Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #1  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Arrow IP Daily Chat - Tuesday, 26 April 2011

Welcome and welcome back to the Daily Chat thread -- introduce yourself, post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-Scale Victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff

Tickers and signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have
  • been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days
  • AND
  • posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum.
When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread
for more information and instructions.

Search: If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. More information is here in this Search tip using Google

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Other helpful links

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

PDF file of Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You

To read about the big losses, NSVs, and inspiring stories you missed yesterday: IP Daily Chat - 25 April 2011
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #2  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Stray post

Happy Tuesday!

I found this post at the end of the weekend thread with no response. I wanted to bring it to today so everyone could help provide a little motivation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia 1573 View Post
I feel so bad this morning... Last night (second day on IP) I had an emotional breakdown and ate about 400 calories of carbs and sugar. Is it normal to feel stressed out, anxious and out of control? I'm going back to work on Tuesday and I am scared of not being able to stick to the plan. I know that if I can't handle the pressure, I will start eating junk food again. My husband says that it's all in my head, that I'm the one putting everything on my shoulders. Please share your motivational stories with me!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152.2/117.6/128

Height: 5'4"

Mornin fellow IPers!!! Today Is supposed to get mid 70's in CT, I'm so excited!!! Brought some extra clothes and my running shoes so I can take a nice walk at lunch time. Going for W/I # 2 a day late today so anxious about that! According to my scale I am down to 142.2 (with my surprise TOM that came yesterday) but that is first thing in the morning and half-naked. Have a great day!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

Good morning all. Hope everyone has a great OP day.

Minor NSV......I am wearing pants I have not been able to get into for months. They are a little snug, but not too tight....looking forward to them getting loose in the months to come. It was either these or my "other" pants that are now falling off of me.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152.2/117.6/128

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAnts View Post
Happy Tuesday!

I found this post at the end of the weekend thread with no response. I wanted to bring it to today so everyone could help provide a little motivation...

I know that breaking point feeling! Last Thursday my husband brought home my fav food in the world, no not IP Tom Soup, lol, Buffalo Wild Wings garlic parm wings... I was already in a bad mood because I was severely constipated, looked 5 months prego, and just felt emotional... I had dreamt of buttered stone-ground toast the evening prior and kept repeatedly sniffing my 9 y/o's buttercream vanilla mini cake from WallyWorld. Well after I yelled at the hubby for getting wings and forgetting my damn enema, I started to daydream about walking into stores and buying new summer clothes and trying on bathing suits... I never get to buy bathing suits based on my love of the color or design, but how well it would hold my fat hips in. I pictured myself lying out at the beach (I have not done this for a few years due to embarrassment of my body) and thinking about how hot I look (not what I’m going to eat for lunch). When I get super down, I focus on that phase 3 breakfast when I can have a piece of stone ground toast and the phase 4 weekly mandatory cheat day and it makes things better that I will have my wings again! Don't give up, you can do this
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM   #6  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Good morning all my IP friends. Today is another great day to be on the program. We can do it. I have a friend and his girlfriend starting the "John Size Me" IP with alternatives program today. Spent a few hours on the phone with them as they were picking out their supplements and protein powders. They are excited to start, I just hope they can stick with it.

I also have 2 female coworkers that are starting next Monday on the John Size Me program. I feel a lot of pressure to help them succeed with this but ultimately it has to be done by them. I can give them all the information in the world but they have to follow it. One lady has Hypothyroid issues and is on meds for it. I told her to speak to her health professional about doing an IP program with her hypothyroidism.

Could someone tell me what she would need to know, watch for or be concerned about doing IP with Hypothyroid issues? I know there have been posts about it, but have just glazed over since I did not have an issue with this. Is there a problem or issue? What should I tell her, change for her? She said she was still going to call her doctor.

Have a great day all! We ca do it!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/208/150

Height: 5'7"

Julia 1573 - Sure does sound like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself. And now likely beating yourself up for the sugar slip. Take a deep breath, hon. Those first few days can be really tough....really tough...so don't be too mad a yourself. Get back on the horse, and when you're having trouble come and talk to us. Right away. And be kind to yourself. Maybe treat yourself like you have a cold this week. Be gentle, because this too shall pass, and sugar will loosen it's grip on you. Hang in there - we are here.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/182/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
Good morning all my IP friends. Today is another great day to be on the program. We can do it. I have a friend and his girlfriend starting the "John Size Me" IP with alternatives program today. Spent a few hours on the phone with them as they were picking out their supplements and protein powders. They are excited to start, I just hope they can stick with it.

I also have 2 female coworkers that are starting next Monday on the John Size Me program. I feel a lot of pressure to help them succeed with this but ultimately it has to be done by them. I can give them all the information in the world but they have to follow it. One lady has Hypothyroid issues and is on meds for it. I told her to speak to her health professional about doing an IP program with her hypothyroidism.

Could someone tell me what she would need to know, watch for or be concerned about doing IP with Hypothyroid issues? I know there have been posts about it, but have just glazed over since I did not have an issue with this. Is there a problem or issue? What should I tell her, change for her? She said she was still going to call her doctor.

Basically she needs to wait an hour after taking thyroid meds before having shakes or any food for that matter. Also, if she will be taking calcium or any other vitamins she should wait at least an hour. I take my thyroid meds in the morning, then an hour or two later I have my breakfast shake. I don't take my first vitamins (multi vitamin and cal-potassium) until lunch. If she takes the thyroid meds at night she should wait 3 hours after eating or taking any vitamins. This is according to the sheet that I get with my prescription. She should talk to her dr. but she should be able to look up on the internet the interactions etc. on the internet for what ever medicine that she is taking for her thyroid.

Also, I believe my thyroid is why I am a "slow loser".

Hope this helps! Good luck to her!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/196/170

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning from Northern Manitoba Canada...we are sitting at a balmy -7 this morning, but suppose to warn up to about +12 today . I just have a quick question...what is OP? I see it a lot but no posting for a meaning. Thanks a bunch
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I have my WI later today and I am not expecting much progress this week. Not sure why not but I think TOM is due soon and may be affecting things. Joy!

I am still feeling good about IP and so happy that I am doing this! I have adjusted my goal to 135 lbs as that is what I really want and this diet isn't so bad after all... I wanted to be done as soon as possible but now I don't mind sticking with it a little longer to get where I really want to be. We'll see how it goes! It is my body and my money, so I reserve the right to change my mind (within reason, of course).

Thank you for being there! I couldn't do this without you all!

Originally Posted by Julia 1573
I feel so bad this morning... Last night (second day on IP) I had an emotional breakdown and ate about 400 calories of carbs and sugar. Is it normal to feel stressed out, anxious and out of control? I'm going back to work on Tuesday and I am scared of not being able to stick to the plan. I know that if I can't handle the pressure, I will start eating junk food again. My husband says that it's all in my head, that I'm the one putting everything on my shoulders. Please share your motivational stories with me!

Welcome Julia!

You can do this. You just need to plan it out. I know first hand what it is like to feel stressed out, anxious and out of control. You will learn to adjust and get these emotions under control. You can't control your environment but you can control how you react to it and you can control what you put in your mouth. When you control your diet and your body starts reflecting these changes, you start to feel like you can control the rest of the things that you need to in your life as well and your confidence will go up!

I work full-time and I am the mom of two children. It just takes some planning.

For breakfast, I usually have a drink (RTD vanilla, Pina Colada Smoothie or Pineapple Banana drink with a multi-vita, Potassium and Omega 3 (I usually bring them to work with me and have them at my desk). I put some vanilla RTD in my coffee and I only have one a day in the morning.

For lunch, I usually make a salad to bring to work with me with various veggies in it and some homemade or WF dressing. I have that with a packet (chili, soup, etc.).

At home, I have the same meat, poultry or fish and veggies as I prepare for the rest of my family. I usually prepare a starch for them and I omit that from my plate. I usually have another multi vita, two calcium magnesium and an omega 3 with dinner.

My evening snack is usually a chocolate RTD (and my last two calcium-magnesium), which I find both satisfying and comforting.

Bring extra stuff to work with you to munch on: celery, dill pickles, cooked ham slices (watch out for sodium and sugar), hard boiled eggs (preferably the whites only), cucumber slices, etc.

You can also bring one restricted item per day that feels like a junk food to you (ridges, southwest cheese curls, soy puffs).

Sip lots of hot teas... herbal teas are great!

The first week is the hardest. I started seeing results at the end of the second week and it has been amazing since then!

Just take it one meal at a time... one day at a time... you'll be doing it before you know it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post

Hi Juiceman!

I am hypothyroid and I take Synthroid (once per day). I normally have to wait one hour after taking my thyroid medication before eating but my coach told me to wait two hours after taking my thyroid medication in the morning before having any IP supplements or packets as the ingredients may cancel out (or reduce) the effects of my thyroid medication. I don't necessarily lose weight as fast as some other people that I am seeing but overall, I feel that this diet is working extremely well for me (certainly better than anything else I've tried) and has helped with many other issues that I have had (digestive issues, insomnia, anxiety, depression, mood swings, irritability, etc.)!

As she loses weight, she may want to have her bloodwork redone to make sure that her dose is still right for her as it may need to be readjusted along the way (which makes me think of the little "episode" that I had this weekend... duh! Why didn't think of that sooner... Maybe I need to check mine too!). Just have her read the effects of an overactive thyroid and if she has any of those symptoms along the way, she may need to have her dose adjusted.

Other than that, I have not had any issues or problems.

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 04-26-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #11  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAnts View Post
Happy Tuesday!

Originally Posted by Julia 1573 I feel so bad this morning... Last night (second day on IP) I had an emotional breakdown and ate about 400 calories of carbs and sugar. Is it normal to feel stressed out, anxious and out of control? I'm going back to work on Tuesday and I am scared of not being able to stick to the plan. I know that if I can't handle the pressure, I will start eating junk food again. My husband says that it's all in my head, that I'm the one putting everything on my shoulders. Please share your motivational stories with me!

Julia 1573: The first few days are definitely the worst. Your body is going through carb detox/withdrawal and it is very similar to going through other types of withdrawal... it's emotionally difficult and I can't blame you for turning back to food for comfort. However, please realize that you have to stay away from carbs and sugar in order to get past the cravings and into the part of this program where you feel good. We've all been there... but it's a journey that you can't fully appreciate until you are on the other side.

This program is about changing your relationship with food completely. Think of ways to prepare yourself for situations where you know you will feel completely out of control. You mentioned that you are going back to work. Why do you think you can't handle the pressure? Your husband seems to believe you have the ability to handle things. Why do you doubt yourself??

I think you need to take things a few hours at a time. Since you are still very new to the program, make sure that you are NOT hungry. This will help keep your other cravings in check and will help you with the emotional nature of your carb withdrawal. My first week, I ate 4 or 5 packets each day. Have something at 10:30 or 11am before lunch to make sure that you don't get hungry at all... Have a shake or something else right before you go to bed. When you wake up in the morning, have some salt and water right away and give yourself a few minutes before standing up.

I remember the beginning of the program, just a short 8 weeks ago for me. I was so scared about every little thing. I thought I would hate the food. I thought I would feel sick. I thought I would fail. These are all normal feelings... Hang in there and come to this forum when you are down. You CAN do this.

Last edited by Pxlkitty4; 04-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #12  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMarie View Post
Good Morning from Northern Manitoba Canada...we are sitting at a balmy -7 this morning, but suppose to warn up to about +12 today . I just have a quick question...what is OP? I see it a lot but no posting for a meaning. Thanks a bunch
On program...
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 153/129/120-125

Height: 5'1"

I am going to up my exercise, just wondering if that means I automatically need to up my protein? I want to start back on the 30 day shred, which is a little more intense than just the cardio I have been doing. So how should I do it? Add more protein b4 I exercise or after?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #14  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw83 View Post
I am going to up my exercise, just wondering if that means I automatically need to up my protein? I want to start back on the 30 day shred, which is a little more intense than just the cardio I have been doing. So how should I do it? Add more protein b4 I exercise or after?
My advice to you would be not only up your protein, but you need to up your calories. Protein is not a good energy source for working out, it will help build and repair what exercise and lifting does to your muscles and body. Your energy comes from fuel you have to burn which are calories. You need calories to burn during your workouts so you do not get "wiped" out. I am personally having a drink before and after workout, but I lift and not a lot of cardio. Days that I lift, I am going to consume an extra 500 calories at least.

Just some thoughts.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #15  
Slowly Shrinking!

S/C/G: Size 18/Size 18/Size 12

Height: 5'8

Default GREAT Morning!

Good morning everybody! Had a wonderful weigh in yesterday - after weeks of 1 or 2 pound losses, I was down 3.2, which got me to THIRTY TOTAL POUNDS! I am so excited I had to post just to see my pretty signature.

For those of us on the official IP "alternative" plan, never getting to ketosis can be quite the mixed blessing. Tiny tastes of forbidden foods are easier to justify, but they still have negative results, and can limit loss much more than I thought possible. I'm committed to staying 100% sugar free this week and running my tail off. I want to see another great loss next week!

My wonderful coach is so nice - she's so supportive and complimentary of how the weight loss is changing my figure. It's so great to see results, it helps me keep my mind off treats!

Have a great day everyone.
Closed Thread