Thread: Age 50+ Bios
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #27
Riemontana

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi All! I have been reading this thread and I enjoy it so much that I am finally joining officially! My name is Rie and I am from Montana. I am an administrator in a public service, high stress job that I love. I am 51 years old. (how did that happen)?

I have a history of Lupus although I have been in remission for a long time. Last summer I started developing skin rashes and was losing my hair. While the hair loss cause was being explored, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The Dr. was cold and harsh with me as she explained that my 254 pound 5'3" body was the cause. I actually got lucky and found a very nice and kind endocrinologist. I started my health journey on September 1, 2011.

I try to work out every day. I love to do low impact aerobics and the wii in my own home. I have always been a solitary excerciser. I try to follow a moderately low carb, healthy fat vegetable emphasis with lean proteins diet. I only weigh in about every 1 to 2 months. It works for me. I currently am down to 198 pounds - my lowest weight in 18 years.

I love to fish and I own a drift boat for flyfishing rivers and a scruffy little motor boat for lake fishing. I am a competetive pool player and I travel for pool tournaments and play league pool.

I am happily divorced and I have two sons and two adorable grandsons. My oldest son left his wife when he discovered that she was abusing his son and so he has full custody of his 4yr old son. They live with me right now as my son has spent the last year focusing on getting his son healthy. He earns his rent by managing our house, including cleaning, shopping, errands and cooking. He also works a part time job and has a budding photography business. He loves to cook and has been a godsend by planning my food in accordance with my preferences. I always know that there is salad or whatever I need in the fridge and that he will cook a low carb supper for me. I am lucky.

My diabetes is completely under control and I have an A1C that is normal (5.2) My other blood work is pretty healthy too.

I am so grateful to have found this support site and I enjoy being on this site. I have told very few people about my health and I am a pretty private person so I need the support of my sisters on this site. Thank you for being here Golden Girls!