South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Water weight/retention - my experience

For the last two months I have struggled with my weight and serious water retention issues around TOM and being sick. Not only was I not seriously on plan but I also was not drinking enough water. I am someone who really needs to drink at least 80 - 100oz. of water a day to feel physically at my best. Perhaps some need less; but I don't really believe all that stuff they are saying now about not needing as much water and other liquids counting as water. For me, it's always been straight water, and a lot of it.

After weeks of not drinking enough water, yesterday I "water loaded" and forced myself to drink at least 120 oz. over the course of the day. I drank it evenly, not huge amounts at one time. I stopped drinking around 6pm but during the night got up and had 3 huge pees and this morning I had lost 3 lbs. So my body was finally able to release some of the water it had been holding on to. Now even if I do cheat I am COMMITTED to getting in my water. Just wanted to share - that if you are gaining or not losing and retaining water, try upping your consumption a lot.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Yup! Me too!!! Great news on the 3 lbs!!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Matilda, I really needed this post this morning! I drink practically no water - just half a glass morning and night with my pills. Right now I am going to put 64 oz. of water and a few slices of lemon into my pretty crystal jug and leave it on the counter for the day. I hope it's empty by 6 P.M. Tomorrow is the 31st and glugging may help me drop those two pesky pounds so I can meet my March goal.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #4  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I'm the same way. I need tons of water. If I don't have my water, not only do I gain "weight," but my skin doesn't look as clear, my mental state is foggy, I get tired easily and my endurance is lacking in the gym! It is important stuff!

Good post!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Your post is a real inspiration, Matilda. I'm the same as Ruth, I drink very little water, especially during the colder months. But I always told myself that was OK, since I drink tons of hot tea throughout the day. I'm beginning to believe that's not true, though, and am going to strive to sip on water all through the day and see if it makes a big difference.

Thanks, Matilda, for making us more aware.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #6  

Ruth, when at work I fill up two 32 oz. jars with brita water and some unsweetened cranberry juice or a splash of Vitamin Water Zero just to add a bit of flavor. My goal is to drink both bottles during the day. I need to start doing a visual like this at home too on the weekends. I always fall short when I "guestimate."
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #7  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

Thank you for this post! I think this is one of the pieces I've been missing lately. I have a nice big reusable water bottle here at work and access to filtered cold water.. I've just been lazy
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #8  

Yesterday I made some tea with one ginger tea bag and one peach tea bag, let it cool, and mixed it with plain water for my two water bottles at work...we'll see how it works! I really like to have some flavor, but don't like to add artificial sweeteners.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #9  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

I was going to drink more water yesterday but the toilets in our office overflowed and we had to use the bathrooms in the building across the parking lot for most of the day. For as much as I enjoy a walk.. well.. I didn't want to be over there every hour!

Today is a new day, though.
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 7"

Matilda,

I think I needed this post, I too have been having a lot of retention problems and now reflecting back I have not been drinking as much water as I used to when I was steadily losing when I first started. I am going to commit to drinking atleast 64 ozs of Water a day and see what happens. I keep thinking something is wrong with my hormones and it might just be not enough water.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #11  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Ok, you got my attention. Even though I'm limited on how much water I can have a day (32 oz), I don't think I've even been drinking that so will pay more attention and make sure I get the maximum allowed each day. Good post.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote