View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003, 09:55 PM   #10
katrinabgood
a work in progress...

Thumbs down epiphany

I was outside, doing some gardening today. I have a large flower bed in front of the house, about 4-5 feet deep and maybe 12 feet wide. There are some shrubs and some perennials there, but I leave room up front to plant annuals each spring...begonias or marigolds or petunias. With all the rain and snow we've had, there are LOTS of weeds going strong already, not to mention all the maple "whirlybird" seeds ALL over the place. I stood out there today, totally overwhelmed, not having a clue where to start and thinking, "I will NEVER get through all this, there's just TOO MUCH to do!" Then I thought of my friend, Flylady, who preaches, "You can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes!" As overwhelming as any task can be, whatever you can accomplish in 15 minutes, WILL make a difference. After the time is up, you decide...maybe you'll say, "That's it! I'm done!" and it's OK ~or~ you may think, "Well, that wasn't too bad, maybe I can do just a little more!" (Generally, you'll want to do a little more because you are so pleased with the results that you got in only 15 minutes!

You following me so far? Hang in there...

Okay, so there I was, down in the dirt. I figured that I would just concentrate on one small area at a time...maybe a foot square. Well, how hard is it to pick a few weeds out of such a small area? No problem! I had my bucket with me, in which to toss the weeds, and my little claw to turn the dirt over after I cleared it...As I'm moving through the bed in this way, (cheerfully because it's not hard to work such a small area)...I HAD AN EPIPHANY! I realized that the huge flower bed is like the amount of weight that I want to lose. Sometimes it is just utterly OVERWHELMING to think in terms of how much need to be done...I could stand there and moan about how hard it's going to be, or how long it's going to take, or how it'll just come back anyway...~OR~ I can gather my tools, concentrate on just getting started, and take one little step at a time... I also realized that it's okay to make mistakes! As I tossed out something that I planted last year that didn't make it through the winter, it occured to me that...well, if the low fat thing doesn't work well for me, maybe the low carb thing wlll! (so far so good!) I will throw away the perfectionist attitude! So what if I don't lose 10 lbs the first week? Am I moving in the right direction? Am I doing what needs to be done to get the job done? Then that's all I need to know. The rest will follow.

So I will "water my garden" and "feed it well" and I will be patient...

So there's my epiphany...anyone else?

Nobody can bring you peace but yourself... Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by katrinabgood; 05-13-2003 at 10:00 PM.