General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #1  

Default How to eat if you're awake for 24 hours!

Today, I am running into an issue. I know one day will not make or break me, but I would like to know the most appropriate answer for when this situation rises.

I work in industrial engineering at a manufacturing facility, and sanitation occurs from 7pm to 7am. I have been tasked to observe the process for a day and determine if it is efficient. If it is not, I will be doing a lot more of these days trying to fix the process.

I work 8-5 normally, so today I woke at 9am after trying my best to stay up late last night and sleep in. This means I will be awake from 9am this morning to 9am or later tomorrow.

How do I eat in a situation that I am awake for 24 hours? I feel as though the same calories I eat when awake 14 hours simply won't cut it. Do I continue to eat small healthy meals after "dinner" at 6pm? Should I adjust my caloric intake up or just eat extremely light (only protein and veggies) all day?

I'm very easily discouraged, and an increase in weight from this would bother me greatly.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #2  
No description available.

I'm often at work for 24+ hours and I do not increase my calories for those days above other days. I eat regularly through the day and cut off eating after 10 pm. No snacking or eating from then until 8 am or 9 am or whatever. Then a healthy-sized breakfast and a nap.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I run into this when traveling and am up by 3 a.m. and often don't get to bed until 3-4 a.m. ... I DO eat more often, but try to work in more fruits and veggies, which, often don't hold me as much as I want them to, unless they're paired with some protein. (apple/banana and some peanut butter, etc.) ... I try to drink a lot - but not just water - tea, juice mixer with diet sprite, etc. - something different even tho i don't drink much juice.

As you say, one day won't make/break you - but if you know you'll be discouraged, don't weigh in for a few days afterward.

Stay busy is my best hint. I'm not hungry sometimes when awake for a long time but if I'm waiting in an airport and everyone is eating cinnabuns, hot dogs, fancy schmancy coffee drinks, I think, hmmmm... i should be too! NO!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #4  

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice! I think I will do my best to not eat (or eat smaller "snack" portions) after 10pm. That will give me one extra small "meal" after my normal cut-off, which I'll make higher in protein and fat. I think if I increase beverage consumption and bring small snacks that I love, I'll be less likely to run to the vending machines or gorge myself on late night (read: high calorie) foods.

I've been eating normally today, mostly - a bit higher in fat and protein so that I can eat smaller meals less often, but 75% normal. By now, I do typically have a higher fruit and veggie count, but I'm skipped a few servings in lieu of cheese and nuts. (Don't worry - I'll still easily meet a 5-a-day quota!)
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #5  
No description available.

How'd it go? (tell us after you take a nap!! haha!)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #6  

Fantastic! I did snack a little. I had a small meal at 9:45ish of a greek yogurt with honey, golden raisins, and some dried pineapple. Then around 12am, I made some frozen veggies (a little steamer pack) to boost my energy - and had a couple cups of coffee.

My weight was actually low this morning when I woke up, so I suppose it worked! It's going to feel *great* to get more than a few hours of sleep tonight.

Weird occurrence though... I've had trouble eating today. I didn't sleep long last night - from about 6am to 10:30am - so I wonder if I'm just a little exhausted and loopy. I think I'll feel better tomorrow.