Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:50 PM   #1  

Talking Thanks, That's JUST what I needed to hear!

What are the most motivating words for you to hear when you're in a slump?

I am not only going to learn from them, but going to write them down in my planner next to your name and keep them on hand when YOU NEED a boost!

So, in a way, you are telling me the secret to motivating you. And you'll have to give me a hint when you need to hear it.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:46 PM   #2  
Losing Again!

Angi what a good idea! You're awesome!

For me, it's usually a matter of deciding if I want the "oatmeal cream pie"--that I didn't buy, that was there for me to eat in Max & George's Pantry--or do I want to wear those size 10 jeans hanging in my hallway?

The past couple of weeks the cream pies--or "cookie pies" as Max calls them--have been winning. But after I eat it, I'm disappointed and frustrated with myself, because that's 4 whole points I've wasted.

I think my phrase is: What do you want?
(Which coincidentally, I can say, while belching ) Aren't you glad I shared that.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:35 PM   #3  
missaprylj

you could whip out the threat of any health problems cause by obesity on me..... *shudders* great idea, Angi! This is so thoughtful. -Apryl

Old 05-07-2003, 12:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i've been thinking about this for a few hours, since you first posted it. i haven't come up with the perfect answer yet.

the only thing coming to mind is the quote

"nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

i'll tell you more if i figure out my weakness!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #5  

Someone once told me that dieting is a choice of how I want to be remembered. Meaning, do I want my children to remember me in their childhood as a mom who can and will play, run, and even walk with them or as the mom who sits on the side and watches and longs to be there.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #6  
Student of the Hoof

This is a good thought provoker. There are so many different things, depending on my mood. One big one is kind of like Denise's - but it's more like how do I want my children to live, and am I being a good example of that? Can I teach my daughter and son to eat in a healthy manner? Can I teach them to love themselves, take care of themselves, respect themselves? I think the only real way to teach is by example, and being a good example is NOT what I've done for the last 13 years. So, now I'm trying, and it's making a difference, but it will only make a difference if I stick to it.

The other thing is much like Daners. What do I want? What is my priority? To be healthy and fit, or to eat that ice cream (or skip the exercise, or whatever) and not accomplish my goals?

I had to use that one on myself this morning get my Pilates done.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:20 PM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Kidneys. That is the magic word that brings it all back for me.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:21 PM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

I think I got this from Sandi or someone on here

The Key To EVERYTHING is patience. You get the chicken by HATCHING the egg, not SMASHING it.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Um, let's see. Heart attack is right up there, followed by cancer. Plus sometimes I get visions of ambulance drivers trying to lift me up onto a gurney. Except for a disability, I'm pretty healthy so I don't know what that's all about, but it really is pretty motivating. Maybe I watch too much "ER" and "Third Watch."

"Another vacation in Hawaii" would be a good motivating phrase for me. This time I want to be able to get back in the sea kayak without feeling like a beached whale!

Hhmm, maybe I will reward myself with another Hawaiian vacation when I reach goal. Now that will get my family on the bandwagon, too, since they'd be going also!
Old 05-07-2003, 02:39 PM   #10  
Still Hanging Around:)

One of my biggest issues right now is my circulation, and the fear of getting adult-onset diabetes like my Grandma did. She died in January of 2000. She'd have both legs amputated before she died, suffered from diabetic retinopathy.... I am scared of heart disease...

Besides that... my biggest motivators are my children. I want to be the kind of mom who enjoys getting out there and playing with them. I want to go on the school bus on field trips, and not have to worry about the seating arrangements. I want to feel good about myself.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #11  

"Never trade what you want at the moment for what you want the most."

You can tell it's my favorite because I use it in my signature! Anyway, it just seems to fit... for everything.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:19 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

oooo! Mantras! I love mantras.

When I want to give up exercizing or I need to do 20 more minutes and I want to poop out, I repeat (as necessary):
"I am Xena Warrior Princess. Grrrrrr!"

When I want to eat the entire pantry say the Mantra of the Ex's (names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent):
"Jon, Mark, Yo, BugGirl, Jeff...."
(You have to be bitter and spiteful and love revenge for this to work).
Old 05-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #13  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Duh...I finally figured out one for me - it's in my signature on the WW board, for goodness sake!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Old 05-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #14  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

How thoughtful and cool a thread this is!

Mine would have to be:

"Start living the life you've always dreamed about."

It takes a lot of efort to make this dream come true (being thin and healthy) but visulaizing myself there ~ imagining everyone's reactions that haven't seen me in a long time ~ sounds more delicious to me than any food I can think of.

*smiles*
Old 05-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #15  

I don't know. I wish I did. I'll have to give it some thought. It'll give me another thing to ponder while I walk on the treadmill. It is very interesting to read all these posts though and everyone of these thoughts should be able to get us all eating right and moving but what works for me one time might not work the next.
Closed Thread