Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 11:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Too much boredom eating--any hobby suggestions?

Since moving last fall, I haven't had much to do. When I moved, I had to give up the animal rescue organization I started, which was almost a full-time job. So I'm kind of bored, and when I'm bored, I eat. And I've been having a really bad eating week.

I'm curious if you guys have hobbies or things you do to combat boredom eating. I'm betting I'm not the only one with a boredom eating problem!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:57 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

so, sheila. i guess the question is: what do you like to do? there might be another animal welfare group that you could join.

or some classes at a craft store or hospital volunteering, or or or.. well, the list is actually endless
Old 05-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #3  
missaprylj

Well, there are plenty of organizations that need volunteers. I know that our local animal shelter ALWAYS needs people to walk dogs and play with kitties and stuff. Also, food shelfs, nursing homes, etc. always need a helping hand.
As far as hobbies go, reading, jigsaw puzzles are great, so are crosswords... have you ever thought about writing a book?

Old 05-10-2003, 09:43 AM   #4  

If you have land (even a small yard) you could start a garden. Fresh veggies are so delicious and good for us. I read a post (may have been on this board) about square foot gardening and although I already had 12 tomato plants and half a row of yellow squash and half a row of zukes, a row of cukes and a couple of bannna pepper plants I am going to give the square foot system a try! Looks very nice and any extra produce could be given to friends and neighbors or a food bank. Or you could fill up your freezer with fresh produce for the winter months. That'll keep you busy!

Here's the link if you are interested:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
Old 05-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #5  

I'm gonna laugh at the idea of the square foot gardening because I myself was lazy this year and planted my garden in windowboxes which i sat on top of my shed.....lol
Old 05-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #6  

Inca's Momma, that sounds like an good idea. No tilling or weeding but lots of produce! Using the soil mixture that this guy suggests is suppose to only need 6 inches of soil! We'll see. Good luck with your highrise window box goarden. I bet it is interesting to see. What did you plant?
Old 05-10-2003, 11:24 AM   #7  

I went the little route, 2 cherry tomato plants, a green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and red bell pepper
Old 05-10-2003, 12:11 PM   #8  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I do counted cross-stitch. It's easy and fairly inexpensive as far as crafts go. Besides, they make great Christmas gifs. (Frame them yourself - frame shops are just too dang expensive!)
Old 05-10-2003, 12:23 PM   #9  

Jennelle, I used to do that but I get headaches now. LOL, age, I guess. They do make wonderful gifts! So much effirt goes into them that is is really a gift of love. I have to agree though that if you don't frame them yourself it can get VERY expensive.

Inca's Momma, I have 6 Better Boys and 6 Beefsteak. I like those one slicers. The ones big enough that one slice fills a whole sandwich. I would like to plant some grape tomatos though. I love those in salads. I think I'll do more squash and bell peppers too. They freeze so well. We'll see. Well, happy gardening! And thanks to the person who originally mentioned square foot gardening. I believe it was someone on this board.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

dana, angi, and i will all tell you -- SCRAPBOOKING!!

you keep your hands busy, and you end up with wonderful ways to keep and display your photos. just make sure there are no snacks nearby (i have a serious pretzel habit.)
Old 05-10-2003, 03:01 PM   #11  

If you like sewing, you could always learn how to quilt. I'm actually going to be taking some classes soon. You'll take up plenty of time searching for the right patterns and then stitching them together by hand or a machine. And then there will be something that you could, 1) give as a gift, 2) pass down to people, or 3) you could even try to sell them at craft fairs.

Just a suggestion.

Other than that I don't have very many hobbies.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone. I had forgotten that on my list of things to do was make baby quilts for grandchildren. I have one granddaughter, and another grandchild was planned for this year, but my son was laid off so that plan's on hold. But since it takes me forever to do anything, I should probably start now for any future grandchildren!

Also, today I took a dog walking class at the nearest animal shelter so I can volunteer there. Unfortunately, the nearest animal shelter is about an hour's bus ride away, or I have to go there at a time when my DH can drive me. Having such limited driving abilities anymore is such a bummer! But I'm going to try the bus because I really would like to get started working with animals again.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #13  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Sex is my favorite hobby.

Besides sex? My favorite distractions are painting my fingernails (so I can't eat), painting my toenails (so I can't go get the food). I also enjoy writing a great deal and doing all sorts of all projects.
Closed Thread