South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #1  
Ilana

S/C/G: 165/152/135

Height: 5,2

Question Stalled after 4 1/2 weeks

I have stalled for the past 2 weeks after the initial P1 weight loss. It's frustrating since I go to the gym 5 days a weeks and sweat my butt of for at least 40 minutes a day, and have only incorporated 1 whole wheat tortilla at lunch, no fruit yet, dinner and breakfast are still p1 style meals. Can anyone suggest some change up, I really need to fit into my summer dresses for a trip in July. I reread my SBD book to see if there is anything I am consuming that is not within the parameters but I am not. I am not cheating at all which is reallllllly difficult but I am determined to lose at least 10 more lbs before I go on vacation. HELP!

Usual menu:
canadian bacon
2 poached eggs
coffee, Can't give it up w/o giving up sanity!

Salad w scoop of tuna 2 tbls greek dressing no carrots

pistachios with cheese stick, or
no sugar added PB with celery

1 med WW tortilla avocado cucumber grilled chix toms lettuce sf italian dressing

celery
lots of water all day

Last edited by IlanaDemars; 04-21-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added menu post
IlanaDemars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #2  
South Beacher

S/C/G: 230/211/175

Height: 5'7

I don't have any advice, but I am sure the first people will ask you to do is to post your menu for a day. This way they can look and help you. I know me personally I have to watch portions along with the Sb woe. I also have to watch my dairy and cheese intake on phase two.
tammies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

It seems to be pretty typical to stall the first week or two of Phase II... when you add grains/starches and fruits back to your diet, you are replenishing your glycogen stores which causes the body to retain water.

My weight loss typically slows or stalls during the first couple of weeks of Phase II, but then I get a nice woosh and maintain a healthy 1-2 pound a week loss after that...

If you haven't taken your measurements, now would be a good time to do it... I'll bet you are losing inches even if you aren't losing pounds.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 161/133.8/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs View Post
It seems to be pretty typical to stall the first week or two of Phase II... when you add grains/starches and fruits back to your diet, you are replenishing your glycogen stores which causes the body to retain water.
I am new to the diet too and have stalled on week 2 of Phase 2, I am glad you wrote this because I couldn't figure out where I had gone wrong. Hope we both get the weight loss going again soon.
nanjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

It's happened to most of us in Phase II. Try not to get too discouraged. This plan really does work! I agree with taking your measurements.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Just glancing over your menu it looks to me like you're not eating nearly enough. Doesn't seem like you're getting much dairy, either.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 270/see ticker/GW 150

Height: 5'9"

I'm stalling now, too. Haven't lost a thing in 2 weeks. Its really annoying but this thread makes me feel better.
YeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

More veggies? I would ditch the bread and add fruit, sweetpotatoes. Something like that. Bread and I don't get along. We broke up for good. If I want a tortillia...I go with Eizekiel. Gluten free, yeast free...etc. I also had to start counting my calories. Some of us have it difficult to lose weight. I wish it were easier. For you and me both. But don't stop trying and don't stop the gym. They are good changes in your life regardless. Also, I'm thinking you may need more protein. Rule of thumb is 1g per lean body mass. If you don't know your BF % then you can go with .5g per total weight. You might not be able to do it every day but most days...it will help with the gym, too. Good luck and know that we're all here and have been thru it or are going thru it now. The hardest part of this is patience while learning about our own unique bodies. There really isn't a one size fits all diet out there that will work for everyone.

Last edited by kmac1196; 04-23-2011 at 06:57 AM.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/192/125

Height: 5' 3"

I stalled right around the 2-3 week mark too. Honestly, I didn't change much-just kept following the plan and exercising and after a while my body started responding again. I did start eating my whole-grain in the morning instead of lunch or dinner and that seemed to help. I agree with the last post about protein. I found that I really need to pay attention to my hunger signals, especially since I've added more exercise than I've ever done before. I try to have a small protein snack before workouts and for an evening snack. I can really tell the difference in my energy level and even my mood throughout the day if I don't get enough protein.
bnhtla06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

I don't think you are eating enough for as much as you are exercising. I bet your calories are right around 1000/day and yet your burning upwards of 250 cals at the gym! Your body may be hanging on to every fat cell it has, aka starvation mode.

I think your diet would look really good with more veggies and a bit more high quality protein. Don't just have a scoop of tuna, have 4-5 oz of it, etc. Make sure you are getting in the protein your body needs. Also, can you add a whole grain before your workout? I don't know SBD too well, but if you are working out that hard, certainly you need 1 whole grain/day or a caesin protein with natural carbs in it (greek yogurt) for fuel. If you don't have glycogen stores and choose to workout, your muscle is the next chosen fuel source.

Last edited by serendipityberry; 04-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 168/159.6/139

There are many good points here, but also remember that you initially lose water weight and around week 4-5 your body replenishes that water. Also, you are probably replacing fat with muscle, which is awesome even if the scale doesn't move.

And I don't know how frequently you weight yourself, but when I noticed the scale staying still around weeks 4-5, I took a two week hiatus from the scale, and when I weighed myself 2 weeks later, it felt good to see a 2 lb decrease, whereas if I had been weighing in between, I might have been discouraged with the 1 lb loss on each week.
NicoleInCt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #12  
Ilana

S/C/G: 165/152/135

Height: 5,2

Thanks for the posts to my thread, and many of your were right, my measurements have gone down significantly even though the scale for the past two weeks has said 152 day after day. I think my scale is stubborn. lol. I'll try eating more protein, adding grilled chicken with my lunch, as well as a sf protein shake before the gym.
IlanaDemars is offline   Reply With Quote