Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/184/114

Height: 5"0'

Unhappy Tips for shakes?

Right now I'm on the purification diet (Standard Process, 21 day detox) It reminds me a lot of The Fat Smash diet that I tried...the only difference is shakes with supplements. Now, I've noticed some real benefits. More energy, Bowel movement every day (as opposed to every week or more... ) and I'm starting to fit into some tight jeans a bit better. My biggest problem? THE SHAKES. They are disgusting, horrible, gritty. My husband said just to pretend like it's liquid grits...which made it WORSE. I don't know if it's the smell of the supplements or not. Has any one else been on this clense/diet before? Any suggestions? I can add as much spices as I want no sugar of course...So any advice to make this things a little more drinkable? I have to drink 3x. Right now my shake consists of blueberry, banana, strawberry, supplement powder, vanilla soy milk.... I hate this. These should taste good but they just have no taste and smell like vitamins. Makes me sick
PandaSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This is why I could never do a plan like this. Why would you want to spend your time and money eating something that tastes horrible, instead of eating healthy whole foods? Both "cleanse" you the same way!

So, my first advice would be to stop trying to force yourself to eat something that you don't enjoy. IMO, life is too short, especially when you can get great results with delicious veggies, proteins, fruits, etc.

If you're really sold on this plan, I guess you could try different spices, and/or blending with ice in the blender to try to hide the texture.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 03-29-2011 at 12:12 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #3  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Have you tried freezing the banana? It makes it thicker and may cover the grittiness some. Also, the blueberries have a stronger taste than the strawberries. Can you use all blueberries to help mask the taste? Or add cherries instead of strawberries - they have a stronger taste too and you can get all your fruit frozen so you don't have to worry about it going bad. Also makes the smoothie consistency more like a milkshake. When I make smoothies, I use almond milk instead and it adds a sweet taste (but I understand why you use soy).
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Could you throw it in a blender and add a bit more water?
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #5  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

I've been in your shoes before one summer. My parents bought three months worth of shakes + supplements for me because they were horrified I had gained so much weight. It tastes horrible no matter what you do to it. Watering it down just prolongs the taste. I ended up drinking it within 30 seconds and trying not to think about the taste. I had to fight the gag reflex I would get from the taste.

My flavors were fruit, coffee, chocolate and vanilla.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I was going to suggest putting a straw in it and plugging your nose and sucking back as much as you can, as fast as you can.

I'm the kind of person though, who can get anything down if it has a straw in it and if I can plug my nose. I try to have a "chaser" handy too (even just water...something to wash the taste/texture out of you mouth).
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Problem - shakes taste horrible

Solution - don't drink shakes

Do you really think the shakes have some kind of magical ingredients that are causing weight loss, increased energy, and regular bowl movements?

If you want to have a ton of energy, lose weight, and have regular daily bowel movements you need to:

Eat healthy foods, be in a caloric deficit, and make sure to get plenty of fiber.

The best part of doing it without shakes is that it is completely sustainable and you're eating food that tastes good.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I had a chiro who wanted me to do the shakes. I flat out refused (and he's no longer my chiropractor). Did you pay a lot for them? Can you give them to somebody else? You can get vitamins and supplements in ways that aren't disgusting and hard to swallow.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Shake diets are gross you can definitely lose weight just eating healthy and fill a lot more happy and satisfied. Part of losing weight is about changing your life style and learning healthy eating habits. Even if you lose weight on the shakes you will probably end up going right back to eating the way you use to and end up back where you started and then what? Buy more nasty shakes? Doesn't sound like a good plan.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote