weeks and am feeling a bit calmer b/c I can focus on me 100% now.

I have made a daily routine for myself which includes a schedule for the week and each day this also includes "me" time and relaxation. That way I feel in control without overplanning.

MyGirl
Old 04-09-2001, 03:32 PM   #12  

Hi everyone,

Mygirl, sounds like you have a good plan in place. I find if I have something to look forward to each day it helps. If I am busy it is not so bad. I try to walk everyday and I do weights for my arms 3x's a week. I can't imagine working with this problem. What type of work do you do? I don't work outside the home at this time, I used to be a dental assistant.

Have a good day.

Daytona
Old 04-09-2001, 07:32 PM   #13  

hi daytona,
way to go on the walking and weights too that's encouraging for me to read.

I work as a teacher and most of panic attacks have happened at school uggghhh not pleasant at all especially when I have had to ask a student to help me go outside and sit down, they think "miss are you ok? are you going to faint?"

I can't tell you how bad it feels to go from a position of being in control and the centre of attention to one that is totally out of it.

My job is high stress and very demanding so I have to be feeling 100% ALL the time and of course there are days when I just don't feel that way at all.

MyGirl
Old 04-12-2001, 05:34 PM   #14  
Dreamer, Music-Maker

Default Anxiety and Panic Disorder

Wow - am I glad to find you guys.

I have suffered from anxiety/panic disorders for the last two years and was actually medicated for over a year. I was up to 100mg of Zoloft and had gained about 30 pounds while on the drug - at that dose I felt so numb and so out of control weight-wise that I slowly got myself off the drug this winter. Now, I have a lot of attacks again, but try to use homeopathic remedies to help and since I know what the symptoms are, I no longer think I am dying every time I have one. Please look out for side-effects with the Zoloft - I experienced such a huge weight gain and even had a period of alcohol dependency (which I later found out is common, just not advertised). The drug helped me control my attacks a lot, but inevitably ended up not being worth the risks to other aspects of my health. My doctor and I are in talks right now about what to try next, as Zoloft just wasn't the right drug for me. As she says, there are tons out there so why settle for anything that isn't 100% compatible with you.

Just my two cents... hope to keep chatting with ya'll!

NevadaChick
Old 04-12-2001, 09:44 PM   #15  

Hi Nevadachick,

good to have you on board! Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with the prescribed drugs. Hang in there.

Knowledge is half the battle won (well almost) at least as you said you know you are not going to die and that has to be a comforting thought in itself!

I find it hard sometimes to focus on my weightloss because of the anxiety and threat of panic but I am slowly trying to manage it.

I didn't know about the alcohol side effect with Zoloft that sounds very concerning.

There are so many methods we can try - so let's keep searching until we get rid of this and some weight for good!

Keep the suggestions coming - together we can achieve great things!

MyGirl

Last edited by MyGirl; 04-12-2001 at 09:49 PM.
Closed Thread