Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #1  

Default A lady from the S.P. board has given me the strength to keep exercising.

She seems like a really sweet lady who lost and then gained back a lot of weight due to physical illness. She is on oxygen all the time has has (I think it is called) COPD some kind of cronic lung disease. She wrote a very moving post about how she was going to start to move and get better oxygen than she ever could from a "bottle". Something about her post moved me. Everytime I want to give in and quit a few minutes early or not even begin, I think of her. If she can make an effort with her health problems I can at least do the same thing. Some of usehave a lot to be grateful for in that we may be unfit but we have no health issues standing in the way of us reaching our goals. Here's my wish. That we all reach our goals. And thank you to Belinda Gail. Her determination makes me want to try harder!

Last edited by karefree2; 05-09-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:54 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

great post, karefree!! and my heart goes out to that lady. i was also bedridden and on oxygen for awhile. and my 'exercise' at first was taking 10 deep breaths every 20 minutes. and then i progressed literally a few steps at a time. 10, then 20, then 40. all the time dragging the oxygen tank.

and now, no oxygen. and i'm swimming a half mile or riding the bike to nowhere for 15 miles. and walking and climbing stairs and everything!!!!

SO, whatever you need to get motivated... there are a couple of ladies at the gym who i admire greatly. one is a 90 year old woman who hobbles up the stairs with her walker, and then hobbles down to the pool and to do her weight training.

and the 30-something year old woman in a wheelchair who literally crawls up the stairs on her hands and knees, and when she gets to the top, she kneels on her skateboard and zooms around using her hands. she puts her knees on the gazelle thing, and off she goes. and then she crawls downstairs, and gets into the pool and swims a mile!!!

i figure if she can do that, i can do those damn bicep curls!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:30 AM   #3  
missaprylj

What amazing people... it really makes me feel sheepish for ever saying "eh, I don't feel like it" or "eh... not today...."

Old 05-10-2003, 09:02 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

gotta post a brag here.. just because i've come so very far...

last night, i did 200 pounds on the leg press!!! can you believe it???? last october/november, when i started PT, i could do a whole 40 pounds!!

and last night... a set of 15 at 200 pounds!!!! i'm stunned!!!!!

and taking the goofy dog for a hike... uphill.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:32 AM   #5  

Way to go , Jiffypop! 200 pounds IS amazing!
Old 05-10-2003, 10:51 AM   #6  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Wow, you guys ROCK!

How inspirational that is. These courageous ladies may not even realize how many people they are inspiring that they don't even know.

Thanks for sharing their stories!!!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

200 lbs.! Holy cow! I think I can do 110, but even that would be pushing it.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:52 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

That is really something to think about. There are so many times that I think we take our health for granted. We give excuses like, I'm too tired to work out today. We don't stop to think how we'd feel if we were unable to work out due to our health.

Great post Karefree!
Closed Thread