Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~May Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...

We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? How about the 60 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #2  

Hi everyone..nothing going on here.hope your weekend was more exciting. i did do an applique on a new t-shirt,using quilt scaps and wonder under and then blanket stitched around the edge. it was afun project. I made meatloaf and scalloped potatoes and brocolli slaw for dinner, and also my egg muffins and diet micro cake..spent some time sitting in the sun and saw a beautiful red headed bird on the feeder i think its grossbeak.so pretty. Im reading Mary Higgen Clark's new book and am enjoying it its called "i'll walk alone" i luv a good mystery. Cant believe its May spring has sprung. ttfn (((hugs))) rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 325.jpg (19.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 324.jpg (18.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #3  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Almost time for bed, but I wanted to go into "May mode"... change the picture, colors, etc.

Hope you've all had a good weekend, so far! I'm going to bed! This feeling crappy is draining the energy right out of me! Onward!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Golden Girls

Can't believe it's already May. Where is my spring? It's still too cool here and it's still raining. It rains some almost every day. The kids should have been practicing football and soccer and just haven't been able to. Now it's time for the games to start, with almost no practice. Today is the first football (tag) game. But first, it's DGD's first communion. I'm sure by now she is bouncing off the wall. She gets so excited and so dramatic. So fun! Later today is her first football game. She's going from looking like a little princess to kicking butt on the football field. So, busy day for us.

Rosie, you are looking good. And you're so talented. I just read the Mary Higgans Clark book too. I like her stuff. Right now I'm reading the new Alex Cross.

Donna, I like the new picture of you and your friend. Beautiful. A Siamese used to live with me too. They are so smart! The Zivirex is for nerve pain. You can take the pills or use the cream. It shortens the duration of the sumptoms along with easing the pain. Call your Dr. and ask for a script. Why they didn't prescribe it is beyond it.

TTYL, gotta go

Freda
Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #5  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
DH is out turkey hunting and I planned on skipping church since it was SUPPOSE TO BE NICE. I have two flats of flowers to plant and can't get them in because of constant rain. Yeah Freda, it doesn't stop raining here either. Today we have 40-50 mile an hour wind but no rain. I'm going to go out anyway, put my winter jacket on and plant. I have to get them into the ground, we have our home on the flower/garden tour this year and I want the plants to be established and lookin good. Donna, love the new picture of you and kitty cat. Rosey, what did you applique on your T-shirt? DH just drove by my SIL's son's big warehouse. He said at least 12 fire trucks are there, the place is engulfed with fire...bummer! I'm sure the high winds aren't helping.
I'll let you all know if I get frost bite on my nose today, my lawn furniture in our shade garden is spread half way across the yard and cushions every where.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? How about the 60 mark?

Every once in a while, I like to reconsider Bobbi’s questions. The best thing that happened to me since turning 60 is getting stage 2 diabetes. It was the reason I began eating right and exercising and I don’t think I ever would have done this without the horrible threats of this disease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone..nothing going on here.hope your weekend was more exciting. i did do an applique on a new t-shirt,using quilt scaps and wonder under and then blanket stitched around the edge. it was afun project.
Hi Rosey,

You are VERY creative. I LOVE the blouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
I'm going to bed! This feeling crappy is draining the energy right out of me! Onward!
Hi Donna,

I am so sorry you are feeling bad. I hope May is a better month for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Good Morning Golden Girls, But first, it's DGD's first communion. I'm sure by now she is bouncing off the wall. She gets so excited and so dramatic. So fun! Later today is her first football game. She's going from looking like a little princess to kicking butt on the football field. So, busy day for us. Freda
Hi Freda,

I LOVE it – little princess to quarterback! How great is that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good Morning! DH just drove by my SIL's son's big warehouse. He said at least 12 fire trucks are there, the place is engulfed with fire...bummer! I'm sure the high winds aren't helping.
Hi Bobbi,

I am so sorry to hear about the fire. Hopefully, everyone will stay safe.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #7  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning all,

Well, days off are over ~ back to work. I so much more enjoy my time at home ~ even if I am working here cleaning a closet or what ever ~ I so much prefer that to going to work. Oh well.

Good sermon on Joel Osteen this morning about joy and laughter and how that helps you have better health. I need to work at that more.

Ok, guess I'd better quit fooling around and finish getting ready.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Take care
Old 05-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #8  
Donna

Quick Good Morning, All...
Am "backup" for an in-store demo gig (and I hope they don't need me!), so I have to shower and get rolling soon...

Freda, I do have a prescription for Acyclovir, which I suspect is a derivative of the medication you mentioned. I'm taking 4 x 5 x 7 days of it, 140 total in a week! I would hate to think that my 12-year old, cute-as-a-button little doctor was a boob! The analgesic cream that I bought online is the marvel of my life. The muscle pains are gone within mere moments (including the groin pain in my leg!), and I hope I don't build up a resistance to it, because it's WONDERFUL!

Rosey, nice job on the t'shirt! However, my lovely friend, you're buying clothes too big for you! You're smaller than you think you are! You're doing so well!!

Nothing else. Because I'm more interested in sleeping these days than in eating (and have no real appetite, anyway), the scale is marginally my friend. Ha! We'll see how long THAT lasts!

Thanks for the kind words about SamCat, the very lovely and purely precious Siamese in my avatar. I LOVE him!!

Hope the day is a good one, Everyone! May IS a better month!

Last edited by jess1; 05-01-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning.....Glad you are getting into Spring as it rolls into Summer down here. The bugs are driving us insane. Guess they are saving money by spray less. No see'ums are just teeth that fly.

Bobbie...Thank you for the start up. I have been watching the Decorah eagles, too. Plus the owls and falcons on that site. Plus Fl blue birds and http://www.manateecam.org. That one is in 10 second intervals and sometime you see part of a manatee then click the rear of a manatee.....not the prettiest shot.

Rosie....you are looking mighty fine girl....mighty fine. When does Dh get report on test results?

Freda....thank you. I will smile all day with the image of princess to footballer.

Donna....hope you had a quiet day at home.

Gayle....Hope this week off will be the turn around and work gets easier from now on.

Lynn....Good idea to think about what turning an age has done. Turning 60 and moving down here was really starting over with all new friends and life style. Turning 70 is still up for grabs, but so far 70's feel better than 60's. For the first time ever I have the abilitity to say NO! Shocks everyone especially my family. Taking time to care for me is another biggy.

Need to get to the store and get Dash's turkey thighs. Have hugh bag of fresh yellow squash....any ideas what do with that much squash????? probably 30 of them. Green beans and red potatoes too......friend's garden is producing bushels.....ohh just found recipe for sqash pie....a savory pie....cheese onion and more cheese. eat it leave the crust...hmmmm

later k3
Old 05-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Good Morning GG's. Not much new here - I'm going to go and putter in the yard a bit, since DH has the veggie garden all rottotilled now. Have a good day ladies!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning and Happy May Day!

I had a great workout today and made it through my toughest low impact aerobic routine. First time I have ever finished it.

I did my little pamper/self care routine this morning. I did a facial mask. I took a really luxurious, exfoliating shower (unlike the quick scrub I do daily) using nice body wash and a loofa. Deep condition hair. Foot care with coconut oil and full body lotion slathered on my still wet skin. I used my good overnight moisturizer on my face and neck, combed out my hair and I feel lovely! I am highly recommending Oil of Olay body wash - I got a 3pack at Sam's for really cheap. It is really nice.

Donna, I love your new picture of you and your friend.

Rosey, nice job on the t-shirt - I can't do anything like that. I also think you are getting to the point that you could wear a smaller size. Good job!

Freda, there is an old movie with Helen Hunt that is called "quarter back princess" that is really sweet. You guys might like it. It is probably available on netflix.

Tea Granny, enjoy the outdoors.

Karen3. Squash is lovely as are new potatoes! I love them saute'd with onions, stir fried, or pureed in different fashion. Yum!

Bobbi, I hope everything is ok with the fire.

Lynn, I also think that being diagnosed with T2 after turning 51 was the best thing. I believe that I will live a longer, healthier, and more active life. I probably would have just dropped dead from a heart attack without ever taking care of myself if I hadn't been given the wakeup call.

Karen3 I also seem to have developed the ability to say NO. To say it politely but firmly and to not feel bad about myself. As a social worker, I take care of people in my work and I spent lots of time taking care of people in my life. It is enough and I feel better.

I hope that everyone has a good day!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I can't believe it is May already! April just seemed to fly by we were so busy and May promises to be even busier I think. I've done my complaining in the counters thread so am not going to complain here. Life is good and I am back on track..it's a new day and a new month!

On Sunday I don't do much housework..just the daily stuff and that is already done even though I got up late. My plan is to work a bit outside (where dh is already) and spend the rest of the day quietly reading, praying, and later watching a little TV. Sorry for those who are getting a lot of rain...it is beautiful here again today.

Our main meal today (lunch/dinner) is going to be grilled steak, a shared baked potato, and lots of veggies. I just finished breakfast so it doesn't sound that good to me right now but hopefully it will by then.

Riemontana - love your pampering ideas! I take good care of my skin and get compliments on it, esp when people know my age, but I always plan to use a masque treatment once a week and then usually forget so thanks for the reminder.

Teagranny - My dh has now planted tomato, onions, garlic, green pepper, and eggplant I think. Maybe more. I told him he doesn't need to do it anymore but he wanted to do it just cause he enjoys it. And last year he fractured his leg and didn't get to complete his garden.

Rosey & Freda - I too enjoy Mary Higgins Clark and Alex Cross...love mysteries. I'm reading Storm Cycle right now by Roy Johansen. He is the son of Iris Johansen, another author I read. I always have two or three books going at the same time. Righ now besides this one, I'm continuing to read The Darkness and the Dawn. This is a great book but I got side-tracked by another book I was reading esp for Easter, but they are both about the same thing and by same author...just a shorter and longer version really. I am also continuing to read 10 min to Powerful Prayer by Stormie Omartian, a great little devotional book I have read over and over, but think tomorrow I am going to begin Praying the Names of Jesus instead. I think I can use it in a similiar way. BTW, Rosey, I love your T-shirt! I'd never think to do something like that..you are very creative! I too think you are probably ready for a smaller size. I remember when I lost weight before not realizing i could wear a smaller size. In my case it was ONLY when I bought smaller size clothing that people started noticing my weight loss!

Riemontana & Lynn - I agree with you that getting the diabetes dx really set me on the path to good health. I have always eaten healthy 80%+ of the time but I had gotten into the habit of just eating way too much. Even before the dx I had changed a lot bad habits but had gone back to still eating too much and had regained weight I had lost. So the dx really came at a time when I badly needed to get it under control. I continue to struggle with consistency...of limiting calories and carbs....but I certainly have the incentive esp as I can see my diabetes is getting worse!

Jess - What is the name of the analgesic cream that helps you with nerve pain? Maybe it would help me.

Well, I've decided I have to limit my time sitting at this computer so better get off right now. I think I'll set a timer for one hour at a time and see whether it helps my leg. Have a wonderful Sunday, everyone!

Last edited by maryea; 05-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #13  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi Everyone - I too can't believe that it is May already! And we have warm sunshine today! About time I've done most of what I want inside & now Baxter & I are going outside for the rest of the day. I evaluated dogs yesterday for St. John Ambulance Therapy Dog program - had only 3 to do - a Golden Retriever, an English Mastiff & to top it off a jet black Great Dane! Too cool! Then went to a small home show & finished the day at a dog agility trial. I haven't been staying OP very well this week - don't know what's the matter with me! I need a kick you know where! I promise to stick to it from now on - there now, I have to keep a promise, eh?

Rosy: I love the applique on your top.

Bobbi: So sorry about the fire-hope all will be OK.

Donna: I hope you have feel better soon!

Turning 70 wasn't so bad once I got used to it. The 40's,. 50's & 60's wasn't bad but 70 I had to think about. I'm now 72 & rather used to it & it isn't bad at all. I love life & really try to enjoy every minute. The hard part is losing more acquaintances/friends now to the "grim reaper"--just lost another one yesterday. But that's all a part of life too isn't it? Anyway I'm outside for the rest of the day! TTYL
Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #14  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hi everybody...I'm pooped! Took the dgd & dgs to the Southwick Zoo today - biggest zoo in New England, and my feet can attest to the truth of that! Feeling ready for bed, but have to make soup. HAD to send this along because so many of us are readers!

One morning, the husband returns the boat to their lakeside
cottage after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap.

Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out.

She motors out a short distance, anchors, puts her feet up,
and begins to read her book.

The peace and solitude are magnificent.

Along comes a Fish and Game Warden in his boat.

He pulls up alongside the woman and says, 'Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?'

'Reading a book,' she replies, (thinking, 'Isn't that obvious?')

'You're in a Restricted Fishing Area,' he informs her.

'I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading.'

'Yes, but I see you have all the equipment.
For all I know you could start at any moment.
I'll have to take you in and write you up.'

'If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault,' says the woman.

'But I haven't even touched you,' says the Game Warden.

'That's true, but you have all the equipment.
For all I know you could start at any moment.'

'Have a nice day ma'am,' and he left.

MORAL:
Never argue with a woman who reads.
It's likely she can also think.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #15  
Donna

Jane,
Can I say the name of that analgesic cream or is that a no-no that I need to use PM?
Closed Thread