Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #1  
Sheila E.

S/C/G: 174.8/141.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Arrow IP Daily Chat - Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Welcome and welcome back to the Daily Chat thread -- introduce yourself, post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-Scale Victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff

Tickers and signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have
  • been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days
  • AND
  • posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum.
When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread
for more information and instructions.

Search: If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. More information is here in this Search tip using Google

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Other helpful links

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

PDF file of Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You

To read about the big losses, NSVs, and inspiring stories you missed yesterday: IP Daily Chat - 4 April 2011
Old 04-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/157/140

Height: 5"4

I'm reposting this cause I'm working nightshift so it was a very late post at the end of the weekend thread......I have a question for the Canadians on here.......My sister and I are both on IP and my dad hearing the results we are having wants to join (and needs to very badly) The problem he's in Cape Breton Nova Scotia and I've been looking online and cant find a center there....I know he could order/we could send him the products but I think he really needs the accountability factor......does anyone know of a place in Cape Breton that does the program.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #3  

Good morning friends,
I think I am getting past my *carb* cravings! Finally, it took me 3 weeks. I am going to keep plugging away. I wish I could lose weight as fast as I have gained it! All of you on here keep my spirits up and my will power going. Thanks. Everyone have a great day.....
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/157/140

Height: 5"4

I just ordered Miricle noodles and im very excited to try them....really hoping they taste good.....there was a recipe on the website for vietimese soup im really looking forward to trying......just about to head home from work....only one more nightshift then off for 7 cant wait!!! Weigh in on Wed here's hoping for a decent number ....nightshifts usually give me lower numbers....dont know why....Have a good day everyone!!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #5  

Thank you all for your encouraging words yesterday. I am not getting enough oil I think I will try to make the oil and white vin dressing and put on my salad.

Walking so be okay to do everyday right? Not to much exercise, it is I have two little boys and we go for a walk every morning and evening to the park it is only a 20min walk in total.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #6  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Good Morning my fellow IP troopers! Here is to another 100% day. Seems like a lot of us are having stressful times in our lives, be it personal, emotional, work or family related. Stay focused and stay on protocol, I know it may be hard, but being overweight is hard on us too. Do this plan for yourself and yourself only. Compliments will come with time, people will notice. I am 60+ into this journey and some people are just now saying, wow you have lost weight. WE CAN DO THIS!

I had a dr. appt yesterday and they were amazed with my weightloss. I guess he did not think I would do this well with IP. I even told him that I no longer go to the clinic or use IP products. He was happy with everything I was doing. I then asked him what I should get down to, he when right to the spinny wheel of death, (that is what I call it). It is the BMI calculator for the average person. He again told me around 180#. He said I needed to get to a BMI of 25 or less to live the healthiest and longest. My goal was 200. 200 puts me at a BMI of 27-28 which still says overweight. He said I could do that but still threw in there that if I wanted to be healthy and live the longest I needed to be 25 or less. GRRRR

14 years ago I was an athelete, muscular and 13% body fat and I weighed 200+. I would cut weight to 189# for wrestling and then get back to 220's for football. I had to work extremely hard to maintain 189#'s. It was crazy hard to stay there. I do not see how I can comfortably maintain below 200#'s.

I want to be healthy and live the longest, but I just do not see another 40#'s on me that I have to lose. I was a bit frustrated with him. Him and I are close to the same height and we clearly have different body structure. I said so you are telling me that I need to look like you? I should just be average and then I will be ok? All men at 5'11" should look the same? I told him that my muscle mass was clearly much more than his, my wrist is clearly larger around than his leading towards a larger bone structure than him. **** we even wear almost the same pant size. He is a 34 and I am 36. I just dont get it.

Sorry for my venting. This really is my first time venting to the group. I think I am still just going to stick with my 200 lb goal and see what I am like when I get there.

Have a great day ALL!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
I had a dr. appt yesterday and they were amazed with my weightloss. I guess he did not think I would do this well with IP. I even told him that I no longer go to the clinic or use IP products. He was happy with everything I was doing. I then asked him what I should get down to, he when right to the spinny wheel of death, (that is what I call it). It is the BMI calculator for the average person. He again told me around 180#. He said I needed to get to a BMI of 25 or less to live the healthiest and longest. My goal was 200. 200 puts me at a BMI of 27-28 which still says overweight. He said I could do that but still threw in there that if I wanted to be healthy and live the longest I needed to be 25 or less. GRRRR

14 years ago I was an athelete, muscular and 13% body fat and I weighed 200+. I would cut weight to 189# for wrestling and then get back to 220's for football. I had to work extremely hard to maintain 189#'s. It was crazy hard to stay there. I do not see how I can comfortably maintain below 200#'s.

I want to be healthy and live the longest, but I just do not see another 40#'s on me that I have to lose. I was a bit frustrated with him. Him and I are close to the same height and we clearly have different body structure. I said so you are telling me that I need to look like you? I should just be average and then I will be ok? All men at 5'11" should look the same? I told him that my muscle mass was clearly much more than his, my wrist is clearly larger around than his leading towards a larger bone structure than him. **** we even wear almost the same pant size. He is a 34 and I am 36. I just dont get it.

Sorry for my venting. This really is my first time venting to the group. I think I am still just going to stick with my 200 lb goal and see what I am like when I get there.
No worries, we're all allowed to vent once in a while. It's necessary for sanity!!

Anyway. The thing about BMI is it isn't JUST about the height/weight ratio. You can have two 5'11" guys, 200#, one will have a BMI of 28%, the other can be 20%. It's definitely better, as your doctor said, to be under 25%, but what surprises me is he's using the calculator for the "average person" rather than an actual BMI measure.

Does your doctor have one of those electrical BMI measures? The ones that you hold in both hands for a few seconds and it tells you how much of you is fat and lean mass? Even the ones that look like scales that you have to stand on. They have them at the YMCA. I would definitely look into this. It's more accurate for individuals, and you never know, you could already be under 25%!

Then print the results out and take them to your doc.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I wanted to send an extra to Sugadiva today! Stay strong!

Quote:
Good Morning my fellow IP troopers! Here is to another 100% day. Seems like a lot of us are having stressful times in our lives, be it personal, emotional, work or family related. Stay focused and stay on protocol, I know it may be hard, but being overweight is hard on us too. Do this plan for yourself and yourself only. Compliments will come with time, people will notice. I am 60+ into this journey and some people are just now saying, wow you have lost weight. WE CAN DO THIS!

Have a great day ALL!
Isn't venting part of what this board is for?

In this particular case, I think you probably have a better idea of what is healthy for you than your doctor does!

You raise a good point about the BMI not taking into consideration different body frames (small, medium and large) and the fact that I am sure that there are always bound to be some exceptions (like really athletic people who have more muscle mass, which we all know by now weighs more). Not everyone can be "average", it doesn't necessarily put you at death's door to be different!

I would say to just go for your original goal and you can always re-evaluate things once you've been there for a while, should you decide that you want/need to. I think there is more than just BMI that comes into play when evaluating health and fitness (blood test results, cardiovascular endurance, blood pressure, general well-being, etc.) but I am not a medical professional so take what I say with a grain of salt please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMM Girl View Post
I'm reposting this cause I'm working nightshift so it was a very late post at the end of the weekend thread......I have a question for the Canadians on here.......My sister and I are both on IP and my dad hearing the results we are having wants to join (and needs to very badly) The problem he's in Cape Breton Nova Scotia and I've been looking online and cant find a center there....I know he could order/we could send him the products but I think he really needs the accountability factor......does anyone know of a place in Cape Breton that does the program.
I don't know of anywhere in Cape Breton, I am sorry, but it looks like you may have stumbled upon a possible business opportunity for him if he can reach his goal and then help others! Good luck to your dad!

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 04-05-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

Default Checking in......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugadiva View Post
Ok so I've been on the forum looking for inspiration and encouraging other people because I've been having a tough day. Sorry for too much information, I just needed to vent somewhere and my family has heard it all ENOUGH.

What's up all you emotional eaters? Does it get easier when you go through crisis or sad times? Do you ever stop wanting to turn immediately to bad for you food for comfort??
I appreciate your sharing the info--and it was NOT TMI----that is a highly anxiety provoking experience----and a divorce, too? GOOD GRIEF!!! No wonder you want to dive into food!!

***NOTE--this next part is about MY experience---it may not even apply to you or be helpful to you, but this is how it was for me, and my experience is all i have to offer......***

In my history as an emotional eater, I had various experts tell me "go for a walk", "take a bubble bath"...blah blah blah. They DIDN"T GET IT. For emotional eaters, it is like people who abuse alcohol or drugs--- you want to GET HIGH---that excitement when you are buying your treats....the anticipation on the drive home.....sitting and eating them...blissfully pushing aside all of the worry...eating and eating til their is just utter fullness and numbness.... How the **** do you replace all of that with a *$&%(# bubble bath?????

Endorphins are at play, seritonin is involved--your body's chemistry works against you ---it is no wonder you want to stress eat. I commend you for not having done so already, but I have to be honest---willpower will only get you so far. When you want to eat because you are feeling anxious or sad or angry or out of control it is because you hear a voice in your head that says "This is too painful!! I can't take it anymore!!!" "I NEEEEED a mental vacation!!!" And you know food will do the trick. I am going to offer a suggestion---you may not like it or think it is hokey, but here it is.......talk to that part of yourself that is feeling broken. Let her know that things are really scary right now, but you are there for her. Let her know you hear her suffering. If you are a person of faith, pray/offer loving thoughts to that wounded, hurting part of yourself. That part of you wants LOVE. It wants perfect, peaceful, anxiety and fear-killing love. Food is a lousy substitute---it is not love. As you ask, envision pure, white light coming down through your head, enveloping your heart and "hugging" that part of you that needs it.

Some of ya'll are probably going to think I am a complete whacko---but this is something that has worked for me.

Also, continue to reach out to friends or family---maybe find a VERY supportive friend, make a verbal commitment that you do not want to eat for comfort and then call that person when you are feeling the urge to do so. Have a conversation with them about why you want to do it, and about how you are feeling.

You are going through so much. May peace and love be at the center of your heart---You will be in my prayers.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #10  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjslilmommie View Post
Thank you all for your encouraging words yesterday. I am not getting enough oil I think I will try to make the oil and white vin dressing and put on my salad.

Walking so be okay to do everyday right? Not to much exercise, it is I have two little boys and we go for a walk every morning and evening to the park it is only a 20min walk in total.
I walk every day with my dogs, that isn't too much exercise. I usually do about 1 hour a day and on weekends 2 or 3...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
I had a dr. appt yesterday and they were amazed with my weightloss. I guess he did not think I would do this well with IP. I even told him that I no longer go to the clinic or use IP products. He was happy with everything I was doing. I then asked him what I should get down to, he when right to the spinny wheel of death, (that is what I call it). It is the BMI calculator for the average person. He again told me around 180#. He said I needed to get to a BMI of 25 or less to live the healthiest and longest. My goal was 200. 200 puts me at a BMI of 27-28 which still says overweight. He said I could do that but still threw in there that if I wanted to be healthy and live the longest I needed to be 25 or less. GRR!

My 2 cents. Screw the wheel of death. Choose your goal. Go for it and tell doc to talk to the hand!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/192/150

Height: 5'9"

WI#3 this morning and I am down another 4 pounds!! That's 12 lbs in 3 weeks and 6 inches. I am so excited! Next week I hope to drop into the 18X's on the home scale (coach's scale reads 2 lbs heavier). Woot woot! Here's to a 100% day and a 100% week to all!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #13  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

Have a great day ALL!
Juice I think you are the best one to decide what you and your body can and can't do. Keep to your goal and then if you feel you can lose more than do it but if you can't maintain it, you will be struggling again. I think you should go with what makes you feel happy and right. Have a good week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
I appreciate your sharing the info--and it was NOT TMI----that is a highly anxiety provoking experience----and a divorce, too? GOOD GRIEF!!! No wonder you want to dive into food!!

***NOTE--this next part is about MY experience---it may not even apply to you or be helpful to you, but this is how it was for me, and my experience is all i have to offer......***

In my history as an emotional eater, I had various experts tell me "go for a walk", "take a bubble bath"...blah blah blah. They DIDN"T GET IT. For emotional eaters, it is like people who abuse alcohol or drugs--- you want to GET HIGH---that excitement when you are buying your treats....the anticipation on the drive home.....sitting and eating them...blissfully pushing aside all of the worry...eating and eating til their is just utter fullness and numbness.... How the **** do you replace all of that with a *$&%(# bubble bath?????

Endorphins are at play, seritonin is involved--your body's chemistry works against you ---it is no wonder you want to stress eat. I commend you for not having done so already, but I have to be honest---willpower will only get you so far. When you want to eat because you are feeling anxious or sad or angry or out of control it is because you hear a voice in your head that says "This is too painful!! I can't take it anymore!!!" "I NEEEEED a mental vacation!!!" And you know food will do the trick. I am going to offer a suggestion---you may not like it or think it is hokey, but here it is.......talk to that part of yourself that is feeling broken. Let her know that things are really scary right now, but you are there for her. Let her know you hear her suffering. If you are a person of faith, pray/offer loving thoughts to that wounded, hurting part of yourself. That part of you wants LOVE. It wants perfect, peaceful, anxiety and fear-killing love. Food is a lousy substitute---it is not love. As you ask, envision pure, white light coming down through your head, enveloping your heart and "hugging" that part of you that needs it.

Some of ya'll are probably going to think I am a complete whacko---but this is something that has worked for me.

Also, continue to reach out to friends or family---maybe find a VERY supportive friend, make a verbal commitment that you do not want to eat for comfort and then call that person when you are feeling the urge to do so. Have a conversation with them about why you want to do it, and about how you are feeling.

You are going through so much. May peace and love be at the center of your heart---You will be in my prayers.
Well said Tate.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 246/214/150

Height: 5'7"

To 2riderollercoast. Would you tell me how you add the vinegar to the kale chips? Do you mix it with evoo and drizzle over them and then bake? Plain they kinda taste like I am eating crunchy tissue paper.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/tkr/125 (IP since 3/20/11)

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
I am going to offer a suggestion---you may not like it or think it is hokey, but here it is.......talk to that part of yourself that is feeling broken. Let her know that things are really scary right now, but you are there for her. Let her know you hear her suffering. If you are a person of faith, pray/offer loving thoughts to that wounded, hurting part of yourself. That part of you wants LOVE. It wants perfect, peaceful, anxiety and fear-killing love. Food is a lousy substitute---it is not love. As you ask, envision pure, white light coming down through your head, enveloping your heart and "hugging" that part of you that needs it.

Tate, you are definitely not a complete wacko. I've actually had a lot of anxiety and PTSD issues, and this is the very thing that helps me. We are so accustomed to beating ourselves up, breaking ourselves down, disciplining and parenting ourselves, when what we need is to comfort ourselves, give ourselves a mental hug, and cheer ourselves on.

There are so many things that stress us out and overwhelm us. And it's totally OKAY to be stressed, upset, tempted, angry, etc. When we tell ourselves it's ok, then we can embrace and comfort ourselves and get through the hard times.

Best of luck, Sugadiva, my thoughts and prayers are with you!!!
Closed Thread