South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Looking for help planning a quick 20 minute morning workout

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice/feedback on developing a 20 minute workout I can do at home in the morning without equipment or tv. I used to go to the gym at every lunchtime; but now, I sometimes really need that lunchtime to run errands or whatever. I don't have any time after work as I have to get right home to my son who is either at home with a sitter or I need to pick him up at his after school program. The earliest my husband gets home is 7pm, and realistically at that time I am not going to go out to the gym (would keep me awake the rest of the night). I can probably commit to getting to the gym 2x per week at lunch (and plan to do the rowing machine on those days) and 1 or 2x on the weekend to swim.

I was thinking a combination of push ups, some pilates work and jumping jacks or marching in place or something like that. I'm pretty fit so I'm looking for something that would be strenous. Specific suggestions from all you fitness buffs would be great. 20 minutes is my time limit. Thanks!!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #2  
Be happy.

I know you said no equipment but have you thought about hooping?
Quick and easy and it's really changed the shape of my waistline and hips.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #3  

hula hooping? I could buy a hula hoop, but what do I do, just start hooping?

Last edited by Mmckellen; 03-29-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

A $20 mini trampoline does wonderous things for you.....and 20 mins would kill you!!!

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise...and-health.htm

Last edited by kmac1196; 03-29-2011 at 06:46 AM.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #5  
Be happy.

Yup. That's all I do. Some do tricks and things, but twirling the hoop to music is fun and effective so I've never bothered to work on any of the fancy stuff.

Adult hoops (I think they're called fitness hoops, too) are a little bigger and they're heavier. That makes them easier to spin, use more calories and work your muscles more than the light weight kids' hoops do.

We made mine from PVC tubing. If you're interested, just google hooping or hula hooping. You'll find everything from hoops for sale, to hooping forums to you tube videos.

Last edited by Heidi58; 03-29-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #6  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

What about checking out some videos from the library? I have some Tae Bo videos that are about 20 minutes long.

Um, just reread your post and saw the "no equipment or TV" part. Sorry......

I'll keep thinking.

Last edited by tomandkara; 03-29-2011 at 07:13 AM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I picked up a few things from one of the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout videos that I do sometimes as a break from my elliptical, or as a "circuit" with the elliptical....and from other places...

Jumping Jacks
Jump Rope (if no rope, just jump like you have one)
Mountain Climbers
"Plank jacks" - plank position, then "jump" out and back in with your feet
Cross-Country Ski-type motion
Front cross punches
Front kicks

And on and on...Simple, yet effective...

I'm personally intrigued by the mini trampoline...gonna check that out!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #8  

I have thought of a mini tramp, but my ceilings are too low I believe (9 foot). Mindi, what are mountain climbers?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 7"

Do you have weights, you can do circuit training routine then. Do Cardio like Jumping jacks or jump rope (without the rope) for a couple of minutes and then do weights for couple of minutes various exercise and then back to cardio and do several reptitions. That will burn a lot of calories and will be vigorous. I know some of my videos by heart so I could do them without actually watching them.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Try BodyRock.tv

Her workout are short, but killer. I've seen a definite change in the definition of my muscles since I started doing her workouts two weeks ago. they are difficult and require a lot of heart, but most do not require equipment, and if they do, the equipment is pretty easy to fashion yourself if you don't want to buy it. she uses a lot of bodyweight exercises in fast repetition that blows through fat and calories. I would highly HIGHLY recommend them. I'm using a combo of three different exercises of hers per week, plus a combo of different cardio classes offered at my gym (kickboxing, step, cycling and pilates) plus some strength training circuits to power through these last few pounds. i've been pretty steadily losing about a pound a week, which considering the fact that it takes some people a year to lose the last 10 lbs. is something I'm sort of proud of.

and always remember, how you look is 90% what you put in your mouth and 10% how much you move.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #11  

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's a little routine I came up with:
-sun salutations w/down dog (3)
-jumping jacks(100)
-push ups (30)
-forward bends (100)
-jumping jacks (100)
-pilates (5 mins)
-jumping jacks (100)
-side twists (50)

I'll try this tomorrow morning and time myself to see how long it takes.

Last edited by Mmckellen; 03-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I like your routine, I but I'd like to see more strengthening of the large muscle groups in the legs and also the arms.

You could do squats, lunges, wall sits (love these!), and calf raises for the lower body. You could do push ups for the arms, chest and shoulders. Planks are great for the core.

100 of anything would do me in. I'd be bored stiff. I'd rather vary it up and do more exercises in the same amount of time.

For cardio, you could do suicides in whatever room you have available. Let's say as you walk across your family room the first item you come to is your couch, then you coffee table, then a child's toy on the floor, then the wall. You run to the couch and touch the floor, back to the wall and touch the floor, run to the coffee table and touch the floor, run back to the wall, then run to the toy and touch the floor and back to the wall and touch the floor, etc. It's back and forth and back forth. This really gets the heart rate up and is more interesting than running in place...or 100 jumping jacks.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #13  

My issue is that I need to be able to do this workout in my living room before anyone in the house wakes up. The living room is right next to my son's room so I have to be quiet. I don't really have room to run around (living room is 12 x 18 and is also the dining room.) I need stuff I can do on the space of a yoga mat! Wall sits are a possibility as are lunges. I'll try to incorporate those.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Re low celings...my old house was barely over 6 foot ceilings ( converted cottage) and I had no problems jumping. I do it now in my basement with 6 foot ceilings and don't come close to the ceiling. You really aren't jumping all that high like you think you would. Really, 9 feet are more then enough! Helps with cellulite too!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #15  

Kmac, I clicked on your link and am VERY intrigued. Where do you get one for $20? It would be good for my son too.