Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Do you find that you are less clumsy or more coordinated at lighter weights?

Hi All,

I just rolled my ankle again yesterday, grrr. It's not too bad this time, and I should be back to normal within 3-5 days. But, I do this kind of thing all the time. I am particularly prone to ankle injuries following a really, really bad sprain about 18 months ago. So, all in all, I am glad that it's not worse. I'll try to think of exercise that I can do over the next week that will be kind to my ankle (any suggestions?)...

But, it got me wondering... I fall a lot more often than the average person. It's kind of a running joke in my family and among my friends. I am just not always aware of my body, and often this results in bumps, scrapes, and falls.

Could this be weight related? I have always been heavy, and I have recently began to question if this might improve as I continue to lose weight. What has been your experience?

Am I doomed to a life of clumsiness? Or is this another reason to be motivated?
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

Be motivated! I was freakishly clumsy at my higher weights. It wasn't just the weight loss, though. I attribute my new-found gracefulness (well, maybe we won't go that far... ) to lots of weight lifting and core exercises.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I was so extremely clumsy wait who am I kidding? I still am! I carry band aids and triple antibiotic around in my purse because im so clumsy! Hopefully with time and weight loss that will go away!
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I'm actually A LOT more clumsy now. Picture a baby deer that was just born. I'm not sure why I'm so clumsy, but I've always been that way. And to top it off, add forgetfullness to that. HOWEVER, I can rock a pair of 4'' heels without a problem!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'6"

At my skinniest (child/teen/early 20's), I was the most clumsy person I knew! At my heaviest, I was the least clumsy person I knew! I think I was really scared to fall when I was heavier because I would hit harder Now I'm not quite as clumsy as I use to be (knock on wood), but I'm not as careful it seems either lol. I'm just happy that I haven't need stitches in a few years or got any more broken bones
Crystalx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I don't think it's necessarily weight related. I've been extremely clumsy my whole life and I've only been obese, basically, the last 2 years.

If you do want to work on your clumsiness try a sport that works on your hand-eye coordination like tennis, soccer, basketball etc. Granted, I did sports for years and was still clumsy but I'm sure I would've been much worse without them!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/174/155

i'm pretty certain i'll always be clumsy regardless of my weight
mel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/186.3/not sure yet

Height: 5' 5.5"

Lol... Love the responses. I'm glad some of you can relate!

My guess is that my clumsiness is here to stay. But, a girl can dream! I like the idea of the hand/eye coordination sports -- have never been good at them, but maybe I could improve that way. Otherwise, I'll just keep a supply of bandaids, ace bandages, ice packs, and good humor on hand.
hope4balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sometimes I'm just as clumsy as I used to be.

With me, it's my brain that makes me clumsy.

For years, I thought of myself as fat & ungainly & with no athletic ability whatsoever, and it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. I carried myself through the world very self-consciously. I think the clumsiness has abated somewhat as I've acquired more of a feeling of physical competence. I don't feel vaguely apologetic & I'm not always cringing.

Yoga taught me in particular that balance is as much mental as physical. Balance requires confidence. When I had to do balancing poses, my success or failure in them seemed connected to my mental equilibrium as much as my physical set-up. It turns out that an anxious, preoccupied or self-judging Saef falls over on one side a lot.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamvixen View Post
I'm actually A LOT more clumsy now. Picture a baby deer that was just born. I'm not sure why I'm so clumsy, but I've always been that way. And to top it off, add forgetfullness to that. HOWEVER, I can rock a pair of 4'' heels without a problem!
Uh, yeah...before you mentioned the heels I was going to suggest laying off the 4" heels. That could certainly make a person clumsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope4balance View Post
Lol... Love the responses. I'm glad some of you can relate!

My guess is that my clumsiness is here to stay. But, a girl can dream! I like the idea of the hand/eye coordination sports -- have never been good at them, but maybe I could improve that way. Otherwise, I'll just keep a supply of bandaids, ace bandages, ice packs, and good humor on hand.
I have recently been surprised by how much more graceful I am. I wouldn't say I was every really clumsy, but I also wasn't likely to put myself in a position where I might appear clumsy. I avoided sitting on the floor so I didn't topple over getting up, or I wouldn't jump down a few stairs or jump off anything. Jumping was painful. Now I get up from a seated position with ease and I often overestimate the amount of strength it will take. You know when you go to lift a huge box and you put all your strength into it only to find it's empty? That's how I lift my body most of the time.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #11  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Balance also requires certain dopamine levels....alas, most of mine is gone. Skinny, fat, it hasn't made much difference for me. I've always been kinda clumsy, so when I was diagnosed and the docs asked me about falls, it was like "well, nothing new or unusual".

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's at 35 has taught me that there are indeed worse things than being clumsy. I am definitely clumsy, but I have learned to see the humor in it. My kids have hours of stories about some of the "Benny Hill" skits I have pulled off with ease. It has made life interesting.

When life gives you lemons, make Mike's Hard Lemonade and get on with it.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #12  

Without reading all posts...in weight training, it's particularly important to "train to train". In other words, you have to get your supporting ligaments and tendons in shape since usually, muscles are stronger than they are. Do stuff like bosu ball, stability ball and one legged "stuff" as well as dumbbell and free weights to improve your ligament strength.

Genetics play a role. If you are prone to ankle rolls, you may always be so make sure you challenge your supporting tissues with each work out.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

I know my balance and agility is much better then 85 pounds ago... not to mention a ton of other things!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

For a while, my clumsiness got worse (I was used to carrying around nearly 300 lbs, and had been bigger since childhood). But then it did get better, after I'd adjusted to my new shape/frame, and I'm assuming that my exercise had something to do with it. So, both!

I still am clumsy, though, just less so. Or maybe even I am just less likely to get real injuries from my clumsiness (less weight to fall on a wrist, for example, if I tripped, or my strong core helps me catch myself when I trip before I fall, etc).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

My ankles are so bad I have to constantly worry about rolling them doing simple tasks like carrying groceries up to the porch. They don't get better in a few days either, it takes weeks or even months. I've always been this way, since I was a kid. I wasn't overweight either. Over a year ago an elderly woman ran over my ankle with her electric wheel chair not too long after I had sprained it. It still feels weird.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote