Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #1  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Default Caffeine Cure? Anybody?

One of my biggest pitfalls is anything caffeinated. Coffee, soda, etc. If I don't have a cup of coffee in the morning, it doesn't take long before I'm tired, cranky, and have a headache. I am switching from sugar to artificial sweeteners to cut down the calorie count.

I was hoping someone might have some advice on what to do to get past this though. Deep down, I know the caffeinated stuff is no good for me and will only hinder my weight loss. But, if I cut out the soda and just have a cup of coffee with creamer and artificial sweetener, is that still VERY bad or just a little bad?

I just don't know if I can deal with the caffeine withdrawals.
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #2  
Amazing will be me

I feel like im in the same boat at the mo. I dont drink sodas i do drink tea , but lately i have been having either a energy caffine pill or a caffine energy drink before a work out. Few hours after im litterally drained. And its only been a few days sine ive started using them. I crash terrible and get so tired i cant keep my eves open
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #3  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Smile

Dilli: IMO as with anything u try to give up cold turkey, u often recoil--sometimes badly! When I worked 3 nights a week, it was easy for me to drink a couple diet cokes, Starbucks, and an energy drink before I went home! NOT the BEST choice! I was grumpy, irritable, and when I crashed, I was really TIRED!

Instead of cutting them loose all at once, I decided to lessen by 8 oz a day on week one, then add a cup each week until I was down to little to no dependence! I now drink about 8oz of caffeine every other day and have way more energy!

The trick I learned from being a coach with a women's running program was to eat oatmeal--whole rolled oats, not the quickies--about an hour before anything cardio. When u do this, the carbs turn into sugar during the workout and gives u sustaining energy to last, instead of crashing like an energy drink does!

It will take some adjustment, of course. Rome wasn't built in a day! But, when u gradually ween off of it, I have found the results last longer and are more of a lifestyle change than a ((eek)) diet!

((soon 2b tracker)) HA
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Caffeine research has demonstrated that in most people there is no problem with moderate consumption.

If you want to kick it there are only two ways. Both I have done successfully only to come back to my sweet angel.

The first time I kicked the habit was in the mid 90s. I simply reduced my intake over the course of a month and when I was down to less than 50mg a day I quit. This lasted about 4 years.

The second time I had a much bigger habit of about 500-600mg a day. I quit cold turkey. Day 1 was ok. Day 2-4 I had horrible horrible headaches. Day five I was fine. This lasted about 1 month before I decided I missed my friend. Now I have a 300-400 mg a day habit.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Most research indicates that moderate caffeine consumption actually helps with exercise performance, and isn't a detriment to weight loss at all.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Most research indicates that moderate caffeine consumption actually helps with exercise performance, and isn't a detriment to weight loss at all.
Go caffeine!

This is how I get mine.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #7  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

Thank you all so much. You've really helped me out. I don't fell quite so guilty about not being able to just give it up all together just yet.
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Also, coffee may have a positive impact on your health. Do a search about the health benefits of coffee and you'll find recent scientific findings on the subject.
nomorenachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

I love Coffee and I can't live without it right now (maybe this is a slight exaggeration) .... I'm making a real change with diet and exercise ... I'm hoping to maybe cut back a little later ... but I'm pleased to read from others here it doesn't have a negative impact on weightloss ...

I have cut out soda though .....

Maybe just start with the soda??
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/230.4/180?

Height: 5'9"

Are you able to tolerate just black coffee? It's my indulgence (for little to no calories depending on who you ask ). I start my day with a cup of black coffee, and sometimes have a cup in the afternoon if the food cravings are taking over my world. The warmth of it really helps be get through any craving for chocolate or sweets.

I cut out soda about three years ago, and i don't miss it. And I was a 44oz a day at a minimum girl. I saw some weight loss from just cutting it out, which was great. Even diet soda can screw up the way your body absorbs things. The first few months without soda were rough, but now I never even really want it!
ORSewmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I'm one of the drink coffee w/out sugar or cream/milk added. Sometimes I still indulge in sugar or cream but thats not every-day fare for me and hasn't been for several years. (I forget when I started drinking it black on a regular basis but even when I have 'fallen off the wagon' I never went back to the sugar and cream in the morning... )
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #12  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

I willingly give up bread, pasta, desserts, potatoes, chips, ice cream, etc...but I'm keeping my caffeine.

I can live without it, but I choose to continue drinking it. I like tea and coffee, and the options of roasts/blends/flavors diminishes greatly when I look at decaffeinated only.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 189/178/140

Height: 5 foot 5 inches

I gave up all caffiene many a moon ago lol. (like 4-5 years worth of moons) I had to do it cold turkey it is the only way I can quit anything. I do believe a small amount for you is ok I even heard it can be good for your liver but in small amounts....like saying red wine can be good for you but not if you put back a bottle a day lol.
It has been proven that an apple every morning will give you more energy with no crash for longer then a cup of coffee can. (I beg to differ but who am I) I guess I should try it for longer then 1 day maybe its a build up thing
Sonjae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 AM   #14  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Since I like to mainline coffee I had to quit in stages. I do allow myself a cup in the morning, and one after lunch but that is it! I was drinking up to 6+ cups a day. I just started slow, like removing one extra cup in the morning for a week, and then another and then another.

I know when I have quit cold turkey it was horrible, I just felt icky and grumpy all the time.
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

I still drink coffee..I didn't think one small cup could hinder my weight loss..plus it has potassium in it which I need anyway.

Maybe you could wean yourself off by mixing decaf/caffinated until its mostly decaf.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote