Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #1  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Default Medial Ligament Tear - Anyone???

Uggghhh...after sufferring for the past 3-4 weeks with a terrible inner left knee pain, I've finally come to the conclusion that I need to stop running and find out what's wrong with me. After doing some internet research, it seems I have a stage 2 medial ligament tear. This is saaaaad news as it requires at least 6 weeks off from running. The good news is that I do own an eliptical and a recumbent bike, so I can do those instead. The bad news is that I hate doing them, LOVE RUNNING and am for sure to have withdrawal spasms if I can't run!

Has anyone (runner or elsewise) ever had this injury? How long did it take you to recover and get back to running? Any tips to speed up healing? Cortisone, steriods, etc.? I need relief...uggghhh...I'm icing it now. Going to take some advil.

Thanks.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Ok...well, I've got an appointment with the orthopedic doctor tomorrow morning. Guess I'll get all my answers then. Ugggghhh...I hate injuries!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I`m really happy your going to see a Doctor... I don't like when people self diagnose.... a friend of mine had a groin pain and let it go for a year then found out it was cancer, he could have been in treatment for a year instead of icing and such... Not meaning to scare you but doctors are there for a reason... Good luck with your appointment I'm sure it's exactly what you think it is...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

What did the ortho say?
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #5  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am a big fan of going for physio while healing. The doc can refer you, and they can guide you for whats safe and helpful. Usually getting a few muscles to work a little differently can really help. They can also use ultrasound to speed up healing, and in some cases accupuncture to help with pain etc.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I love my physio therapist he's cute and smart
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Thanks all for your responses. The doc took x-rays (which showed no broken bones or fractures), and ordered MRI (which I'll take next Wed.). He's not sure if it's my "meniscus" or "ligament" tear. I'm really hoping it's not my meniscus though....actually a bit depressed about the whole idea. I CANNOT believe that just 7 months ago I couldn't get myself off the couch and today I'm "depressing" about not being able to run??? WTHey?

Anyhoot..the doc gave me a really strong pain med (hydrocodone), and it made me nauseus as as heck, dizzy and literally knocked me out all day yesterday through the night, and into this morning...I did NOT like it...I have a headache now and feel as if I died for a day! I'm kind of thinking the knee pain was better than dealing with the "drugged out" feeling of the pain med!

I've got my MRI on Wed..and my follow up with my ortho on Mon (May 2nd)...so I'll post the results here then. Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will definitely ask him about physical therapy...

Today...I will refocus my exercise plan to include some strength training as well. I must regroup...and get off the "feel sorry for myself" wagon!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 04-21-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #8  
I'm a SWIMMER!

I ran 5.4 miles today...I just couldn't hold out any longer!!! Who am I kiddin...I hate all other forms of exercise...

When I looked at my elipticle, bike, squat rack, home gym...I said...who are you kiddin?? and went and had a skinny cow! Finally, I said...heck...I can do this...if I run with really really good form...I'll make it...I know I can....I know I can...and just like Thomas (yunno...the lil engine that could)...I DID!

It's official...I'm absolutely certifiable looooooney tune! But now I'm happy for yet another day!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 04-21-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #9  
In the desert...

I had a torn meniscus and suffered with knee pain for a couple of years - really unwise, but that's how I handled it! Last November I had surgery to remove the torn section and while my knee is still often sore, I can now bend it without it grinding like crazy. I had six weeks of physical therapy which helped a ton, and I still do the PT exercises at home 3-4 times a week. I'm back to running 4x a week and while I still ice my knee after every run, I don't have pain or swelling - I do it simply as a cautionary tale. If you do end up with a tear, please be very careful with pushing yourself too much - you could tear it further and make any PT or surgery that much harder. Speaking from bad experience here!
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Did you go to your primary doctor, or a sports medicine/physical therapist?

I'm fairly certain I tore something in my knee about a few years ago (body twisted while my foot stayed planted). I didn't have health insurance at the time, so I didn't see anyone. It still bothers me two years later! It's not as bad as it was, but it definitely hasn't gone away. I have insurance now so I should really go see someone!

Jules mine grinds every time I take a step. I assumed this was more to do with the joint, rather than the ligaments... but the torn meniscus caused yours to make that noise?
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote