General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/184/114

Height: 5"0'

Default Enriched Long Grain Rice vs Brown Rice?

So, my husband and I started a new plan today to get us started with eating right. We were making what we thought was brown rice in our cooker but it turns out we accidentally bought "Uncle Bens Parboiled Long Grain Enriched Rice" I don't know whether it's brown or white. After doing a bit of research if it is white or not, still don't know but it seems like there is less calories(170), 0 sodium and gluten free.

Has any one else given this rice a try with their diet?
PandaSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #2  

Parboiled rice retains much of the nutrients. If you google it, you will be able to make an informed choice. Good luck.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

It's white. Parboiled means it is partially cooked, which is why it doesn't take as long to prepare. Enriched means they added some nutrients back into it, like they do with enriched white bread.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If it were brown rice, it would say "brown rice" or "whole grain rice."

All rice is uber low-sodium and glulten-free, and enriched just means they added back in some of what they took out.

The biggest issue with polished rices (white rices) and even more so with the parboiled rices is that the fiber has been removed and the starches are higher glycemic (affect blood sugar more dramatically, and tend to leave many people hungrier).

My view of polished rices (until I realized I was allergic to or intolerant of wheat) "better than white bread, but not by much."

My husband loves long-grained white rice, so he makes this awesome pilaf that includes long-grained white rice (basmati or jasmati), brown-rices (his favorite is a black and mahogany rice mix he finds at the healthfood store), wild rice, millet, quinoa, and amaranth. Awesome stuff, but even as healthy and whole-grain as it is, I have to be careful with portions, because I tend to overeat even the best "good carbs."

Last edited by kaplods; 03-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote