Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #1  
Paula

S/C/G: 300/300/230

Height: 5, 8"

Question Does Curves really work?

I was thinking about joining curves because they have a "one week free" program. I am very self cautious about my weight and I've went to gyms before and didn't like the atmosphere. Can anyone tell me their experience with Curves? Does it work? How much does it cost? Is it worth it?

Thanks! -Paula

btw. im new & looking forward to making new friends to help support me on my weight loss journey
CurvyQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I worked at Curves a few years ago, and I would say it works for most individuals. You have to go 3-5 times a week and you have to watch what you eat in order to be successful there. It definitely works to a point, but as your fitness level increases and your weight decreases you may want to try a traditional gym again. Curves is great for women who are normally sedentary and are trying to get into the weight loss/fitness groove, but women who are already active it doesn't seem to do much for (this was what a former coworker advised me as well, and she's a certified personal trainer).

Things may have changed in the 7 years since I worked there, so I can't really help with cost. I would say if it's in your price range try it out, but don't get into any long-term contract if you can avoid it.

You'll find a lot of support here for all your goals! Good luck!
ArEyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #3  
Happy Member

I've worked out at Curves for several years now, and it does work. You have to work it though. There are those who just go there for the fellowship, but if you work the machines as hard as you can you will get a great workout.

You will find all shapes and sizes, all weights from super obese to slender, all ages from the very young to the senior citizens. No one should feel out of place.

Regarding costs, each Curves has its own price scale, you'll just have to ask.

Give it a try for the free week, and see what you think. Then make your decision.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #4  
it's always something

Hi, and welcome to 3FC

We have a lot of members that use or have used Curves and loved it. I've heard it's a lot of fun.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I did use Curves and only quit when I broke my shoulder ( not at Curves) that eliminated a lot of machines that I could use. If my shoulder ever heals I will go back.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #6  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I used curves about 7 years ago (was in the 170's weight-wise). My MIL pretty much MADE me join. I didn't really lose any weight but I did get really toned. I wasn't ready for my weight loss back then and was still eating poorly. I'm sure it will work for someone who is ready to change their eating habits as well.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #7  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

If you go ever other day and cut your calories then it will work because you are burning calories with the physical part of it. The problem is people buy memberships then skip days. If you commit yourself it will work. And push yourself!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'd recommend taking any free and cheap trial or short-term memberships you can get near you. Most gyms will let you do a free or cheap trial or short term membership, at least a free day pass, especially if you make it clear that you do not intend to sign a longer contract without trying the facilities first. If you make it clear that they don't get a big chunk of your money until you've tried the program, they'll eventually give in, though expect a good sales pitch. Some gym staff are so good at it, and so smooth, they can convince you to sign away every penny you have. (I once had a guy almost convince me that I could get a second job so I could afford a membership to his gym, though if I got a second job, I wouldn't have had time to go to the gym).

I know when you're conscious about your size, the last thing you want to do is get into the water, but I'd really recommend working up the courage and trying water exercise. Your body doesn't work against you nearly as much in the water (in fact, it can be an advantage because of the extra bouyancy), and you can get as good a workout, without feeling like it (until you get out of the water, then you notice that you've been sweating and your legs get rubbery and sore after a good workout, but you don't feel it until you've finished - that does mean you have to pay attention to your workouts).

Gym pools with water arthritis and fibromyalgia classes (even if you don't have or aren't sure you have arthritis or fibromyalgia) are really great for larger bodies. Not just because the movements are modified to various abilities, but because of the wider array of body shapes in the classes. You won't feel you're the only person who doesn't look perfect in a swim suit).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #9  
SereneCalorieCounter

S/C/G: 180/138/142

CURVES is great. Fast pace, never boring, and you get really toned. I did it for several months without dieting and not long after starting, looked great. If I had been eating right, would have been even more effective.

All shapes and sizes of women go there, and you just do your half hour and leave--nobody stares or criticizes.

Go for it.
blueheron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 328/322/175

I love your hello kitty!

Curves didn't work for me. I'm a very social person with a short attention span and to be the only one going (6pm) at my time and doing the same thing every single day was something I couldn't deal with. I lasted a month. So for me, no, curves doesn't work.
Sparkly Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #11  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'd recommend if you like it taking a close look at their open hours. I found the local Curves was usually closed when I was most likely able to use it, nights, Sundays, and holiday weekends.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/183/125

Height: 5'4"

I went to curves faithfully every morning for 6 months, 6 days a week and never lost a single pound. I personally don't think you can work it hard enough and you don't get enough cardio from it IMO.
Aileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #13  
Happy Member

I have enjoyed my membership at Curves, and it worked for me. The workouts increased my energy level and my flexibility. It certainly was a help to me on my personal weight-loss journey.

You get as much out of Curves as you put into it - that is, work the machines as hard as you are able to work them. Some members just go for the social aspect of Curves, and that is OK for them. But for a value workout, you have to work the machines.

You will find all age levels, all sizes, and all fitness levels at any Curves. The staff is helpful and friendly. The atmosphere at Curves is great!!!

I suggest you try the free week, and see what you think. Inquire about the hours at your local Curves. FYI, most Curves are closed on Sundays. And each Curves sets their own price, so you just have to ask about that, too.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I used Curves for years and loved it. Unfortunately, the place nearest me closed and I now pretty much rely on my treadmill. But it's a great place to (re)introduce a fit lifestyle and enjoy the company!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #15  
I think I can...

I went to curves for a short while (30 day free membership) & it really worked for me. Going 3x a week for 30 mins I lost about 15 pounds. I wasn't very athletic at the time and was just getting into exercising.
The only drawback was that curves is a bit more expensive than other gyms, in my area the membership was about $40 a month.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote