Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Default My ferrets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRrcxHsuTg

Hi, all. As my username suggests, I love ferrets, and have four. Here they are playing in the bathroom. They're so fun, and I love watching them and playing with them.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Thanks for sharing! How fun - do you end up rolling on the floor laughing at them with their antics? They look like they're just built for FUN and to romp around.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #3  

I do, because they're always making me laugh. They're hearty players and love to play rough, but are gentle with me. They especially love being 'swept' lightly across the floor with the broom. The dooking (happy sounds) that ensues is crazy. They're also built for trouble, which is why they have to have a pretty safe play area. Gods, the stuff they get into; but you can't help but laugh. They really are my depression meds. ^_^
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

SO CUTE!

I love ferrets, I've wanted one for years... I'm hoping I can get one once I live somewhere that I can ferret-proof appropriately (currently a college student, so it'll be a while). I'm definitely bookmarking this video - absolutely adorable.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #5  

Thanks! Yes, that's a very responsible descision-ours are confined to play in the bathroom because we're living with my father in law, and that's the only ferret proof place here. When hubby ships, they'll have a much bigger place to romp. I like it when they can have free roam through the day, but it hasn't been possible living here. That's cool though-soon enough. Ferrets are fun, fun; but they are seriously expensive and time consuming. I love mine, but they're really not for some people. However, I find that they're really rewarding to keep.

Also, I have taught them to do tricks, too. It's great bonding time. Here's a vid of Fiddler doing roll over. He and Oz now know shake hands, roll over, turn in a circle, stand, and play dead. Shiloh and Hiro only know roll over and shake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLewPD6i-4c

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 04-01-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

How do you teach them tricks? I have three of my own Stevie Rae, Command Station, and Marshmallow. Stevie actually has an adrenal problem And CS is deaf. But they're the best pets ever. They play and wrestle with the cats too.

Honestly though I tend to discourage a lot of people from getting them. All of mine were rescues because people don't get that they need a lot of attention, cleaning, and expensive food. Stevie was actually found wandering the streets at only a pound After some TLC he's up to 2 1/2. And doesn't have a big belly either. lol.
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

They are wicked cute! I wish I had half as much energy!! I love ferrets -- I used to be a manager at Petsmart and people regularly abandoned animals there. Once there was a box left with 2 ferrets inside.

Technically the staff isn't allowed to take home any abandoned animals, but we ALWAYS did, that's how I got my puppy.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli21 View Post
How do you teach them tricks? I have three of my own Stevie Rae, Command Station, and Marshmallow. Stevie actually has an adrenal problem And CS is deaf. But they're the best pets ever. They play and wrestle with the cats too.

Honestly though I tend to discourage a lot of people from getting them. All of mine were rescues because people don't get that they need a lot of attention, cleaning, and expensive food. Stevie was actually found wandering the streets at only a pound After some TLC he's up to 2 1/2. And doesn't have a big belly either. lol.
Teaching tricks isn't so hard. I started with Roll over, which I feel is easiest. Have a treat (I like to use freezedried meat treats) in hand, take the ferret, physically roll him/her over and then reward them. Do a few times per session, and do it everyday until they get it. Even a handfed piece of their normal food can be a special treat if coming from mom's hands.

Yes, I do generally discourage people from getting ferrets unless they've done a ton of research, can handle the demand of expensive vet bills, and the demand of needy/sick fuzzies. I am so glad that you have these rescues; I feel like people that help needy ferrets are angels because they are very hard to deal with compared to cats/dogs-but the payoff is so great.

Oh, Dorian, it is a shame that so many irresponsible people take in pets only to turn them out on the doorsteps of pet stores and shelters. Ferrets are really hard to take care of at times-they do exactly what you don't want them to do at exactly the wrong times. They're so fun, but they're also a bundle of trouble. People quickly find that they aren't all fun and games and abandon them. I wish I had room for all of those unwanted furbabies in my business, but I have to be responsible too and not take more than I can handle. Four is my limit.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

They are adorable!! It'll be cool when they get their own room; y'all can chase each other around Good points y'all mentioned, on costs and difficulty of care. For me, the most expensive ferret costs are their housing (bigger cages/pens) and vet bills if they get health problems One of mine came from a ferret rescue and the other came from Craigslist. I couldn't buy a ferret from a pet store after seeing the rescue ferrets (nothing wrong with them but for whatever reason, their owners gave them up). Any future ferrets will come from the rescue. Like the saying says, "Don't Shop- ADOPT"

Good job on you, FerretFanatic, because I bet that's a big/demanding job, caring for four of them But like you said, they are great antidepressants. No one could be sad after cuddling a furry or watching them play.
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #10  

I know-I can't wait for hubby to ship-I give them as much playtime as possible outside in their pen and in the bathroom. They tire themselves out and play but I miss being able to play chase and giving towel rides. They used to be more free roaming in a few blocked off designated areas, and sometimes, they'd curl up with me for a nap. I miss that too.

Our future furs will also be shelter babies in the future when ours cross the bridge. I prefer to take in the less manageable ones because a lot of people don't understand their bad behavior-like biting. A lot of times, previously mistreated fuzz are fear biters and you have to be willing to gain their trust and love. I think I would be up to that challenge.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

I wanted a ferret for a long time, but I did do the research and I know I can't handle the responsibility of a ferret. I didn't know how careful you have to be in what they eat.
I talked myself out of having one, and we have our Fishy cat instead. If the oppertunity ever comes up and I can handle having one, I'll be really prepared to be a good mommy.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

Ferrets are fabulous. My husband and I ran an unofficial ferret rescue for a while.....this means, people just started dumping ferrets on us. We had 6 at one point. We finally got down to just 1, and my mom fell utterly in love with her, so we let my mom keep her. She's since passed, due to adrenal cancer, but she was an amazing critter. We'll have another one day, but not right now. This isn't a good ferret house, too many ways out.

Man they are funny little guys!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #13  
Meh

Absolutely adorable! I miss our resident ferret, Tabitha. She belongs to one of my sons and when he moved out of home Tabitha went with him.

Do your ferrets 'borrow' food and store it? Both Tabitha and the ferret (Gabby) owned by my son's girlfriend have a tendency to help themselves to accessible food, with Gabby being able to pilfer from cupboards, and store their ill gotten gains in all manner of places. Both are well fed.
Parenthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #14  

Crystal, that is a very responsible descion, for sure. Many people don't think it through and then as OhMyDogs said, they get dumped on other people or rescues or even the side of the road to fend for themselves. They are a ton of responsibility, but for the right person, they're perfect. I need something to nurture. And yeah, they basically are what they eat even more so than humans-I find that raw fed furs smell a ton less and poop less. There are some quality kibbles though, but it's less expensive for me to feed them raw and it's an added benefit to their health. ^_^

OhMyDogs, that's awesome that you had a 'rescue' for a bit-There really should be more rescues for ferrets. Most humane societies are ill equipped to handle them. We too fell in love with them and never looked back!

Parenthesis, ours certainly would had they access to it. We've learned to keep the little beggars at bay by setting up blocks and such and learning to keep our food and drink up high. :P. Sometimes they do like to store their meat in different spots in their cage or try to take it to stash around their play areas-yuck! It's one of the less glamourous jobs of a ferrent to find a chicken wing in your underwear drawer. >.< They're totally worth it though.

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 04-11-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #15  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

They are just too much cuteness. I miss my ferrets so much, but I can't have any right now. This house is not a good place for them, plus we have 3 cats who don't even get along with each other and a rambunctious toy poodle. One day ...
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote