Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #1  
We'll go with that!

S/C/G: 262/230/175

Height: 5'7"

Thumbs up Decreasing Ailments! What have you noticed?

Hey Everyone,

So I was laying in bed last night, just thinking about random stuff before I drift off to sleep when I realized "Hey, my hands aren't asleep!"

I actually have carpel tunnel in both of my wrists. It's not so bad that it required surgery, not that I had health insurance to do so when I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago, but it did prevent me from getting my BA in music performance because I could no longer play my instrument 5-8 hours a day and perform my senior recital. (Seriously, that is all that stood in my way of my degree, and even though I begged and had doctors write to my college, they refused to overlook it.) ANYWAY...

My CT never bothers me in normal situations.. IE, computer, etc. Just weird ones, like playing any of the instruments I can play, brushing my teeth, putting on making up, holding things in my hands (like clothes shopping when you drape the clothing over your arm), doing my daughter's hair, and the positions I prefer to sleep in (on left side, with arms wrapped around me like I'm hugging myself or crossed across my chest...and on my stomach, hands folded underneath the side of my face)

I actually noticed this winter that my carpel tunnel was getting worse. It was being set off earlier, and taking longer for the tingles to go away after correcting the wrist position, etc.

Almost every night I start off on my side, with arms wrapped around me, and within 5 mins, my hands would be asleep and eventually I'd change positions. But last night, my hands didn't fall asleep after the normal amount of time. I mean, they eventually did, but not when they usually do. I've also noticed I'm able to put on make up without them falling asleep now.

I don't think I knew that weight could be a contributing factor to CT. I guess it makes sense. The added weight and fat is adding pressure to the carpel tunnel (A rubber band like tendon that wraps around the nerves and tendons that lead into your hands) and because of the extra weight, the symptoms I get in certain situations are being set off earlier.

It was so great last night when I realized my hands weren't asleep yet. I know it sounds silly, but it's a symptom of loosing weight

Have you noticed anything... any ailments decreasing as you continue your weight loss journey?

LR
LightRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey, me too! Awesome!

My knees can take more stairs now. My blood pressure is down and I don't have heart flutters anymore. But that's more stress related for me. Still, I'm attributing it to managing my overall health better.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #3  
J.la

Height: 5'0''

That's awesome! I havent noticed ailments improve because I dont have any weight related ailments but I have noticed my skin improve. I used to get one or two zits per week and I just thought that was normal for my skin and I lived with it. Since making the lifestyle change I haven't had any zits at all!
j0lamo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

My back has improved exponentially. I used to be in constant agony, requiring hard core muscle relaxants and painkillers to cope. Now I can bend, stand for 4 hours at a time, and work out at the gym, all with no meds, and with barely a twinge.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

...actually it is the reverse for me, losing weight has not made my fibro or connective issues any better. My doctor promised me that it would improve if I ever decided to lose weight, but sorry to say, weight loss has only benefited my self esteem and overall health, but my pains are no better
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Don't have any previous ailments but I have noticed I haven't been sick since I started eating cleaner..like not even a sneeze! It's great!
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

My TOM has become way easier!
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #8  
We'll go with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieval View Post
...actually it is the reverse for me, losing weight has not made my fibro or connective issues any better. My doctor promised me that it would improve if I ever decided to lose weight, but sorry to say, weight loss has only benefited my self esteem and overall health, but my pains are no better
Well it hasn't gotten worse though, right?

I'm sorry that you have fibro. I've heard that not only is it very painful, but many doctors poo-poo it as being in the patient's head. I do hope you have understanding doctor's that believe the condition is real!

LR
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #9  
We'll go with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonickel77 View Post
My back has improved exponentially. I used to be in constant agony, requiring hard core muscle relaxants and painkillers to cope. Now I can bend, stand for 4 hours at a time, and work out at the gym, all with no meds, and with barely a twinge.
That is truly awesome!

LR
Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #10  
We'll go with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Hey, me too! Awesome!

My knees can take more stairs now. My blood pressure is down and I don't have heart flutters anymore. But that's more stress related for me. Still, I'm attributing it to managing my overall health better.
I'm actually still waiting for those types of benefits! I have bad knees and ankles (runs in the family, not weight related, but I'm sure my weigh doesn't help) and I injured my hip last summer. It eventually healed but I aggravated it in February doing some stupid exercise move and now, it's just generally upset at me.

I can function, and I'm able to exercise again, but the hip is usually like "Really?! why in the world do all your exercise routines involve lunging or squats?!" My knees feel the same way. It's not my favorite exercise move for that reason, but I can't seem to get around it too much. My thighs love them though!

Heres to hoping my joints get happy after I lose the next 30 lbs!

LR
Old 04-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #11  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I’m going to choose a mental ailment if that’s ok!

I’m no longer a depressed, miserable wench!

40 pounds ago I hated waking up every morning in my body. The only emotion I genuinely felt was self loathing. But the minute I started eating right and exercising that all changed. It wasn’t because of the weight loss because at the time it was minimal. It was simply because I was finally doing something about it.

I’m happy again.

Oh, and I no longer feel like I need to settle for any guy that shows me attention – good or bad. For me, this is HUGE!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 04-15-2011 at 09:05 AM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

hehe...Love it ShanIam. Add me to that list!

Well, lets see. After losing 195 pounds I:

No longer have chronic back pain.
Sleep Apnea - GONE!
G.E.R.D (acid reflux disease) - GONE!
High Blood pressure - GONE!
High Cholesterol - GONE!
High Triglycerides - GONE!
Depression - GONE!
HOT and sweaty 24/7 - GONE! (I'm cold most the time now)
Cracks and painful feet - GONE!
Heavy menstrual bleeding - GONE!
Constant diarrhoea, (this was caused from alcohol I believe) - GONE!
Tired and sleepy most of the day - GONE!
Constant colds and flu - GONE! (I've only been sick 2 times in the last 3 years!)

I'm sure there are more, but these are the best for sure. All these things made me miserable and depressed and I thank God everyday that I don't suffer from preventable aliments anymore!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 04-15-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #13  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

No more heartburn for me! I used to get heartburn at almost every meal, and I had to take Tums a few times a day. I haven't had heartburn or taken a Tums in 5 weeks.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Sleep apnea is gone and my periods are shorter and lighter but I hate to say my health has been worse overall since I started losing weight even though its easier to do a lot of things. I get horribly dizzy at least once or twice a week, my heart rate has increased and my blood pressure has decreased, I get sick like once a month and i usually only get sick once or twice a year, and all sorts of foods that never bothered my stomach before are give me problems now.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #15  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

My knees and ankels don't crack when I walk anymore!!! It used to happen almost constantly when I walked.

I sleep so much better.

With the exception of the start of this year I've been sick way less then I used to be (I attribute this year to stress).

Fewer hives around my waist and beneath my breasts! I have an issue with hives where I'll get them on spots that are under pressure for long periods of time. I'd get them from, say, the waistband of my jeans being to tight, the bra that was to tight... etc. Now everything is loose! LoL!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote