Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Default Coconut OIL

My mother-in-law mentioned that she read that coconut oil is really good for you... does anyone use it? What do you use it for? What are the benefits?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

Ha, I just ate a spoonful of it. My mom sent a jar to me. It's a good source of tasty fats, which I need because I'm doing atkins. coconutoil. com is a good source of information about its benefits. I cook with it, add it to my coffee and eat it plain. I've also used it in my hair, the oil leaves it really shiny. I've even seen a recipe for homemade natural deodorant with coconut oil.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Coconut oil is fab. I use it a lot for cooking,hair, skin, and I have heard that it helps you burn more cals. It could be an urban myth, but I still love it.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Apparently it's also good for frying. I haven't had the chance to give it a shot yet.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I put it on my face.

Seriously, I have tried to cook with it but I just don't like it. I can bake with it but I never bake because if I bake...I eat. My friends eat it plain or put it in tea. I have eaten it off a spoon but I'll tell ya, it isn't pleasant.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I've never heard of putting it in tea or coffee..I wonder how that tastes.

When I can get it, I love using it. I like to put a little bit in with my rice to give it a good flavor. It's always worked well for me for frying. I'm guessing coconut oil's probably a heck of a lot better than peanut oil huh?
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

+1 for coconut oil (and milk)!!!!!!!

I eat it daily. I often put a half teaspoon or teaspoon in my coffee, and I use it to saute -- kale, spinach, other greens, other veggies. I love my scallops and shrimp sauteed in coconut oil.

Here are some of the benefits.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #8  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacygee View Post
My mother-in-law mentioned that she read that coconut oil is really good for you... does anyone use it? What do you use it for? What are the benefits?
I've not personally found any unbiased recommendations for coconut oil. All of the sites that recommend it have financial stake in coconut oil companies. Even Mercola, widely quoted in reference to coconut oil, owns a lot of stock in a coconut oil company.

The American Heart Association says it should be avoided.

Even Dr. Weil, well know for supporting natural health, says to avoid it.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA316479
and
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA40061...conut-Oil.html

WebMD has a very good article about it at http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/c...oil-and-health

They tell us that of all the saturated fats, coconut oil is better than the others like beef fat. BUT your total saturated fats should still be strictly limited.

If you were really going to fry something in bacon grease, for example, and you really want to consume a sat-fat then use coconut oil instead. But you shouldn't choose coconut oil over something like olive oil or safflower oil.

Personally, I would rather not risk it. The cons seem to far outweigh the pros.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

My MD friend who completed Weil's integrative medicine program a few years ago (with classes taught by "Andy") uses it -- she's diabetic, super lean, athletic, and her diet is quite pristine.

I actually had lab work 2 weeks ago (vit D, lipid profile, thryoid) -- my HDL's are 89 (!!!!!!) up from 65 a year ago. Incidentally I've been eating coconut oil for about a year. My doctor was actually very happy with how I'm eating, and needless to say praised my results. By the way, I'm 43.

I avoid safflower because of the high omega 6 (I try to eat anti-inflammatory).

The AHA is due for some revisions, IMO.

Last edited by walking2lose; 04-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I don't cook with it or eat it but I love how it makes my skin feel.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #11  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
I avoid safflower because of the high omega 6 (I try to eat anti-inflammatory).
I also do that. I follow Weil's anti-inflammatory diet. He says to avoid regular safflower oil but that organic, high-oleic, expeller pressed safflower oil is ok. I bought a bottle but haven't tried it yet. Of course olive oil is the first choice he recommends, but says this type of safflower oil is good for when you need a neutral flavor.

If anyone else out there is curious about the anti-inflammatory diet, you can read more about it at http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/PAG00361...d-pyramid.html
Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #12  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I also do that. I follow Weil's anti-inflammatory diet. He says to avoid regular safflower oil but that organic, high-oleic, expeller pressed safflower oil is ok. I bought a bottle but haven't tried it yet. Of course olive oil is the first choice he recommends, but says this type of safflower oil is good for when you need a neutral flavor.

If anyone else out there is curious about the anti-inflammatory diet, you can read more about it at http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/PAG00361...d-pyramid.html

Thanks I want to check that out!

I use coconut oil sometimes also it is really good I think but it does make your food taste a lot like coconut which is good sometimes in stir fry and stuff but I can't always use it on things that I don't want tasting like coconut. I use olive oil otherwise but I heard when you heat olive oil at high heat like for frying it actually changes it and then it is not good for you. But coconut oil at high heat is alright and olive oil should be eaten like raw not cooked like in salad dressings and things instead. I have a hard time sticking to that though cuz like I said I don't always want everything tasting like coconut.

It's great for your skin too I like using it for that also.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #13  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2bskinny View Post
I use olive oil otherwise but I heard when you heat olive oil at high heat like for frying it actually changes it and then it is not good for you.
I don't think you have anything to worry about with olive oil. There is a wide spread myth that olive oil turns into trans fats when it's heated and should only be consumed at room temp.

However, that's not really accurate. It can happen, but only under extreme circumstances and it applies to all oils, not just olive oil. When oil is repeatedly heated and reused it will oxidize and become hydrogenated. This can happen in the commercial industry when they reuse oil over and over again. The home cook doesn't typically deep fat fry foods over and over in the same oil. It's very safe for us to use.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #14  
banned

I have a big thing of coconut oil I hardly ever use. When I do use it, I saute with it. I'm still kind of new to cooking, so I don't do a lot. lol.

Btw, how do you use it on your hair and face? Do heat it up first to turn it into a liquid?
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I've seen it sold before, it's like a cream, or lotion. Just slather it on.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote