Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #1  
~*Regina*~

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Cramp in foot

Didn't know where else to put this, sorry :P.

I have been walking almost everyday, sometimes even twice a day. I am having a problem with the top of my foot cramping up and it doesn't go away until about 2-3 hours later. Does anyone else have this sort of problem, is there anything I can do to stop the pain? I try stretching my foot, I even put pressure on it.

Thank you!
BlueEyes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #2  
Slow and sure chick

I get foot cramping too. What helps for me is eating something high in potassium - potatoes with skin on, banana, OJ
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I'd probably post this in the exercise forum. There are some really knowledgable peeps there that have probably experienced cramping at one time or another. But I do agree that potassium helps!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #4  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Simple thing to try / check.

Make sure you're wearing the right size sneakers and that they're not tied too tight.

That used to happen to me with my right foot. Turns out my sneakers were a half size too small and I had them laced way too tight.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

You can also purchase a foam roller that runners and others use for leg cramps and massages. They are inexpensive and you can purchase them online or at most sporting good stores. Use the roller before and after walking. It has worked wonders for me.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 AM   #6  

You can try drinking a large glass of water after exercize, but what works even better is a large glass of whole milk.
Not processed milk, like skim or 2%...drink only Whole milk.
There are enzymes and minerals in the butterfat of whole milk that prevent muscle spasms in young calves. They grow rapidly and their mommas milk helps to prevent muscle spasms in their legs. This also works for humans.

If you have switched from whole milk to skim milk to lose weight, that can be your problem. After a few weeks you can start to get muscle spasms, TMJ, and carpel tunnel and tarsel tunnel. You might have deprived your nerves of the trace minerals found in the butterfat of fresh whole milk that prevent muscle spasms.

If you have developed nerve damage from a deficiency of the trace minerals, you might have to drink a quart of whole milk every day for a few months to restore your nerves to a healthy state. It's best to cut calories by removing junk foods and pastries from the diet. Switching from whole milk to skim milks is not a good choice when it comes to your health.

Here is a study on Whole Milk:

J Am Diet Assoc. 1987 Aug;87(8):1036-42.

Mineral content of market samples of fluid whole milk.
Pennington JA, Wilson DB, Young BE, Johnson RD, Vanderveen JE.

Abstract
Results from the Food and Drug Administration's Total Diet Study on the nutrient element content of fluid whole cow's milk are presented and compared with previously published values. Whole milk was collected and analyzed yearly from 1975 through 1985. Yearly and overall means were similar for all elements except iron and iodine.
The iron content of milk was generally low, but several samples had high levels. The distribution of iodine in whole milk was quite wide (0.002 to 0.094 mg/100 gm). The iodine content of milk is affected by the level of iodine added to cattle feed and by the use of iodophor sanitizing solutions used by the dairy industry.
Overall mean levels of the elements in milligrams per 100 gm whole milk were: sodium, 42; potassium, 134; calcium, 106; phosphorus, 83; magnesium, 9.8; iron, 0.07; zinc, 0.37; copper, 0.009; manganese, 0.004; iodine, 0.034; and selenium, 0.001.
Coefficients of variation were high (67% to 117%) for iron, copper, manganese, selenium, and iodine but ranged from 18% to 26% for the other elements.
An 8-fl oz serving of whole milk is an excellent source of iodine, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. It also provides some sodium, magnesium, zinc, and selenium but is not a reliable source of iron, copper, or manganese.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3611549
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #7  
~*Regina*~

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/150

Thanks for all the reply's!

Jolina - I have been drinking fat free milk since I was a kid because whole milk make me sick, but thank you!

milmin2043 - I will go out tonight and see what I can find. My foot cramps have only started about a week or so ago from walking.

LisaP916 - My shoes are the right fit but I will try loosening the laces and see if that helps.
BlueEyes83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

i was also going to suggest salt and potassium!
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote