General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Ideal weight is 143-163

Height: 5'7

Default Water fasting? is this safe?

I saw some videos on youtube about people that have done 7, 10, even 30 day water fasting! it looks like they have lost weight, but is this safe?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

They lose weight yes, but they lose muscle and water as well..and afterward, its possible to gain a lot more back plus what you lost. Its not a soloution to permanent weight loss. Its usually used in a more spiritual sense.. Also, have you ever attempted to go that long without food? Ive gone 23 days without food..just water.. i attempted this water fasting thing..and it was very very difficult, and under those circumstances, the ability to keep your normal routine is very hard. You are very fatigued, very irritable, you crave everything, you feel sick, you have a hard time going to the bathroom, you feel dizzy and lightheaded and you feel very tired..Its not the type of lifestyle you want .. and as i said, that weight you lose off the scale, is water and muscle as well as fat..and the ability to maintain that loss after that fast, is really really difficult..cause everything you eat after that fast, your body holds onto..If your going to consider some kind of fast, i suggest you try something like the Master Cleanse. Type it into google...you will get the downlow on it and how to do it..its much more tolerable by the body..
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #3  

I haven't done the water fasts, but I've gone with nothing but protein shakes/Atkins shakes for a couple of months with no problems. The thing is, after doing this you can't just start eating anything and everything in sight. You have to stay with your counting calories or in my case, low carb plan. Yes, if you go back to doughnuts and pizza you will gain it all back, and more, but I did fine as long as I went back to my eggs and tuna, green veggies, etc.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #4  

P.S. Also, for me, no problems with headaches or dizziness or feeling ill or sick. Actually, I felt energetic and lost and have kept the weight off...but like I said, after doing this you must go straight back to your weight loss plan and not back to whatever you were eating to gain weight in the first place. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Is it safe really depends on your definition of safe. Is it healthy? No. We don't support drastic measures such as water fasting or extreme fasting here as they are not the way to sustainable weight loss.
Closed Thread