Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Default *** May *** Chat

A quick one here just to say hi and everything is going very well here. Blood sugar and weigh went up at first when I started eating whole grain carbs, but I'm happy to say that my FBS is back down and the weight is starting to come back down. I'm really enjoying my new food plan and starting to feel good too.

Have a nice Sunday.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning and happy May 1st. We have sunshine again so I feel like dancing around the maypole.

Did not meet my weightloss goal for April - three pounds down instead of five. I looked back at the calendar and realized why. I was out for dinner 1/3 of the time and, although I ate carefully, sipping wine did me in. This month will be better. This month I will write down everything I eat each day which should make me more mindful. I also am back at regular gym sessions and will try to get out for more walks.

So ... on we go!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning and happy May Day!

fbs was 81 this morning so I ate half a banana before I worked out. I made it through my hardest low impact routine for 61 minutes this morning - Yay, a first.

I did my little pamper/self care routine this morning. I did a facial mask. I took a really luxurious, exfoliating shower (unlike the quick scrub I do daily) using nice body wash and a loofa. Deep condition hair. Foot care with coconut oil and full body lotion slathered on my still wet skin. I used my good overnight moisturizer on my face and neck, combed out my hair and I feel lovely!

Patty that sounds great. I know that I had trouble learning that some carbs work better for me than others. Ironically, I was having lots of trouble with bs control when I was trying to avoid all carbs. I am glad that you are enjoying your new plan.

Ruth, at least you lost some weight even though you might not have achieved your April goal. I am still keeping a food/blood sugar diary. It helps me to be accountable to myself and stops me from the denial of whether I am keeping on a good eating plan.

Have a great day ladies!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Did really well with the partying last night, not only did I eat ok, but I avoided alcohol, and so slept well and didn't wake up until 1030 am! Much better than usual, its not a hung over feeling, but I don't sleep well when I drink, and avoiding it was worth it so I could sleep. Tonight is supper out again with older DD in Toronto, before we go to a movie. Tomorrow is a busy day with a work meeting at am, lots of regular work and must remember to vote, and without being partisan, I must say this is gearing up to be the most interesting election in a long while, no matter what your politics!
Happy May Day everyone.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Happy May Day to everyone. Sounds like we all met the end of April and the start of May very well even if we did rocky times along the way.

Ruth I agree with Riemontana you didn't have a gain. Writing things down will give you more mindful control.

Mad I've been taking melatonin as doc recommeneded. I tried taking Valerian Root, because I read about it in either Dr. Amen's book or Dr. Hyman's stuff on line. Something about seritonin and weight. The Valerian Root upsets my stomach so decided to try St. John's Wort and it works great. I still don't always get 8 hrs sleep, but I do seem to get a very good 6or 7 hrs of quality sleep. Enjoy being with older DD.

Riemontana Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time pampering yourself. We need and deserve those times.

I thought that I would share the way I am eating now. I didn't want to say anything until I knew it could or would work since I've tried so many different thing. But I believe I have finally found the way of eating for me. I am not counting calories or carbs any more although the plan I'm following does have the calorie count planned in it for you if you follow the phases... phase 1 is 1200 cals and phase 2 is 1600 cals. I'm not following a phase either. I like Intuitive Eating because I like the idea of eating only when hungry and eating what I want, enjoy each bite and stop when satisfied or you start to feel full. Also I need and desire to get away from focusing on food as I feel like all I'm thinking about for years now is food, food, food... and I like things that easy and simple to eat and follow. I had been seeing the book CarbLovers Diet at Walmart and wouldn't buy it since I'm so low carb minded. However after going to the their webite and seeing somethings that looked like some things my doc had mentioned to me and that I had seen in the doc's office, I went to the bookstore and bought the book. I use the guidelines mostly of the CarbLovers diet combined with a lot of what I've learned about foods like greens that help lower bs. I am pleased to say this is working great for me. As expected, I gained weight... about 9 lbs when I first re-introduced the carbs. The book says you should lose up to 6 lbs the first week. Although I'm not following the calorie counting plan itself, but using it for guidance I am happy that I have lost 4 of those 9 lbs since I started this about 5 days ago. And like I said, my FBS has become steady below 120 mg/dl for the past 3 or 4 days. It was 112 this morning and my BP is steady and normal as well. Since I usually lose weight very slowly, I am very pleased with the results so far... even if I don't lose the 6 lbs. Another promise is that I won't be hungry and will feel satisfied longer and so far that has been the case and see no reason why it should change. For one thing there are no forbidden foods however there are important foods to eat which are called Resistant Starch foods that go straight through the digestive system keeping me very regular which has always been a problem for me most of my life. So I am very pleased to have finally found a woe of eating that will be a way of lifestyle for me. It is amazing to me that this is so much like one of the ways my doctor had suggested I could eat if I liked, but it didn't have all the explanations for why and how it works that I got in the book.

Thank y'all for patiently going through this journey with me. I expect my next doctor's visit in July to be much better than my last now that I've found what works for me.

Planning a trip back to TX to see family this month and I've already got a plan in the making of how I can stay OP while traveling and when eating in restaurants with family. Such a great feeling to feel in control.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #6  

Fatmad - good for you! It sounds like you did great, and while traveling. I wish I could enjoy a good night sleep like that. I really only get about 7 hours and I have been that way all my life.

Trish, it sound like you have found a plan that can become a lifestyle for you. I think that is what it is all about.

I am going to be on an 8 day trip to vegas soon for national championships. I need some help in deciding what kind of meal replacement bars or shakes I can take with me. Any ideas?

Have a lovely evening.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #7  

Morning!

Just a quick swing by to say hello and stay accountable. fbs a very nice 87 this morning. At that number I can work out without a snack first.

I did 8300 steps on the Walk it out and burned a respectable 271 cals. I really enjoy that game. It isn't as rigorous as my aerobics but I can get going on tough mornings and marching in place doesn't bother my knee as much as walking outside. But, now that the weather is better I plan to get going on a walking plan.

Have a great day!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #8  
Madeleine

Hi everyone, its late and I'm tired, so won't stay long. I am so happy to read about everyone, even if I can't always take time to respond to each post, I am inspired. If I don't visit, its hard for me to stay on plan and stay focused, so even writing about struggles or successes, I am inspired by each of you.
Stayed on plan today, and remembered to exercise my right to vote, (won't say for whom) and am grateful to be able to do that.
Have a good week.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #9  
Madeleine

Default back on track

have been back onto low carb for a couple of days, weight is stable, feeling more energy, and bloating is down. Sugars are fine.
I decided to go off the metformin for a couple of days with this, so am being very careful about carbs.
I have still been struggling with the heel pain, it is better/bearable with the orthotics, but not gone. I wondered if this was a variation of the leg pain I used to get. but the pain isn't gone, so not thinking the metformin was the issue, so am going back on it again.
Have been making food to pack for tomorrow, I have an all day meeting in Toronto, and the lunch provided will include salad, but will be carby otherwise. So yes, I am wisely packing lunch. planning planning planning.
Am also taking my knitting for a change, its time to start that again.
hope everyone doing well.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #10  

Fatmad I hope your heel pain gets better. I am glad to hear that your sugars are good even without the meds.

I am with you on the need for planning. I really have to think about what I will eat in a way that I never did prior to diagnosis. All in all, it is probably a good thing.

My fbs has been good but it is up into the low 90's. I am convinced that it is the stress I am under but hopefully that will resolve itself.

Take care all, until tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Carbs have crept up a bit. When I'm busy, that seems to happen a lot. Weight is up a pound but (TMI) Fibre1 and blueberries will fix that. The FBGL is down to an acceptable 5.0 so something is working.

Saw my Doctor Bob at the shower on Sunday and he noticed my weightloss. He is giving me a three month supply of Victoza from his samples and is working to get the provincial health plan to cover it. Right now it costs over $200 per month so that would be great.

