Old 03-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #1  
Trimming the fat

S/C/G: 163/163/120

Height: 5'1

Default Calorie count cooking question

Alright, so I am a huge fan of home cooked meals. I cook almost every day. I find it really easy to make individually portioned meals for myself and figure the calories for said meal. However, I'm having difficulties with large meals. I made spaghetti this weekend and I want to make sure I did the math correctly. I started off by getting the calorie/fat content on the nutrition facts area of each package of ingredients. I multiplied the stated calories by the amount of servings in each (since nutrition facts are labelled for one serving instead of the entire container.) I also added the total ingredients together in ounces. I then divided the total meal calorie count (4380) with the total ounces (88) to figure that each ounce contains 50 calories. 8 oz=1 cup so therefor 1 cup of my spaghetti contains 400 calories. Is this the correct way to figure the calories for a large meal? Sorry if that is a little confusing; it's a lot of math lol.

Last edited by LadyWraith; 03-29-2011 at 09:39 PM.
LadyWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Yup that is right! Although with spaghetti it is a little harder because the serving size is for uncooked spaghetti. I notice that spaghetti weighs more cooked. I did spaghetti separate once so I could know how much a serving weighs cooked.
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #3  
Trimming the fat

S/C/G: 163/163/120

Height: 5'1

Oh crap! I should have thought of the pasta serving thing since rice is the same! Well, I suppose my count will be a little off. I suppose I could look it up on a calorie counting site however, it's gluten free pasta so it would probably be slightly different. Thanks for confirming my math is correct though! I'm pretty horrible with math (especially equations) so it's nice to hear I did it right.
LadyWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Sparkpeople has a great recipe calculator, because you can pick items that you enter the calorie count for (not just the generic items on the list).
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote