Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Need encouragement from runners

I just started running and I know logically that it'll get easier and I'll be able to go longer eventually. But right now that just seems impossible, I can barely jog 1/2 a small residential block before i need to walk to breathe. my goal is to get into the air force and I cant join unless i know that i can run 1.5 miles in 14 mins or less... 10:55 for honors, and I really want honors... but right now it seems like i might as well flush that all away.

any stories and/or encouragement from you chickies that started out where I am and can go a mile or two or more now would really be welcome and SOOOOOO much help right now.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #2  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

Have you tried the Couch-To-5K program? It's really great!
And you know what I just developed my own after a while, because I couldn't handle timing 60 seconds,90 seconds etc for 20 minutes (i don't have an interval timer). So I started by jogging a half-block, walking a half-block, jogging a half-block, etc. Actually when I first started it was running from one telephone pole to the next, walking to the next one, then running to the next one, etc. So that tells you what my endurance was like.

My run is 2.6 KM and it used to take me over a half hour to jog/walk it. Now I'm done in 17 minutes, just about. My goal is to go up to 10 minutes which would mean I'd have to run the whole thing without walking, and I'm still a ways away from that but I'm hoping to be able to do it by the summer!

The trick is to take it slow, your heart is not used to it right now, but as long as you push yourself to your limit every time you run, and run a few times a week, you'll get stronger and better and soon you'll be able to run your 1.5 miles! Good luck!
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Hey! I started running about four weeks ago, and though sometimes it seems like slow going, it has actually been steadily improving for me in a way that I think is very impressive. My goal is to be able to run all the way to a nearby store, a little less than a mile away and back without resting. Omg, first day, it seemed impossible. I honestly, just jogged until it became just shy of unbearable. Then, I took a breather for as long as I needed and continued. Each day, ( I run every other day) I would try and move the landmark I make my first stop at up a little. First, it was barely a few hundred feet away. Now, I can run almost the whole way there and the entire way back with only one break in between. It's not impossible, you just have to take it slow. I am shorter, and I weigh more than you, and for the kicker, I smoke (I know, yuck, I will be quitting soon). I know that you can do this. It's important to push yourself, but not so hard you're bound and determined to give up. I am also NOT very fast at all. Even at my best speed, I make the whole 1.5-2 mile journey in 17 mins. But, I'm still improving and you can too.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 04-02-2011 at 11:09 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/158/145

Height: 5'7

Walk, Run, Walk, Run, Walk...etc and then make sure to stretch (gently) at the end. GRADUALLY increase your time and distance. Your body will adapt and get stronger, but it takes time. Don't overdo in the beginning or you'll injure yourself and have to start over again.

If you can afford it, get a heart rate monitor watch - it will keep you from overdoing and you can monitor your progress. Go to a real running store and get fitted for good shoes - they're the most important piece of equipment for anyone who runs.

Patience, you can't rush it.
Alenna 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #5  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenna 52 View Post
Walk, Run, Walk, Run, Walk...etc and then make sure to stretch (gently) at the end. GRADUALLY increase your time and distance. Your body will adapt and get stronger, but it takes time. Don't overdo in the beginning or you'll injure yourself and have to start over again.

If you can afford it, get a heart rate monitor watch - it will keep you from overdoing and you can monitor your progress. Go to a real running store and get fitted for good shoes - they're the most important piece of equipment for anyone who runs.

Patience, you can't rush it.

I agree with everything Alenna said here.
I started at 235, 10 months ago. Not running, just riding a recumbent bike and sweating like crazy on it for 15 mins. at a time. It seemed that my aerobic capability was zero. Seriously.

Last Sunday I ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) in 2:18. I ran the entire time without stopping. I'm 47. No young chickypoo. Seriously, some times I feel that if I can do this, anyone can, and I mean ANYONE.

Start out slowly, take your time and build up stamina and strength. Walk as much as you need to, but make sure to push yourself a little every day. You will be amazed at what you are capable of doing. Let your mind take over when you're tired. Don't allow yourself to give up.

Good luck! You can do this!!
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #6  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

what everyone else has said.

And try to regulate your breathing, so in for two steps or 3 steps and out for two or 3 steps whatever you think you can tolerate! And try to breathe out the same or longer than you breathe in for.

Takes a while to get used to, but keeping breathing is good................!!!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

thank you all so much, it really helps hearing from people who have already done it.

ive been using the elliptical for months already, i knew it was different in terms of how the muscles are used but i wasnt expecting it to be quite so different. I've been wearing my tennis shoes... actual tennis shoes not the general athletic shoes people call tennis shoes, i do want to go buy running shoes from a store where they give me the proper fit but it just isnt in my budget at the moment.

ive been doing the 2-3 steps breathing in with 3 steps usually for out, glad to hear i've been doing that correctly

congratulations milmin2043 that is awesome about the half marathon!

to anyone else reading this, keep the stories coming, im bookmarking this thread to come back to when i'm feeling like i cant do it and reading them really helps!
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #8  

Breating rate increases seem to really affect the mind. Concentrate on slow breathing in thru the nose and out thru the mouth. Know that at the start, your breathing will be every few steps. Eventually during your run, you will be breathing every single step. After some time, you will be able to predict when the breathing rate increases. Personally, when I notice my rate increase, I take a huge in thru the nose breath, release it slowly, then get used to the new breathing pace.

Over time, I began to look forward to an increased breathing rate as I know that at that time, my time on the pavement (or treadmill) is really counting and I am increasing my cardiovascular fitness with each step!

Also, please give yourself credit for running the distance that you can! Sometimes I run with ten pound dumbbells in each hand and I cannot believe how much harder it is! Your body is carrying weight that most runners aren't. You're like superwoman to be strong to run like you do! Keep going! You'll be great! You already are.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/127/120

Height: 5'3

If you've got an IPOD or MP3 player you should try to run through one song, walk the next, run through one song, walk the next. Then if you run through a short song, you can challenge yourself to run through the next song as well. You'll feel your endurance getting stronger and can eventually challenge yourself to run further.
blindcantaloup is offline   Reply With Quote