Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Stupid scales

So I have a digital scale but after I had my baby it kept saying I was 217 even though at my docs office with clothes on their scale said like 212 or so. So I went and bought a regular scale and it says Im 7 lbs less then the digital. (it shows my loss the digital doesn't they both started at 212 and only the regular one shows the loss) the thing is I put a 40lb weight on both and they were both right for that small amount, but I would like to know which one would you trust. Should I just stick with my regular scale and trust what it says or am I actually heavier then I thought and should go with the digital one?
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #2  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

That is really difficult. I have only used a digital scale because I feel like I can alter a regular scale.. I bought one at walmart (digital) and it has a memory and keeps track of how much weight was gained or loss since the last weigh in..I think you should use the one you feel more comfortable with. Maybe there is a reset for the digital scale? I dont know anything about scales. Sorry
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #3  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Can you get any heavier weights to test? Many scales are good at lighter weights but are more inaccurate at heavy weights.

Also, do you have a bed bath and beyond or something similar where you live? They normally have a ton of scales that you could try out. So you could go there weight yourself then go directly home and weight yourself to see what is the most accurate.

I've just come to accept that different scales produce different results so I try to go by the difference i that I see rather than getting caught up in the number itself.

Also, why not take measurements so you can see a difference that way too?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

I'd go with the doctors scale and which ever scale reflects that.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #5  
Keep on Keep'in on

S/C/G: 174/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree. Measurements would be the most accurate!

The only problem with measuring for me is.. I never remember where or how to measure the right spot over and over.
Andrbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Eh, measurements are overrated - for me at least. I have lost 17 pounds without seeing a difference in waist, chest, hips, thigh or upper arm measurements. My clothes are fitting looser, so I know i'm losing, but not losing at my measuring points!

And yes, if the doctor's scale says 212, then use the scale that reflects that. Going to BBB helps too.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #7  

Have you tried changing the battery? That might be a simple solution. Digital is more accurate. I know mine is 1/2 pound off WW but that doesn't bother me. As long as you weight on the same scale, your loss will be accurate.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I can't stand scales. My doctor's clinics always have me 10 pounds heavier than home or work scales. At my office (a health department with public health nurses), we have that super old fashion one. It's accurate but I don't like weighing in after I've had my morning breakfast and lots of water. I know it'll be basically accurate every day since I always eat/drink the exact same. But it'd be higher than I would see at home before breakfast.

I bought a gorgeous Taylor scale from Target but it broke (from the water in the bathroom???). I was so frustrated.

Now I'm relying on clothes and measurements. I lost weight in 2009 but gained some back after lots of physical issues. I'm trying to get back to my skinniest clothes plus get in to this awesome dress (lowest weight of 2009 minus about 5 to 7 pounds). I've got a few of my 2009 pants back in my daily wardrobe and looking forward to my skinny Spring/Summer stuff. They "fit" but not for public. ;-)

I'm basically boycotting scales. They're just too frustrating.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #9  
kissing the fat goodbye

I say just pick one and stick with it. If you go with the digital keep a journal of the starting weight it stated and as you lose weight just subtract from what you started or do the same with the regular scale. Regardless the goal is to lose weight until you are happy with your appearance.

Last edited by Waisthipsandthighs; 03-29-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Waisthipsandthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Oh scales! I know the frustration. I myself am forced to use a cheap analogue one that I know isn't giving me the best results. I think it's the consistency that matters though. The whole purpose is to measure the change in your body. No matter what you're using (digital, analogue, measuring, mirror, etc) you are gonna get mixed results when you lose that consistency.

It sounds odd but the period I had the most weight loss was when I didn't have a scale or measuring tape. I eyeballed in the mirror and paid attention to the way my clothes fit and what size I was at. Now I'm totally scale addicted lol...
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Yes I changed the batteries and reset it. The thing is I used the regular scale at the beginning of the week 3/21. It said 212 so then I weighed my self a week latter it said 205 ish lol. I decided to try the digi scale that day and it said 212 still BUMMER! But then I thought this other one has to be working because it showed the loss slowly I weighed my self more then once in the week. I just always thought that digi scales where more accurate. I guess I am just going to stick with the regular one. as for measurements man I am horrible at those I do them so wrong but I guess I can just use my mirror and jeans too but the scale is just a nice way to see it before you SEE it. Anyways thanks all!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote