PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Question Question about TOM (Warning: TMI)

Ok so, like many with PCOS, I don't have extensive knowledge on what's normal when it comes to TOM. I'd get a period maybe every 12-18 months and it'd be super heavy for 4-5 days then gone again.

Then I had a baby and got Mirena and bled for a month solid then no more periods. Had it removed, got pregnant, had baby #2. Six weeks post partum I had the copper IUD placed.

Now, I've weaned and got my first period in March. Then, 34 days later, I get another period. That's quite shocking. Even more so, it's damn heavy. I've gone through five "super" tampons since 8 am.

Is it normal to get more frequent periods after pregnancies with PCOS? Is this just a result of the IUD? I wouldn't think so since the Paragard is hormone free. It's just so strange to have them this frequent as a PCOS person. It feels weird to be wondering if your period is normal at the age of 27. Isn't this suppose to be covered in middle school health class?
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #2  
Wear 9/10 by 9/10/11!!

S/C/G: 160/158/130or9-10inPants

Height: 5'4

I dont know much about PCOS, except what it is and that it effects your ovaries and getting pregnant. Now i do know about extra heavy periods, but thats because i have a cyst on my right ovary. Could you have a cyst (in addition to PCOS)? have you been to the OB to get checked out? Are you passing clots? Could you have been pregnant? If you weaned, it could be your body getting use to having a period again.

Im not a doctor, but i have been at the TTC game for some time, almost 3 years. Vitex and Fertilaid is suppose to help regulate cycles and help with bleeding...now whether its ok for PCOS i dont know.
Morethananumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

If I have a cyst, it would have developed very recently as they checked them with my last sonogram when pregnant.

I have an appointment with my OB in May but wasn't sure when a super heavy period should be a concern. I know most of the time it seems heavier to you than it actually is.

My body could be getting back to normal (whatever that is! ). The first pregnancy, I was on a low dose pill while nursing then switched to Mirena while still nursing so I never had a chance to let things regulate on their own.

I have a bottle of Vitex, as well as some other suppliments, I just had been holding off trying them because I was nursing. You provided a nice reminder to start taking them and see how it affects me (better or for worse!)
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

It's normal to get a period 37 days later!

As for the heaviness, that's so subjective that you're going to have to talk to your doctor about that.

I've gotten heavy periods, especially if I've been skipping months. I want to say that it's like all the uterine lining is building up in there and when it finally comes out, it really comes out!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote