Old 04-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #1  

Default Newbie

Hi. I've lurked at this site a few times over the years but never joined. I see so many inspiring stories that it gives me a inkling of hope that maybe I can do it too. I need to lose well over 100 lbs. Which just the thought of is overwhelming. I know you should look it as a little goals but I still KNOW what it is, ya know? I have some health issues that have contributed to my problem and make it harder to lose (hypothyroid/sleep apnea). I am well treated for both, but it's still an issue. I need to get my insulin resistance in check I think. My fasting blood sugar is still in the normal, but I know I have blood sugar issues. Okay, sorry for all that background... I was wondering if anyone had any advice for keeping your eating under control when you sit at a desk all day long for work and you are NOT busy. To the point where you feel like eating is all there is... No, unfortunately, getting a new job isn't a possibility right now. And I've tried to ask for work, but there just isn't. And extra things I do get, don't really take up that much time. It's very frustrating.

I bought a bike and have been biking with my DH several times a week and I love it and I've joined a program at my farm, where I get a box of produce of whatever is growing locally that week, so my meals and snacks have been overhauled by that. Who has time to eat fast food when there is so much produce to go through? Unfortunately, I haven't been losing anything. I've just gained weight. UGH! I also have very bad swelling everyday (5-10+ lbs a day), so I never know my real weight.

I am just getting to that point where I need it off. I hate it! I want something else. I've done WW a few years ago but I gained it all back. I've done low gi, which really makes me lose the best, I just tend to slip off easily.

Anyway, sorry to drag on. I'm really hoping that I can find other people to talk to here who are going through the same thing and who have done it and won.

Jen
jen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Jen77!

Drink more water at work and you will have something to do every hour. As a bonus, it might help with the swelling.

When I have 'boredom' hunger, I use teeth whitener strips to keep my mouth busy for a hour. There's also brushing your teeth, polishing your nails, oil your cuticles, moisturize your hands and arms, etc. Label all the things on your desk - stapler, clips, get super organized and then do it again next week. Keep a food and mood journal. Figure the calories and then count the calories when you have the extra time at work. Make a list of how you would spend your lottery winnings of $1M and then $20M and then $50M and then... get very specific. Get a plant or two (or five) for your desk and tend to one on one day and the another the next day. How 'bout some chair exercises?

More than the activities, it helps to have that full feeling by eating stick-with-you food. I like combos of protein and good carbs like LF cheese stick and a fruit, 2 oz greek yogurt over 1 c. berries topped with 1 oz walnuts, raisins and peanut butter on celery, bell pepper and hummus, etc. Make it last with a bite every so often rather than scarfing it all at once.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #3  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Have you looked into the IR diet? There is a book, but there is also lots of info online. It is specifically designed to help with insulin resistance, it's seriously easy to follow and much easier to stick to, IMO, than a typical low carb plan. It's basically about balancing your carbs with protein. I do a combo of that and calorie counting.

For the boredom munchies you need to find something else to do. If you have no work would your boss mind you leaving your desk? Do you have stairs at work? You could walk away and go up and down the stairs a few times. The chair exercises are a great suggestions and if you google you can find tons of those. You could maybe even keep some hand weights at your desk? You could also keep some 'free' foods like celery sticks and tomato for the munchies.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote