Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 PM   #1  

Question quit smoking

Saturday is a big scary day for me..........I've decided to quit smoking and I'm gonna need lots of help and advise.
I have a subliminal quit smoking mp3 to listen to for help but I am really shaking in my shoes that I won't be able to do this. I'm actually nervous but I really want to succeed this time!
Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2003, 03:22 PM   #2  

Default you can do it!

Hi Elaine!

You can totally do this! I am so sure you will find plenty of support here, and let me add my own! Quitting smoking is very tough-I've been there, but you will feel so great once you've done it! (okay, maybe not right away, but eventually). Maybe you could stash all the money you would be spending on cigarettes and buy yourself something with it-like once a week or once a month-that would really add up quickly!

I wish you the best in your journey!
Old 04-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #3  
Happy Member

It is tough, and I am also one who has been there. Stick with it though, it is worth all the effort. I assure you that I am glad I quit.

Actually for me quitting smoking was much harder than weight loss. I quit "cold turkey" and it worked. But I haven't figured out any way to totally quit eating.

Keep us posted on this. And good luck to you.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:59 AM   #4  

Elaine,
I am proud of you for making this decision. My Dad died 4 years ago from Emphysema and I am still a 2 pack a day smoker! UNBELIEVABLE! You can DO this! As sick as this sounds, I tell myself I'll quit when I've lost all the weight I want. Don't be scared, you will get tons of support from your friends and family and I know you can do it. I won't be far behind you....then we can be EX-smokers together.

Good luck and take care......
Old 05-12-2003, 02:05 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I quit 6 years ago after 25 years of those darn things! I tried cold turkey but never got over the "urge" to taste them. Finally I gave the nicorette gum an honest chance to work-- it did!! for me. Although to be honest I got hooked on the gum for a year it gave me the chance to quit smoking w/o wanting to kill myself. Having the nicotine replacement gave me the chance to break the smoking habit-- then I was able to wean myself off the gum.

Good Luck-- if I can do this you can.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:12 PM   #6  
GmaTo8

As a 2 pack a day for 25 years smoker, I quit over 5 years ago using the patch for a few weeks (but not at night) and here are some things I found out:

You have to stay away from other smokers in the beginning.

The 3rd day is the hardest - once you get past that, the cravings lessen tremendously. The "habit" for oral fixation is still there, tho this is when you need some mints, gum, etc.

Your routine should be changed to get yourself out of trigger situations. For example - I used to smoke while on the phone. So I started letting the machine pick up, and only talked when I had to, and then I made the conversations very short. I also couldn't seem to have a cup of coffee without a cig. So I stopped drinking coffee for quite awhile.

You will be amazed at how bad you smelled before - especially jackets and coats since they seldom get washed. When you pass a smoker in the store, you'll know it. No offense, but they STINK. Also - clean your car, or ithe smell will gross you out.

Having something to do with your hands will help a lot. I tried to embroider, but since I was nervous, I kept messing up, so I bought several coloring books and a big box of crayons and it really helped me.

There is something in fruit juice that keeps the nicotine from leaving your body too abruptly, (according to the carcer pamphlet someone gave me) so I drank a big glass of oj every morning.

Keep a bunch of veggies that you like ready and waiting in the fridge for when you get the munchies.

One last thing - the urge to smoke will pass in about 7 minutes weather you have a cigarette or not - so why have it?? Just take some really deep breaths instead.

The feeling of pride I have for making it is worth the struggle it took to quit.

Btw, I gained only 11 pounds when I quit, and did not diet during the process.

Good luck to you!!

Jana
Old 05-12-2003, 03:05 PM   #7  

Hey thanks everyone, I really need all the tips and support I can get! It's been 2½ weeks now and I can honestly say the cravings aren't driving me up the wall anymore, don't get me wrong, they're still there but it's not constantly on my mind now and I don't have that urge to choke the first person I see. At least my dh isn't afraid to enter any room I'm in any longer!!! The nights are still the worst, I try to do something to tire me out. My garden has never looked better and the grass is getting cut twice a week, that is making my dh very happy too!!
I haven't gained any weight yet but then I haven't lost either. It's really hard not snacking or smoking. I must open the fridge door at least a dozen times in the afternoon but so far I usually close it without shoving anything in my mouth!!

thanks again for all your support, I really appreciate it!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:31 PM   #8  

Smile

Elaine, congrats on making the tough decision to quit smoking. All the support from members will definitely make this an easier journey. I quit for the last time some 5 years ago and have never looked back, although the urge comes back every once in a while, especially when I have a drink.

When I quit, like one of the previous members, I used nicorette and it really did take the edge off the cravings. I also ate licorice and sucked on cinnamon sticks. I have been told that your bodies withdrawal from nicotine happens quite quickly, it is the habit of doing it that actually takes the longest. Try and avoid triggers if you can; I had to give up coffee in the a.m. on my deck for a while.

Try everything you can until you find what works for you. The first step and the first week are the hardest. Way to go!!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:52 PM   #9  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations on quitting. I quit 7.5 months ago, and kept right on with my diet plan through the whole thing. And I second what everyone has said here in this thread, especially how you'll notice how BAD smokers smell lol. Way to go!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:29 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Way to go Elaine!!!! We're proud of you!!
Closed Thread