Old 02-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #1  
2 chins down, 1 to go

S/C/G: 387/228/175

Height: 5'6

Default Clothing sizes after losing 155 lbs aka is this normal?!?

I'm pretty big but nowhere near as big as I used to be. I'm still running around wearing 34/36W work shirts and having my coworkers look at me like I'm nuts because it's literally falling off me.

So I'm trying to get out of that "I'm-still-400lbs-plus" mentality and start dressing appropriately for my new shape. The problem is, I still feel like I'm too big for the sizes I'm wearing (if that makes sense) - I just can't get my mind around the fact that I'm wearing a size 18. I went to the Goodwill today and bought a gorgeous sweater (3.99!) that's an XL and it fit! Part of me is thrilled to be fitting into a regular ol' XL after so many years of 5X but then I'm like "I'm still fat - I shouldn't fit into this!".

Anyone else experience this or is it just me and my warped mind that does this? Would you say a size 18 pant and an XL top seem normal on a 253 lb 5'6 1/2" woman? I guess I always thought XL = 12/14 although I suppose it is possible that I'm smaller on top since most of my weight is in my trunk area.

Last edited by ShesLosingIt; 02-27-2011 at 10:47 PM.
ShesLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

heh, I feel you! I just did this. augh. I swore the new stuff I bought fit, but even my new target stuff looking again is too big! I've only lost 50 lbs though...but still.

I just blogged about this subject here the other day:
http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/...in-mirror.html
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 AM   #3  
Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 280/162/160

Height: 5'8

That's really normal and has happened to me, too. The bulk of my wardrobe is 24W with selected 'cool' outfits from my skinnier past. When out shopping, I still head to the 24s/3X sections even though I'm now a loose 20/XL. Just like it took time to lose the weight thus far, you'll need to give your mind a chance to catch up with your body.

An 18/XL sounds rather reasonable - it all boils down to the maker of a garment, where your wider parts are located on your body, and how it feels on you personally. Whenever you go to look at clothing on department store websites, most of the time they will have a 'size chart' for that item's label or designer. Some labels run narrower in the bust/waist/thighs than others. It'll say the same size on both, but one will fit a lot better. Enough to drive a person bonkers.

Congrats on your success so far - enjoy that lighter you.
586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #4  

Height: 5ft6'

I have been out of the plus sizes for a full year now and I still have to make myself stay out of that section. I have become a huge fan of thrift store shopping. You can't beat the deals whne you find a good place.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Uhh I've been out of plus sizes for over 3 years. Shopping in the regular sizes still makes me nervous.

And an XL on top is generally a 16/18. I'm smaller on top so I generally wear medium tops and size 16 pants.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It's funny. On my way UP in weight, I'd hold a pair of pants and think, "Uh, no, those are HUGE." And yeah, they were too tight. So of course on the way DOWN I hold up a pair of pants and say, "Uh, no, those are TINY" and yep, they fit. Go figure.

The brain is much slower than the weight loss (or gain). For better or worse.

Congratulations to you!! You know what I love to do at thrift stores? I love buying clothes that are too small and watching myself get into them. I love that!! I even took pictures of size 10 jeans when I was a size 20. I put on a bathing suit and pulled those puppies up as far as the would go, which was to my knees. And every month, a new photo. I watched as the progressed from my hips, to mid-thigh and finally all the way up and then one day, they zipped. (And now they're big.)

Last edited by Eliana; 02-28-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #7  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
It's funny. On my way UP in weight, I'd hold a pair of pants and think, "Uh, no, those are HUGE." And yeah, they were too tight. So of course on the way DOWN I hold up a pair of pants and say, "Uh, no, those are TINY" and yep, they fit. Go figure.

The brain is much slower than the weight loss (or gain). For better or worse.

Congratulations to you!! You know what I love to do at thrift stores? I love buying clothes that are too small and watching myself get into them. I love that!! I even took pictures of size 10 jeans when I was a size 20. I put on a bathing suit and pulled those puppies up as far as the would go, which was to my knees. And every month, a new photo. I watched as the progressed from my hips, to mid-thigh and finally all the way up and then one day, they zipped. (And now they're big.)
Great idea!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #8  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

That sizing sounds about right. Congratulations on how far you've come!

Eliana -- I love your idea about taking pics in the goal clothes. I keep buying in smaller sizes, but never thought of taking pics to watch my own progress!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

The other day I looked at a pair of size 16 pants and thought "These will never fit."

but they did. It's weird how that works.

Last edited by lottie63; 04-30-2011 at 07:07 PM.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #10  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I am right with you on this! Lately my size 3x scrub tops are really, really baggy and people keep telling me, "you need some new scrubs, girl!" But I am actually hesitating going and buying new because in my mind, there's just no way a 2x would fit me. NEVER has. Guess the only way to know is to go try some!

Anyway, yeah, I relate!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote