Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default I'm CURIOUS! FREE as A BIRD or ......

I am always interested in hearing what people say about their religion or their thoughts in general on it...I was wondering today this....

Would you rather be dependent on God for ALL THINGS "or" Free as a bird?

and WHY?

I think most of you know where I stand .....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2''

I have a hard time being dependent on God for all things, because in real life I have been burned by people I relied on. I want to have control, I want to choose my own destiny, I value my independence from everything. This is so hard for me. Which is why I go in spurts of going to church for a month then lapsing. Because I cannot be dependent on anyone but myself to take care of me.
thelittleflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #3  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

For me, one of the greatest things we have is free will. Choosing to do right versus being compelled to do right--which is the nobler thing? It's a question that C. S. Lewis liked to explore, and he was devoutly Christian himself. (So did Anthony Burgess, but I don't know if he was exploring it from a particular religious perspective.)

Is there an in-between option? Is there space between "dependent for all things" and "free as a bird?" If so, that's where my answer would be. Tiny children are dependent. Adults make choices. There can be no choice without sufficient freedom to make one.

I would rather be free, and be free to choose well. That comes from a decidedly lapsed Presbyterian, though, so I expect my view to look different from others'.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #4  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i have these debates with my fiance on a regular basis. he's in school right now to become a pastor, and he often quotes the line from a song "if you wanna hear God laugh, tell him your plans"... he firmly believes that God has a plan for everyone, but he has allowed that even though God has the plan, the individual in question can take a very circuitous route to get there.

i like to think my decisions are my own, but when they get too much for me, i do pray for strength and guidance. there's comfort, to me, in knowing that i'm not alone and i'm not out there in the wind without a tether.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #5  
One day at a time!

Being an on-and-off LDS...we believe in agency. God has a plan, but we make our own choices. Agency is God's gift to us.

From the Bible dictionary:
Quote:
Agency is the ability and privilege God gives us to choose and to act for ourselves. Agency is essential in the plan of salvation. Without it, we would not be able to learn or progress or follow the Savior. With it, we are "free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil" 2 Nephi 2:27
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you all for your thoughts so far.

I have my thoughts on the subject too but not enough time tonight to post them.

thelittleflower thank you for your thoughts too! But I think you should clarify where your "quote" comes from...I know but some may assume it is from the Bible as you said from the Bible dictionary...I can assure you it is not in any Bible dictionary I own. Please keep posting as I am interested in what you have to say!!

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

BD as in the quaduple combination LDS'ers use for church. Quad consists of KJV Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price.

I'd be happy to go to another church if it more closely matched my beliefs. I'm not too keen on the whole "modern prophet" thing
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I am pretty sure God has already decided this when he bestowed man with dominion over animals and plants and in naming them. In giving them everything, (even the serpant to tempt them) they still used their free will to choose fruit of the forbidden tree.

Its always about choice and God knows this.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #9  
Happy Member

I believe that I was created by God, the Creator.

I believe that I was redeemed by Christ, the Redeemer.

I believe that I was sanctified (made holy) by the Holy Ghost, the Sanctifier.

Being now a child of God I live a life, insofar as I am able, according to His Will. But I am still a sinner, and in need of His forgiveness on a daily basis.

HOWEVER

I have the freedom, or free will, to refuse all of that love that God has shown me. I can choose to reject all of God's Grace. I can choose to live a sinful life outside of the community of believers.

I'm thankful every day that I am a Christian.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #10  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

This is an interesting question becuz GOD has given us FREE WILL; and the FREEDOM to choose life or death (Deuter 30:19). Yes, He has also given us dominion over all the earth and all it contains too (Psalm 8:6). He has given us control over a lot really -- including the choices we make each day. I do prefer to pray and ask for His guidance though; and I do truly believe we get guidance from His Word (the bible) and the Holy Spirit as well.

So, while we may choose to be dependant upon GOD for many good things and His Angel protection, and His wisdom and salvation, and His grace & mercy, and many other wonderful things ... we are also FREE at the same time.

The bible says that "if the Son (Jesus) makes you FREE, then you are free indeed" (John 8:36) & "Christ has made us free" (Galatians 5:1). We are free to make better choices; free from the bondage to sin and free from the fear of death (including the second one); free from guilt & shame; and free to choose a better life & a brighter future for ourselves too ...

Jesus also offered us freedom from the cares of this world, including enslavement to money & things, relationships & people, idols, worries & anxieties, appearances & status, plus rituals, rites & the old laws, etc. Now that's freedom!

While we need to let our hearts be child-like to be free to believe (not childish); we still need to grow up & mature to make adult decisions & choices. That is a unique freedom we have in Christ: to have a free child-like faith in GOD, yet we can still make choices too, like any adult would.

And it's true that man can not always be depended upon (like someone else mentioned here); but we can trust in GOD and rely on the LORD becuz they are faithful & true ... and pure & holy and dependable! That's another freedom GOD gives us. Freedom to trust and rely on Him (just like a child would his/her parent); but GOD is a mature Father and allows us free choice and free will too. He allows us to grow up and make decisions & choices for our lives as well (just like any good parent would); and that includes the freedom to make mistakes too (and boy, do we ever do that a lot; what a patient GOD He is)!

So we have the best of both worlds: we can have some dependancy on GOD and yet Freedom at the same time. Some believe, the less we depend upon ourselves, and the more we depend on GOD, the free-er we become. Does that make any sense to you? Less of me, more of Christ ... is true freedom! I put my confidence in GOD's goodness and in Christ's righteousness, not in me becuz I am flawed & weak. BUT, as I become more like HIM, that is -- the best person that I can be, the free-er me I'll be ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-15-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixC Chix View Post
Its always about choice and God knows this.
True, but is it your choice to be dependent on God?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittleflower View Post
BD as in the quaduple combination LDS'ers use for church. Quad consists of KJV Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctine & Covenants, Pearl of Great Price.

I'd be happy to go to another church if it more closely matched my beliefs. I'm not too keen on the whole "modern prophet" thing
Thank you for your reply....I LOVE your last sentence
Old 04-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you Jo-Jo and Rosebud.....
Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJo2 View Post
Being now a child of God I live a life, insofar as I am able, according to His Will. But I am still a sinner, and in need of His forgiveness on a daily basis.

HOWEVER

I have the freedom, or free will, to refuse all of that love that God has shown me. I can choose to reject all of God's Grace. I can choose to live a sinful life outside of the community of believers.

I'm thankful every day that I am a Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
.....Jesus also offered us freedom from the cares of this world, including enslavement to money & things, relationships & people, idols, worries & anxieties, appearances & status, plus rituals, rites & the old laws, etc. Now that's freedom!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

What if I could break away from the hold of God as a bird and could fly wherever I wanted when I wanted....

would I still need God?