Early meeting tonight so I must get dinner made ahead. I am taking my Bacardi rum cake and need to be strong. I may make a clam chowder with limited potato. It always makes me feel quite satisfied. I can avoid my cake if I don't eat even a single crumb as I slice it.

Planning is key!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #12  
Madeleine

well, the problem with planning, is that it takes planning

I don't enjoy the planning part, and it sabotages me, it is likely part of the weight gain that happens over the years. I realize now that "treats" were a regular part of my diet, not "treats" at all. And if I don't plan and watch what I eat, I have treats, and soon am off plan.

My morning started out tired. I had a client who thought she would go into labour last night, so I stayed on call, and she did deliver beautifully but not until 230 am. Got home at 330, as my partner stayed with her, so only got 2 hours of sleep before getting up to catch my train. The ticket agent where I bought my train ticket didn't tell me about the constuction, and I wasnt able to park legally, so my husband, who isn't feeling well has to drive into town and rescue my car. Getting home my be a problem. Dealing with difficulties when I am so tired is really hard, and I have been on the verge of tears on the train, instead of relaxing and sleeping. I am slowly calming down, but sitting in a meeting all day isn't very appealing.
Glad I have my food with me, or I would just scarf down a danish at the nearest coffee shop.

hope everyone else has a better day.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #13  

Fatmad I hope your meeting goes well and that you are able to get more rest tonight. Being tired plays havoc with everything!

Ruth - how great that your doctor noticed your progress and is trying to help you even more. A supportive Dr is a big part of being able to cope. Good luck at the dinner.

I have a stressful day today as I am in charge of an annual meeting of 14 local government entities. I am happy to be able to wear one of my new outfits and I hope it gives me a little more confidence. I won't be standing there and thinking that they are judging me for being so grossly obese.

Good luck with the day.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

Plugging along. I did not succeed in avoiding having a slice of my rum cake but BGL is OK this morning at 4.0. Now to get the darned scale to budge.

Today is a bit stressful with a dog going to the vet for dental work, payday for my Mill folks, the afternoon identifying and pricing plants for the Saturday garden club sale but I do have my food planned. I'm even going to cook salmon tonight. That's the plan anyhow. (I hope the salmon doesn't end up joining the other fish stashed in my freezer. I must make a huge fish chowder one of these days and invite the Village for lunch! )

My PT and I worked together for an hour yesterday, I really want to get rid of my pot and waist pudge and have been wanting ab exercises. She was very up front and pointed out that the weight there was fat and developing the ab muscles would make everything bigger, not smaller. Her recommendation is extra cardio so my next house project is to get the treadmill room set up so I can watch TV while I use the darn thing. I've had the darned thing over three years and it has only 97 miles on it. "Driven by an old lady only on guilt days!" I have a TV and an extra DVD player so ... no excuses!

Happy Thursday!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #15  
Madeleine

Ruth, it is true, ab exercises will tighten up the muscles but not get rid of the pudge that is there. In fact, I know I read that doing planks, in the pilates kind of way where you are really working the core, is better for ab exercises than crunches and sit ups etc, and is easier on the back, and since you have back issues that is helpful. As for getting rid of the menopot. well mine is smaller with the weight loss, hope yours is budging will the weight going down.

Trish, tell us more about the carb resistance foods you are supposed to eat. That sounds interesting. And you have been able to stick to this for more than a day or two, and that is really promising for you. Glad for you.

Yesterday's meeting was very productive, and the food at lunch had good variety, so I had my own dressing on the salad, (they always do good salads, so I didn't take greens, just dressing) and there was a fish dish not covered in starch, so I had that, and had the lunch I had packed as my supper on the train on the way home. DIdn't sleep great last night, but have slept, and will hope for a good night again tonight to get back to normal. Will also go to yoga, and the stretching will help me relax for sleep.

Montana, hope your meeting went well as well. a big hello to everyone else, and have a good day. We have lots of sunshine today, so I will get out to walk a bit too.
Closed Thread