General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default "I'd rather be" comments

I was scanning over a website I had joined and was disappointed to see a certain status update. The girl said "I'd rather be a skinny **** than a ugly over weight *****"...part of me wants to chew her out and but I know it would just turn into "well you're a fatty so of course you're offended".

How do comments like that make you feel and how do you handle them when you hear them? (personally, I feel like being petty and saying at least I've got a beautiful face instead of being only hot to a guy when he's doing me from behind...grr lol) I think it's sad that today's society puts so much emphasis on weight. Skinny or fat doesn't mean beautiful or ugly because there are gorgeous large women out there and hideous skinny girls too. What do you think?
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 AM   #2  

I would rather know people for who they really are then just based on the shell thats on the outside. I don't get the way people judge others on their weight, as I don't see the body, I like knowing the mind behind the body.
But yes there are so many people who just see the shell,so glad I am not one of those judgemental people who miss out on having so many incredible people in their lives that they walk on by instead of stopping and saying hello.
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

I consider the source and let it go. The Internet is FULL of people with no filter (or common sense), people trolling, and people who deliberately let their hate out online because they're too cowardly to do it IRL.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #4  
Wear 9/10 by 9/10/11!!

S/C/G: 160/158/130or9-10inPants

Height: 5'4

What makes someone skinny or overweight "ugly"? I think that society puts way too much pressure on "skinny=pretty". Im 30lbs overweight but Im pretty. Do I look smokin hot in a 2 pc bikini? No, but then again, who really cares? I know Im pretty.
Morethananumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Don't feel bad about it. Many people use the anonymity of the internet to say things that they would never say otherwise. More than likely, it's a bored teenager with nothing better to do than attempt to pick a fight out of boredom. Don't give them the satisfaction.

PS: You are very pretty.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #6  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Ya know, the thing about people and their weight loss
is that they go through a whole bunch of different
stages. Right now she may truly think thin = pretty
and big = ugly. Will she think that a couple months
from now? Maybe, maybe not. May she think that
the rest of her life? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm guilty of going through that stage and I'm sure
millions of other people go through it too.

Now I'm just thankful and blessed that I'm healthy.
There's times when I would get so weight concious
that I would purposely skip meals despite the dangers
everyone told me. I didn't have respect for myself
and that continued until I reached 122 lbs (where I
was completely grumpy and skeleton-looking).

I changed my whole mind frame, gained weight up to 135 lbs,
and have started running/toning up instead and I'm down to 131.4 lbs.
Each day I eat two breakfasts, a big lunch, and two dinners to
help my body get the nutrition it needs.

Though you may be disappointed that she said that, in her mind
she's going through that stage (and quite possibly a mental illness)
where she truly doesn't see that HEALTHY IS THE NEW THIN!

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #7  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

We all know that inner beauty is more important and nothing that is on the outside can change that. When it comes to physical beauty it is all a matter of personal taste. It changes depending on who you ask, where you are, what century it is, the reason you're asking, etc. To some people a fat person is not physically attractive and that's ok, as long as they aren't out there bashing anyone they are allowed to have that opinion. To some people a skinny person is not physically attractive, and as long as they are civil they are also allowed that opinion. Some people don't think blonds are pretty and some people would only ever date a blond. Some people like an athletic look, some don't. Some people think freckles are the ugliest thing ever and some people think that they are gorgeous. Some people think extreme body builders are hot and some think they are gross. There's a type for everyone and I think that's wonderful. We don't have to all be the same and we don't have to all like the same thing.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #8  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilidawn View Post
I was scanning over a website I had joined and was disappointed to see a certain status update. The girl said "I'd rather be a skinny **** than a ugly over weight *****"...part of me wants to chew her out and but I know it would just turn into "well you're a fatty so of course you're offended".

What do you think?
Lol @ the behind part.

ALSO: I might say something like "at least I'm not ugly on the inside, too."

And I pay those people no mind. They are not worth my (or your) time. She's likely young and petty, and pretty soon might have her very own brush with being "ugly"... in her own way.

And you are pretty!

****, even at almost 260 I thought I was pretty.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #9  
SiLly MuCh?

S/C/G: 200/193/130

Height: 5'5''

You know, people do not change. Trends change, fashions change, people do not. At one point in history, there was an English queen ( I can't remember which one) who made fat beautiful. Because she was rich and could afford food and sweets during a time when many struggled just to survive, people associated being fat as being well to do and beautiful. Today, society pushes skinny = beautiful because well to do people can afford health food and gym memberships and expensive beauty products. What doesn't change is the way people act towards those that don't meet whatever guidelines society is pushing down our throats at the moment. It's sad but true. We live in a judgmental society. I think that people as a whole are getting better each generation, but it will never be perfect.
Dilli Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #10  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Well that just comes off as shallow. She'd apparently rather be a nasty human being than be overweight? LOL! Even if she is ever really stick then, she still fail at being a decent person, is that ever disordered...but to each their own, I guess.

I have been fat and I have been thin and my people who value who I am as a person have never added or subtracted points from their view of me b/c of what the scale said...beauty is skin deep but ugly is to the bone.

Last edited by 4star; 04-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #11  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilidawn View Post

How do comments like that make you feel and how do you handle them when you hear them? (personally, I feel like being petty and saying at least I've got a beautiful face instead of being only hot to a guy when he's doing me from behind...grr lol) I think it's sad that today's society puts so much emphasis on weight. Skinny or fat doesn't mean beautiful or ugly because there are gorgeous large women out there and hideous skinny girls too. What do you think?
Frankly, I simply don't care. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Like me, don't like me, doesn't matter. However, there are plenty of reasons for both that aren't contingent on my appearance.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #12  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I'd just ignore her...
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #13  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

I admit I get ticked off sometimes too, but in the end there's something to remember in these situations that almost always applies....
Generally people who feel the need to purposefully makes others uncomfortable by putting them down do so because they have negative feelings about themselves. I'm not talking about jealousy, which people are quick to point to-oh she's just jealous. I don't think this woman is jealous of overweight people-but I do think she is insecure about her looks and her rude comments are her defense-"well atleast I'm not FAT" implies that while she may be skinny she does not think herself beautiful.

We just have to learn to let these comments go in one ear and out the other. In an ideal world we would all encourage one another and feel great about ourselves, but it will never be. If you let it get to you then they have accomplished what they set out to do by making that comment in the first place. Don't give any ***** the satisfaction.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #14  
Vegan for the animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonashi View Post
I consider the source and let it go. The Internet is FULL of people with no filter (or common sense), people trolling, and people who deliberately let their hate out online because they're too cowardly to do it IRL.

I completely agree. This person is probably only bold because she is anonymous behind a computer screen. Or would only say this to someone with a posse behind her as back up. Coward is the word.

Let it go and don't let it get to you. I know easier said than done at times. Stick with the positive. And I agree you can't argue with someone like that.
VegDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Good to see all the feedback. I was really curious how other people feel about things like that (peoples opinions fascinate me). I just let it go because I don't see people like that changing often and even if they were capable of change, it's not worth my time and energy (I've got way too much going on right now to bother lol). It's like how I was at the store the other day picking up groceries for my home health client and I heard two girls say "look at that fat chick go" and saw they were pointing at me. For a moment I get upset about the way I get treated as a large girl but I've gotten better over time to just say "whatever" because I'm a good person, beautiful in my own way and my friends would all be upset with me if I let it bring me down.

Speaking of the feedback though, a lot of responses are in relation to online comments of the sort but what about when you hear it IRL?
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote